The Student Room Group

Drop out of uni for an apprenticeship?

I am in my first year of studying paramedic science but I’ve been having second thoughts for a while. Starting to think that uni really isn’t for me and I’d prefer to be hands on and making money.
I’d like to start looking into apprenticeships whilst I’m studying but someone told me that I may get rejected because I’ve received a higher level of training already? I’m not sure if this just applies if the apprenticeship is related to your degree though?
Would appreciate any advice, am still considering if it’s the right thing to do..
getting rejected is incorrect - no one is ever 'too qualified' for an apprenticeship - if you feel thats the best route for you, then definitely go for it!! all the best :smile:
Only thing I’d suggest is to not drop out of uni for an apprenticeship unless you have an offer.

Interviewers are human too, they’ll understand and sympathise with your situation.
Reply 3
Original post by Chris2892
Only thing I’d suggest is to not drop out of uni for an apprenticeship unless you have an offer.

Interviewers are human too, they’ll understand and sympathise with your situation.

Yup once you have an offer from the apprenticeship its safer to decide whether or not to drop.
Reply 4

So if I have an interview for an apprenticeship, should I tell them that I haven’t dropped out yet? Or should I only mention it if they bring it up?
Reply 5
Original post by aishahussain96_
getting rejected is incorrect - no one is ever 'too qualified' for an apprenticeship - if you feel thats the best route for you, then definitely go for it!! all the best :smile:

Thank you for your reassuring words :smile: I’ll take some more time in making a final decision but I am fairly sure
which uni
Original post by Heidil001
So if I have an interview for an apprenticeship, should I tell them that I haven’t dropped out yet? Or should I only mention it if they bring it up?

Just be honest.
Shouldn’t be a problem dropping out of university, However, I’d recommend you to clarify by speaking to a uni rep to get information about the process. At least this way you’re prepared to leave and answer any questions a potential employer may ask
Reply 8
Original post by taxonomy.
which uni

St. George’s university of London
Reply 9
Just be honest.
Shouldn’t be a problem dropping out of university, However, I’d recommend you to clarify by speaking to a uni rep to get information about the process. At least this way you’re prepared to leave and answer any questions a potential employer may ask

Okay that’s really helpful. Thank you so much for your advice! If I just talk to a rep about the process of dropping out that doesn’t mean I will be taken off of the course from then on does it?
I will probably need to enquire about this before I apply to apprenticeships so I can explain it better in interviews..
Okay that’s really helpful. Thank you so much for your advice! If I just talk to a rep about the process of dropping out that doesn’t mean I will be taken off of the course from then on does it?
I will probably need to enquire about this before I apply to apprenticeships so I can explain it better in interviews..

Reps are usually existing students anyway, they’re not likely to take it personally. I doubt even your course tutor would, they will likely want to make sure you’re well informed and making the right decision for you.
I am in my first year of studying paramedic science but I’ve been having second thoughts for a while. Starting to think that uni really isn’t for me and I’d prefer to be hands on and making money.
I’d like to start looking into apprenticeships whilst I’m studying but someone told me that I may get rejected because I’ve received a higher level of training already? I’m not sure if this just applies if the apprenticeship is related to your degree though?
Would appreciate any advice, am still considering if it’s the right thing to do..

The "get rejected for higher qualification" was related to funding, and isn't necessarily a thing any more. But you can't rely on your qualification to get the apprenticeship - you have to persuade them that you really want it.

The job market is really, really tough right now. If you don't have an offer then continue with the paramedic degree if you can. Remember your uni will have hardship funds you can access if necessary. You could also consider getting a bank job with an ambulance Trust or a private company, which will give you more experience but will pay you.

But equally, with student finance you're best not to start your second year if you're not fully decided you will continue. You are only entitled to one "gift year", so if you start your second year and then drop out you won't get student finance again for most degrees. This leaves you until September to decide so you do have a while, but it is something you need to consider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending