The Student Room Group

Am I weird?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
She is no doctor. She is asking IF IT MAY be ASD but her we are back to base one. If autism is taken seriously or not in society is a topic for another day. I'm going to say this once more and I hope you understand, the OP is not making fun of autism in her post. She is just asking if what she does is a sign of ASD

None of you actually understand and it’s extremely frustrating, shows you really need to be informed of autism and take it seriously. None of you understand how offensive this is because none of you have autism.
I don't get why people do come to the assumption that whatever weird thing they do means they could have autism lol. Everyone does something weird but that doesn't mean anything whatsoever usually.
Original post by jackmarshal757
Shut up, just because you do something abnormal or weird, it’s not a sign you have ASD. Go make fun of some other disability, actually don’t, permanently log off thank you.

She wasn't making fun of it?
Original post by Qxi.xli

Kinda does seem like they were.
None of you actually understand and it’s extremely frustrating, shows you really need to be informed of autism and take it seriously. None of you understand how offensive this is because none of you have autism.

My siblings have autism, so I do understand. I see where you're coming from but I don't see how the OP is making fun of autism. You best believe I've been out in public with my siblings and people have said such ****. The OP isn't making fun of autism and I hope you see that.
Original post by qxi.xli
she wasn't making fun of it?

exactlyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Original post by RainbowCloud01
My siblings have autism, so I do understand. I see where you're coming from but I don't see how the OP is making fun of autism. You best believe I've been out in public with my siblings and people have said such ****. The OP isn't making fun of autism and I hope you see that.

I mean, if you are coming to the assumption you have autism just because you do 1 weird thing it does seem quite offensive to those that are autistic.
Clearly no one knows what was in OPs mind when they wrote the first post but I certainly didn't read it as they were making fun of anyone. I think it's time to drop this debate into it now as it could be upsetting to OP if they were genuienly looking for advice, as I believe they were.
Original post by sufys12
i mean, if you are coming to the assumption you have autism just because you do 1 weird thing it does seem quite offensive to those that are autistic.

oh ffs. She was asking if anyone who has asd does this or is it something other than asd
oh ffs. She was asking if anyone who has asd does this or is it something other than asd

I have ASD and I do not do this, however there are many symptoms for autism.
Original post by RainbowCloud01

exactlyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Original post by Qxi.xli

It’s the assumption that weird behaviour automatically means it’s autism. The word ‘autism’ is thrown around a lot by people, just simply as a passing joke, to describe someone’s behaviour if they do something weird, that’s why autism isn’t taken seriously and I wouldn’t expect any of you to understand or know because you don’t actually have autism. It’s just as offensive as joking about other protected characteristics such as race or sexuality and it should be treated as such. You’ve got multiple people with ASD saying that this is offensive.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hiya :smile: TSR isn’t a platform to make diagnoses on, most users aren’t trained medically and can only talk from personal experience.
If you have concerns then I’d advise making an appointment with your GP?
Original post by sufys12
I mean, if you are coming to the assumption you have autism just because you do 1 weird thing it does seem quite offensive to those that are autistic.

But equally autistic people can sometimes over react because they can misread situations. It could be offensive to OP to feel attacked over asking a question so possibly being offended works both ways.
OP just go see a doctor lol🙄
Original post by harrysbar
But equally autistic people can sometimes over react because they can misread situations. It could be offensive to OP to feel attacked over asking a question so possibly being offended works both ways.

I don't think I am overreacting. Clearly my assumption makes sense.
Clearly no one knows what was in OPs mind when they wrote the first post but I certainly didn't read it as they were making fun of anyone. I think it's time to drop this debate into it now as it could be upsetting to OP if they were genuienly looking for advice, as I believe they were.

Have you seen the other posts this user has made? They’re a troll anyways.

Apparently this user is friends with celebrities and has a weird brother.
(edited 3 years ago)

And this is why people with autism are never taken seriously, when we raise an issue we’re always told we’re overreacting because we have autism. You have no idea how difficult it is for those with autism.
Have you seen the other posts this user has made? They’re a troll anyways.

Apparently this user is friends with celebrities and has a weird brother.

No I haven't seen their other posts and maybe that provides some context I was unaware of. But on the face of it, their question does not seem like OP set out to offend anyone.
this sounds like stimming, which could be a sign of autism. i’d recommend looking more into autism to see if you have other traits. speaking to your GP if you feel as though you relate to such traits would be the most sensible idea
No I haven't seen their other posts and maybe that provides some context I was unaware of. But on the face of it, their question does not seem like OP set out to offend anyone.

I’m done, this is extremely frustrating, because no one with autism actually understands this and always seems to willingly ignore it.

Quick Reply

Latest