The Student Room Group

Retake my first year of uni or drop out?

Recently I have just resat two modules in August as I had failed them. One I believe I passed but the other however I don’t think I passed. Now I know the options of retake the whole year or drop out. My assessments for all the modules before haven’t been that great. I’ve been scraping passes (results ranging 40-60%) and if I do get the option of retaking the whole year I’m not sure if I want to. I like my course but I hate my uni. The whole first year was a pain and I hated it. I don’t think I can do it again, the thought of it is terrible and painful. Though I’m not sure what to do if I drop out. My a level grades were CCC yet my course required BBB and I managed to get it without clearing. But I fear if I drop out I can’t get back into the course with my a level grades, but I really really didn’t like my first year of uni. The way the course is set out and how we learn and placement, I don’t want to do it again. So I need some advice on what I should do? My parents expect me to retake the whole year but part of me wants to drop out and find an apprenticeship that I can do. I feel like uni isn’t for me, all the studying and exams make my mental health terrible and I’m not very smart. I really do wish I did a degree apprenticeship instead of being pushed to go to university. Though part of me is saying to suck it up and just repeat the year, but I can’t bare the thought of going to that uni again learning the same thing I already know. The uni marks attendance for every lecture and I live quite far and I don’t want to do all that again for a year I already learnt.
Reply 1
I dropped out last year and I regret it quite a lot. I would really think twice before you withdraw because you don't want to dropout and then just sit at home (which is basically what happened to me). For me, I really didn't like the course I was doing so I dropped out and assumed that I'd find something to do for the year until I go back the next year (which is this year). I was very capable of sticking with the course even though I didn't like it and in hindsight I would've just sucked it up and stuck out the year.

Also, if your serious about apprenticeships, don't just look at degree apprenticeships, look at level 4 as well because you can start in them and just move up gradually.

If your going to retake the year, your likely to do a lot better this time because you more or less know what to except since its the same course. Maybe this will motivate you to try a bit harder but my point being, think twice before just completely dropping out because it can really waste a whole year of your life.
Reply 2
Original post by noyou1234
I dropped out last year and I regret it quite a lot. I would really think twice before you withdraw because you don't want to dropout and then just sit at home (which is basically what happened to me). For me, I really didn't like the course I was doing so I dropped out and assumed that I'd find something to do for the year until I go back the next year (which is this year). I was very capable of sticking with the course even though I didn't like it and in hindsight I would've just sucked it up and stuck out the year.

Also, if your serious about apprenticeships, don't just look at degree apprenticeships, look at level 4 as well because you can start in them and just move up gradually.

If your going to retake the year, your likely to do a lot better this time because you more or less know what to except since its the same course. Maybe this will motivate you to try a bit harder but my point being, think twice before just completely dropping out because it can really waste a whole year of your life.

To be honest, I haven’t gotten the results back so I’m not sure if I actually failed the exam, though I really feel like I did fail.
My uni is telling me to still attend the lectures until the results come out in September which I find odd.

I’ve never looked into apprenticeships before so I’m not sure what to look for. I’m just thinking now so I could plan ahead incase I did fail. And if I plan to do an apprenticeship I could potentially look into a different career path/route.

The thought of retaking the year sounds terrible to me. I do a healthcare course and we did placement for 7 weeks at the end of first year and i found it terrible. Doing things with helping patients was fine but We would have to sign in and out all the time and if we didn’t we would have to make up the hours, 9-5pm and we would have to do a portfolio. I would come home a zombie since I do live far from uni. I also know that for the first years this time they’re changing up how they do the course. As in going placement early whereas I had placement at the end of the year. I never realised how intense my course was when I applied but the thought of doing the degree and getting a job in that field makes me want to do it.

I feel like if I do retake, I’ll slack off more because I have the revision notes for the modules and I won’t do anything until the last moment like I usually do. I really don’t like the uni and the thought of retaking while all my friends are in second year sounds scary to me and I don’t want to do that and be alone. I don’t have many friends and it was really hard making friends the first year. I don’t want to do that again
Reply 3
I think that you should take a break from uni and during the break take your time to think if nursing is for you and you can go through the apprenticeship if that's what you want and I understand that nursing can be draining. Explore and research other career opportunities. I wish you all the very best with your decisions. Take care of yourself and your mental health. Hugs💐💐💐
Reply 4
Original post by Ladyanny
I think that you should take a break from uni and during the break take your time to think if nursing is for you and you can go through the apprenticeship if that's what you want and I understand that nursing can be draining. Explore and research other career opportunities. I wish you all the very best with your decisions. Take care of yourself and your mental health. Hugs💐💐💐

I study radiography and it is very intense. Placement was fun in the aspect of xraying patients and looking at the X-ray images but studying and exams make my mental state terrible. I’m also unsure on what to tell my parents since they expect me to retake the year if I do fail. I haven’t mentioned anything about dropping out, I’ve only mentioned it to my sister.

Im just not sure of what happens if I do drop out. I dont want to regret it hugely but I feel more appealed to the thought of doing an apprenticeship I feel like I learn better on the job than being taught from slides of a PowerPoint.

thank you for your kind words though!! <3
Hi there, I thought I'd share my experience with you so you can hear some different opinions.

I got A*AA in my A-Levels, and was always one of the students that was heavily pushed into university. I never really had a subject I wanted to study further but I settled on Maths as it was my favourite subject at A-Level. I went to university and absolutely hated it from the start, both the course and the environment. I didn't understand, nor got any enjoyment out of what I was learning, and I hated being surrounded by people who just wanted to drink and go clubbing. It's safe to say it wasn't conducive to my late-night studying trying to understand my degree. I wanted to drop out at Christmas of first year but was encouraged to go back and sit my January exams. I failed one and passed the other with 40% - so basically failed both.

I ended up dropping out in March of first year and it was the best decision I've ever made for my mental health. I suffered massively whilst at university, and I knew I'd improve if I removed myself from that environment. Once I got home, I knew I wanted to pursue an apprenticeship and not return to university. I managed to secure a summer internship which would tide me over until September, but was always checking for new apprenticeships that popped up each day on the gov.uk website. Eventually I found one I liked, applied, and managed to get it! It's a Level 4, so a step-up from A-Level (Level 3), and I've absolutely loved it so far! I'm almost a year in and know I'm developing valuable skills for my career, and I'm not getting into any debt in the process.

This is in no way meaning to deter you from going back to university, but just know that if you put in the effort to look for jobs/apprenticeships, you will be able to find one for you. You just need that commitment to scour these job sites everyday until you do. It really isn't the end of the world if you drop out of university, and getting a degree isn't the only way to break into a career! I wish you all the best!
Reply 6
Original post by stillcrying
Hi there, I thought I'd share my experience with you so you can hear some different opinions.

I got A*AA in my A-Levels, and was always one of the students that was heavily pushed into university. I never really had a subject I wanted to study further but I settled on Maths as it was my favourite subject at A-Level. I went to university and absolutely hated it from the start, both the course and the environment. I didn't understand, nor got any enjoyment out of what I was learning, and I hated being surrounded by people who just wanted to drink and go clubbing. It's safe to say it wasn't conducive to my late-night studying trying to understand my degree. I wanted to drop out at Christmas of first year but was encouraged to go back and sit my January exams. I failed one and passed the other with 40% - so basically failed both.

I ended up dropping out in March of first year and it was the best decision I've ever made for my mental health. I suffered massively whilst at university, and I knew I'd improve if I removed myself from that environment. Once I got home, I knew I wanted to pursue an apprenticeship and not return to university. I managed to secure a summer internship which would tide me over until September, but was always checking for new apprenticeships that popped up each day on the gov.uk website. Eventually I found one I liked, applied, and managed to get it! It's a Level 4, so a step-up from A-Level (Level 3), and I've absolutely loved it so far! I'm almost a year in and know I'm developing valuable skills for my career, and I'm not getting into any debt in the process.

This is in no way meaning to deter you from going back to university, but just know that if you put in the effort to look for jobs/apprenticeships, you will be able to find one for you. You just need that commitment to scour these job sites everyday until you do. It really isn't the end of the world if you drop out of university, and getting a degree isn't the only way to break into a career! I wish you all the best!

Thank you so much for sharing your story! <3

how hard was it for you to find an apprenticeship? How long does it take once you apply to get interviewed or get accepted?
If I was to look for one I’m going in with no idea what career I want to do, I don’t even have a cv made but if I do make one I feel like barely anything will be on there. I’ve had a job before but I got it through my mother so I didn’t need an application.
I know different companies would be different but what was it like starting out? I don’t know much about apprenticeship but do you get assessed or examined on anything? How does it work?

i really do dislike how school push you into going to university, my school really pushed us into going uni. I feel like if I had found out about apprenticeships before I would’ve gone for it. I too am not a fan of clubbing or drinking but I’m not a smart student like you are so I’m not sure on what to do.

you sound like you knew that you really wanted to do an apprenticeship. I’m still not sure, I would love to do an apprenticeship but if I pass, then staying in uni is fine for me.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much for sharing your story! <3

how hard was it for you to find an apprenticeship? How long does it take once you apply to get interviewed or get accepted?
If I was to look for one I’m going in with no idea what career I want to do, I don’t even have a cv made but if I do make one I feel like barely anything will be on there. I’ve had a job before but I got it through my mother so I didn’t need an application.
I know different companies would be different but what was it like starting out? I don’t know much about apprenticeship but do you get assessed or examined on anything? How does it work?

i really do dislike how school push you into going to university, my school really pushed us into going uni. I feel like if I had found out about apprenticeships before I would’ve gone for it. I too am not a fan of clubbing or drinking but I’m not a smart student like you are so I’m not sure on what to do.

you sound like you knew that you really wanted to do an apprenticeship. I’m still not sure, I would love to do an apprenticeship but if I pass, then staying in uni is fine for me.

So, I was looking everyday pretty much for ones that I might like (as I knew I didn’t want to go into engineering and they’re the most common ones where I live). It was about 2 and a half months after I’d dropped out that I found the apprenticeship I’m doing now. I’d seen others in that time but they weren’t quite what I was looking for. Apprenticeships are added surprisingly frequently so I don’t think it would be too long before you found one.

I had my interview about a month after applying, and was then accepted a week after that. I also didn’t know what career I wanted to go into, but I looked at the skills required and thought it suited me, and looked up what types of things it covers online and on YouTube. My apprenticeship is in project management, which is also a pretty stable career so I knew it would be quite a good option for me after having dropped out of university. The apprenticeship I applied for also didn’t ask for a CV as the application wanted me to evidence 3 skills they were looking for (I think I had to write a 250-word answer for each).

My apprenticeship is a year and a half as it’s a Level 4. I personally wouldn’t recommend doing a degree apprenticeship unless you’re 100% certain on that career path as it’s quite a commitment and they can be 4/5 years long. Modules for me are done monthly; I learn the content in 2 weeks, have an online workshop in the middle of the month and then write a case study during the last 2 weeks. Then that just repeats. I recently took an exam which will provide me with an additional qualification alongside my general apprenticeship one. But I’ll be assessed again next year for my final grade by submitting a portfolio (which details how I’ve applied the course content to my day job), giving a presentation on various areas of the course and finally having an interview to fully test my understanding/knowledge. All of this will be graded pass/merit/distinction. I get allocated one day a week for my apprenticeship work (but I still get paid for it) so you fit it in amongst your day job. And at least for me, I haven’t needed to do much study outside of work hours which is definitely a change from school/university. My day job really compliments my apprenticeship, as I often work on things that I’m learning about in the course content.

I also agree that colleges need to offer talks on apprenticeships like they do with going to university as I think more people would consider them as a valid option. In my college, it was sort of only suggested to students with lower grades as colleges love to say “we sent x number of students to university!” I can’t say for certain that I’d not have gone to university had they suggested an apprenticeship to me, as my whole schooling life had been building up to that moment, but I very well might’ve considered it.

Whatever you decide, just make sure that you’re happy. I don’t regret going to university for 6 months, as it taught me to prioritise my mental health and to pursue something that you truly enjoy. It’s hard to figure out what that might be sometimes, but it starts with what you don’t enjoy and ruling that out!

A man I met at a concert when I was 16 once gave me some very short but sound advice, which I didn’t realise the importance of until I went to university. He simply said “go out and live life.” I’ve personally taken that to mean ‘you only live once, so make sure that whatever you choose to do doesn’t make you unhappy.’ I hope this reply has helped you in some way - I believe in you! :smile:
Reply 8
So, I was looking everyday pretty much for ones that I might like (as I knew I didn’t want to go into engineering and they’re the most common ones where I live). It was about 2 and a half months after I’d dropped out that I found the apprenticeship I’m doing now. I’d seen others in that time but they weren’t quite what I was looking for. Apprenticeships are added surprisingly frequently so I don’t think it would be too long before you found one.

I had my interview about a month after applying, and was then accepted a week after that. I also didn’t know what career I wanted to go into, but I looked at the skills required and thought it suited me, and looked up what types of things it covers online and on YouTube. My apprenticeship is in project management, which is also a pretty stable career so I knew it would be quite a good option for me after having dropped out of university. The apprenticeship I applied for also didn’t ask for a CV as the application wanted me to evidence 3 skills they were looking for (I think I had to write a 250-word answer for each).

My apprenticeship is a year and a half as it’s a Level 4. I personally wouldn’t recommend doing a degree apprenticeship unless you’re 100% certain on that career path as it’s quite a commitment and they can be 4/5 years long. Modules for me are done monthly; I learn the content in 2 weeks, have an online workshop in the middle of the month and then write a case study during the last 2 weeks. Then that just repeats. I recently took an exam which will provide me with an additional qualification alongside my general apprenticeship one. But I’ll be assessed again next year for my final grade by submitting a portfolio (which details how I’ve applied the course content to my day job), giving a presentation on various areas of the course and finally having an interview to fully test my understanding/knowledge. All of this will be graded pass/merit/distinction. I get allocated one day a week for my apprenticeship work (but I still get paid for it) so you fit it in amongst your day job. And at least for me, I haven’t needed to do much study outside of work hours which is definitely a change from school/university. My day job really compliments my apprenticeship, as I often work on things that I’m learning about in the course content.

I also agree that colleges need to offer talks on apprenticeships like they do with going to university as I think more people would consider them as a valid option. In my college, it was sort of only suggested to students with lower grades as colleges love to say “we sent x number of students to university!” I can’t say for certain that I’d not have gone to university had they suggested an apprenticeship to me, as my whole schooling life had been building up to that moment, but I very well might’ve considered it.

Whatever you decide, just make sure that you’re happy. I don’t regret going to university for 6 months, as it taught me to prioritise my mental health and to pursue something that you truly enjoy. It’s hard to figure out what that might be sometimes, but it starts with what you don’t enjoy and ruling that out!

A man I met at a concert when I was 16 once gave me some very short but sound advice, which I didn’t realise the importance of until I went to university. He simply said “go out and live life.” I’ve personally taken that to mean ‘you only live once, so make sure that whatever you choose to do doesn’t make you unhappy.’ I hope this reply has helped you in some way - I believe in you! :smile:

Ohhh okay! Thank you so much! You’re reply has helped a lot, understanding what an apprenticeship is like from someone random helps and gives me a different understanding/view.
Just a quick question regarding your apprenticeship but what happens if you fail a module/exam? Do you get kicked out? Like what happens?
Ohhh okay! Thank you so much! You’re reply has helped a lot, understanding what an apprenticeship is like from someone random helps and gives me a different understanding/view.
Just a quick question regarding your apprenticeship but what happens if you fail a module/exam? Do you get kicked out? Like what happens?

No worries - glad it was useful! So, for the exam I took recently, I’ve been told it’s okay if I do fail and they’d just book me in for another one as I’ve been submitting all my work on time and they know I’m taking the apprenticeship seriously. Obviously, questions would be asked if you repeatedly fail it and I think you need to have passed it before you can do your presentation/interview. I don’t think you can fail individual modules as they’re tested collectively in the exam and the final assessment at the end of the apprenticeship. And I believe you’re also not graded for individual modules. I’m not sure what would happen if you fail the presentation/interview; if you can redo them, or if that’s just the end result. The portfolio you make isn’t assessed, but it’s more of a factor that shows your dedication to the apprenticeship, and is meant to aid in your learning. So I dare say it might affect the assessor’s opinion of me when I go to interview or do my presentation for example.
Reply 10
No worries - glad it was useful! So, for the exam I took recently, I’ve been told it’s okay if I do fail and they’d just book me in for another one as I’ve been submitting all my work on time and they know I’m taking the apprenticeship seriously. Obviously, questions would be asked if you repeatedly fail it and I think you need to have passed it before you can do your presentation/interview. I don’t think you can fail individual modules as they’re tested collectively in the exam and the final assessment at the end of the apprenticeship. And I believe you’re also not graded for individual modules. I’m not sure what would happen if you fail the presentation/interview; if you can redo them, or if that’s just the end result. The portfolio you make isn’t assessed, but it’s more of a factor that shows your dedication to the apprenticeship, and is meant to aid in your learning. So I dare say it might affect the assessor’s opinion of me when I go to interview or do my presentation for example.

Okay, thank you so much for answering. You have been so much help.
How did you find the apprenticeship? And is there a big difference between degree apprenticeship and a normal one? The only reason I’m looking at the degree ones are to get a degree at the end since in this day and age it’s good to say you have a degree but they’re quite hard to look for in certain sectors.
Okay, thank you so much for answering. You have been so much help.
How did you find the apprenticeship? And is there a big difference between degree apprenticeship and a normal one? The only reason I’m looking at the degree ones are to get a degree at the end since in this day and age it’s good to say you have a degree but they’re quite hard to look for in certain sectors.

I’m really enjoying it so far! I find project management quite interesting (I had no prior knowledge of it before starting my apprenticeship), and working on tasks in my day job that compliment my learning really helps pull it all together. The pay is really good for an apprentice too and I love feeling independent!

So, for where I work, the pay is better for a L4 (foundation degree) apprentice than a L6 (degree) apprentice as obviously your employer is not funding a full degree for you so can pay you more. You’ll likely be on the same salary for the whole apprenticeship, so living arrangements is something you’ll need to consider. If you choose a degree apprenticeship, you’ll likely be in it for 4-5 years compared to a L4 which is 1-2 years. Most degree apprentices in my workplace are young and still living at home, as it’s far cheaper than moving out. Will that be possible for you? I believe there is the possibility for me to progress onto the project management degree apprenticeship should I so choose, so that also shouldn’t be a reason against choosing a L4. I think you ought to be 100% certain that specific degree is what you want to study, because it’s a big commitment. That’s why I personally opted for the L4, because I didn’t really know what project management entailed but as it’s only a year a half, it’s a lot easier to motivate yourself to finish than a 4/5 year degree. Fortunately though, I’ve really enjoyed the content.

Degrees may be very reputable, but I’d argue the work skills you develop on the apprenticeship are more beneficial than the L4/L6 qualification itself. I’m gaining experience in the project management sector that I can then demonstrate to future employers in interviews/applications. The apprenticeship is just a nice ‘education experience’ you can throw onto your CV in my eyes. Employers will likely be more interested in the work experience you gained during that time, considering only 1 day a week is actually spent on your apprenticeship. So, I wouldn’t necessarily say you’d be at an advantage if you choose a degree apprenticeship over a L4 as you’ll be able to apply for better roles sooner which will help you progress in your chosen field.

If you do opt for a degree apprenticeship, just make sure the subject definitely appeals to you and is what you can see yourself studying for 4/5 years. They tend to be longer than regular university degrees because you’re working at the same time. 1 day a week for apprenticeship work, 4 days a week for your day job, regardless of the apprenticeship level. Just a thought.
Reply 12
I’m really enjoying it so far! I find project management quite interesting (I had no prior knowledge of it before starting my apprenticeship), and working on tasks in my day job that compliment my learning really helps pull it all together. The pay is really good for an apprentice too and I love feeling independent!

So, for where I work, the pay is better for a L4 (foundation degree) apprentice than a L6 (degree) apprentice as obviously your employer is not funding a full degree for you so can pay you more. You’ll likely be on the same salary for the whole apprenticeship, so living arrangements is something you’ll need to consider. If you choose a degree apprenticeship, you’ll likely be in it for 4-5 years compared to a L4 which is 1-2 years. Most degree apprentices in my workplace are young and still living at home, as it’s far cheaper than moving out. Will that be possible for you? I believe there is the possibility for me to progress onto the project management degree apprenticeship should I so choose, so that also shouldn’t be a reason against choosing a L4. I think you ought to be 100% certain that specific degree is what you want to study, because it’s a big commitment. That’s why I personally opted for the L4, because I didn’t really know what project management entailed but as it’s only a year a half, it’s a lot easier to motivate yourself to finish than a 4/5 year degree. Fortunately though, I’ve really enjoyed the content.

Degrees may be very reputable, but I’d argue the work skills you develop on the apprenticeship are more beneficial than the L4/L6 qualification itself. I’m gaining experience in the project management sector that I can then demonstrate to future employers in interviews/applications. The apprenticeship is just a nice ‘education experience’ you can throw onto your CV in my eyes. Employers will likely be more interested in the work experience you gained during that time, considering only 1 day a week is actually spent on your apprenticeship. So, I wouldn’t necessarily say you’d be at an advantage if you choose a degree apprenticeship over a L4 as you’ll be able to apply for better roles sooner which will help you progress in your chosen field.

If you do opt for a degree apprenticeship, just make sure the subject definitely appeals to you and is what you can see yourself studying for 4/5 years. They tend to be longer than regular university degrees because you’re working at the same time. 1 day a week for apprenticeship work, 4 days a week for your day job, regardless of the apprenticeship level. Just a thought.

Okay thank you!
what do you mean 1 day apprenticeship work and 4 days day job? I will be staying at home, I did for my first year of uni too, it’s so much cheaper. Apprenticeships do seem interesting but part of me is saying to suck it up and retake the uni year. I fear I can’t get into an apprenticeship due to my grades. I’ve looked at some and they need a UCAS score but mine is below that. So I’m not fully sure yet. Or I’m scared I won’t be interested in them after a while.
But then I’m against retaking the uni year because I just can’t stand my uni and their rules so I don’t want to retake the year again. I’m still not sure on what to do. It’s so stupid too, we get results in September (I think latest was mid September) yet they’re still telling us to attend lectures not knowing if we passed or failed. I’m trying to think ahead before the results come out so I can plan just incase but there’s so many apprenticeships and this could be an opportunity for me to change my career path but I’m not sure on what I would like. Currently I’m in the health side since i do radiography but idk what I enjoy doing so idk what I could change to. I picked my course with barely any interest but I quite like it. (Well except for the exams)
Okay thank you!
what do you mean 1 day apprenticeship work and 4 days day job? I will be staying at home, I did for my first year of uni too, it’s so much cheaper. Apprenticeships do seem interesting but part of me is saying to suck it up and retake the uni year. I fear I can’t get into an apprenticeship due to my grades. I’ve looked at some and they need a UCAS score but mine is below that. So I’m not fully sure yet. Or I’m scared I won’t be interested in them after a while.
But then I’m against retaking the uni year because I just can’t stand my uni and their rules so I don’t want to retake the year again. I’m still not sure on what to do. It’s so stupid too, we get results in September (I think latest was mid September) yet they’re still telling us to attend lectures not knowing if we passed or failed. I’m trying to think ahead before the results come out so I can plan just incase but there’s so many apprenticeships and this could be an opportunity for me to change my career path but I’m not sure on what I would like. Currently I’m in the health side since i do radiography but idk what I enjoy doing so idk what I could change to. I picked my course with barely any interest but I quite like it. (Well except for the exams)

Most apprenticeships work where 20% / 1 day of your week is dedicated to the apprenticeship learning and the other 80% / 4 days is for your day job. The work in your day job should compliment your apprenticeship learning, as your employer will want you to develop skills that can be used long-term.

I can’t really remember the grade requirements for apprenticeships, so that’s something you’d probably know better than me. And unfortunately only you can decide if you want to continue with your current university course or go down a new path. I knew 100% I didn’t want to continue with maths and knew staying at university would completely destroy my mental health as I absolutely hated the environment. I fell into project management only through doing a bit of research online and thinking the skills required suited me as a person once I saw the job advert. I dropped out of uni without knowing what career I wanted to go into so I’d encourage you to weigh up your skills like I did.
Reply 14
Most apprenticeships work where 20% / 1 day of your week is dedicated to the apprenticeship learning and the other 80% / 4 days is for your day job. The work in your day job should compliment your apprenticeship learning, as your employer will want you to develop skills that can be used long-term.

I can’t really remember the grade requirements for apprenticeships, so that’s something you’d probably know better than me. And unfortunately only you can decide if you want to continue with your current university course or go down a new path. I knew 100% I didn’t want to continue with maths and knew staying at university would completely destroy my mental health as I absolutely hated the environment. I fell into project management only through doing a bit of research online and thinking the skills required suited me as a person once I saw the job advert. I dropped out of uni without knowing what career I wanted to go into so I’d encourage you to weigh up your skills like I did.

Do by day job, do you mean the apprenticeship company job? Or do you have to go find a job?

It’s still tough choosing. Every time I think about it I want to rip my heart out and I get so scared and worried. I have made a list of pros and cons yet I still don’t know. And lately I’ve been seeing people talking about their apprenticeships online and it also seems tough, they were saying how much work they had? I guess it depends on the career/apprenticeship but is yours heavy with study? How much free time do you get outside of the work days?
Do by day job, do you mean the apprenticeship company job? Or do you have to go find a job?

It’s still tough choosing. Every time I think about it I want to rip my heart out and I get so scared and worried. I have made a list of pros and cons yet I still don’t know. And lately I’ve been seeing people talking about their apprenticeships online and it also seems tough, they were saying how much work they had? I guess it depends on the career/apprenticeship but is yours heavy with study? How much free time do you get outside of the work days?

By day job I mean the main role you’re hired for / the bulk of your work week. Yes, you’re hired usually as an ‘apprentice’ so don’t have the same level of responsibility as someone hired solely for that role, but the study isn’t the main part of your apprenticeship. You’re hired essentially like a regular employee just with some time for study. So say you were working for an accounting firm for instance, you’d likely be working on accountancy things for the firm in your day job which is 80% of your week, but these things would/should compliment your apprenticeship study which is 20% of the week. You don’t apply for an apprenticeship and then a day job separately, it’s all offered as one package.

You are working a full-time job, so it will be a bit more structured than university and perhaps people aren’t used to that. But I personally haven’t needed to do any extra work for my apprenticeship outside of my allocated work hours (1 day a week). I don’t do any work in the evenings or at the weekend, whereas when I was at uni I was working constantly so for me I much prefer it. I would say I find it fairly easy to be productive and get things done during my allocated apprenticeship time, whereas if you procrastinate you’ll obviously need to use some of your own time to catch up, but that goes for university too. That’s not to say my apprenticeship doesn’t have much content as it does, but I’m quite good at getting that all done within my 1 day a week.
Reply 16
By day job I mean the main role you’re hired for / the bulk of your work week. Yes, you’re hired usually as an ‘apprentice’ so don’t have the same level of responsibility as someone hired solely for that role, but the study isn’t the main part of your apprenticeship. You’re hired essentially like a regular employee just with some time for study. So say you were working for an accounting firm for instance, you’d likely be working on accountancy things for the firm in your day job which is 80% of your week, but these things would/should compliment your apprenticeship study which is 20% of the week. You don’t apply for an apprenticeship and then a day job separately, it’s all offered as one package.

You are working a full-time job, so it will be a bit more structured than university and perhaps people aren’t used to that. But I personally haven’t needed to do any extra work for my apprenticeship outside of my allocated work hours (1 day a week). I don’t do any work in the evenings or at the weekend, whereas when I was at uni I was working constantly so for me I much prefer it. I would say I find it fairly easy to be productive and get things done during my allocated apprenticeship time, whereas if you procrastinate you’ll obviously need to use some of your own time to catch up, but that goes for university too. That’s not to say my apprenticeship doesn’t have much content as it does, but I’m quite good at getting that all done within my 1 day a week.

Ah okay, I understand now. I’ve heard apprenticeships don’t get like half terms or summer off? How hard is it? I guess motivation to keep working is that you’re getting paid so it’s fine, but at the beginning going from used to having summer holidays to none was it difficult?
Is everything you’re taught online? Or do you need to go in somewhere on your 1 study day? Do they give you the materials you need to work?

Sorry for all the questions I’m trying to understand apprenticeships better and how they work.
Ah okay, I understand now. I’ve heard apprenticeships don’t get like half terms or summer off? How hard is it? I guess motivation to keep working is that you’re getting paid so it’s fine, but at the beginning going from used to having summer holidays to none was it difficult?
Is everything you’re taught online? Or do you need to go in somewhere on your 1 study day? Do they give you the materials you need to work?

Sorry for all the questions I’m trying to understand apprenticeships better and how they work.

No need to apologise! Apprenticeships aren’t widely explained in colleges. I didn’t really know what it would be like until I started so I’m more than happy to share my experience with you :smile:

Yeah, apprenticeships work just like any regular job - no summer holidays or half terms, just bank holidays. Where I work, I get 25 days annual leave to take off a year, so I can spread that out wherever I want. Christmas-New Year is always time I book off, and then it’s whenever I plan a holiday for for instance. I personally didn’t find the transition too hard, and I work flexible hours so means I can start and finish when I want (as long as I work 37 hours a week), and don’t have set hours. I tend to finish at 3pm every Friday which makes the weekend feel like a mini holiday in itself. You’d be surprised what difference an extra 2 hours makes!

I do love being paid, and it is a big motivator for me personally, but I also quite enjoy my job. Of course, I do look forward to the weekends and knowing I don’t have to do any work means it’s a great way to recharge for the coming week as I’m free to go out and do things. I’m not tied down by schoolwork or revision like I was at uni.

My apprenticeship is run solely online, yes. I think it used to be done in person but because of covid they just shifted to online and I can’t say I’m mad about that. It’s so much easier to plan for during the week as I can just go onto the website with all the materials and start my learning for the day. All the materials are provided through a website, it’s all quite organised and I can view my upcoming modules too. And then I have live workshops which are held on Microsoft Teams once a month for a whole day. They send the invites for these in advance, and I’ve never had any issues with it. These workshops are useful for talking to other apprentices on the same apprenticeship, and hearing about what projects they work on as they’re all from different organisations.

Please don’t hesitate to ask me more questions!
Reply 18
No need to apologise! Apprenticeships aren’t widely explained in colleges. I didn’t really know what it would be like until I started so I’m more than happy to share my experience with you :smile:

Yeah, apprenticeships work just like any regular job - no summer holidays or half terms, just bank holidays. Where I work, I get 25 days annual leave to take off a year, so I can spread that out wherever I want. Christmas-New Year is always time I book off, and then it’s whenever I plan a holiday for for instance. I personally didn’t find the transition too hard, and I work flexible hours so means I can start and finish when I want (as long as I work 37 hours a week), and don’t have set hours. I tend to finish at 3pm every Friday which makes the weekend feel like a mini holiday in itself. You’d be surprised what difference an extra 2 hours makes!

I do love being paid, and it is a big motivator for me personally, but I also quite enjoy my job. Of course, I do look forward to the weekends and knowing I don’t have to do any work means it’s a great way to recharge for the coming week as I’m free to go out and do things. I’m not tied down by schoolwork or revision like I was at uni.

My apprenticeship is run solely online, yes. I think it used to be done in person but because of covid they just shifted to online and I can’t say I’m mad about that. It’s so much easier to plan for during the week as I can just go onto the website with all the materials and start my learning for the day. All the materials are provided through a website, it’s all quite organised and I can view my upcoming modules too. And then I have live workshops which are held on Microsoft Teams once a month for a whole day. They send the invites for these in advance, and I’ve never had any issues with it. These workshops are useful for talking to other apprentices on the same apprenticeship, and hearing about what projects they work on as they’re all from different organisations.

Please don’t hesitate to ask me more questions!

Sorry for the late reply.
How many other apprentices are with you? Some people say everyone else is older and there’s not many young people you can socialise with. You said you get meeting with the other apprentices in the same apprenticeship , do you not see them in person?
And your exams, how are they taken? Are they in person? This is probably different depending on the apprenticeship but I just would like to know. I love having everything online, it makes it all way easier and I can go at my own pace. Having to go into uni is a pain, especially since I travel quite far (around 2 hours). What’s worse is I start on Monday and because I had to resit, I can’t access the 2nd year modules. So I have to go to uni with no access to the PowerPoints, and no clue on what my results are. I think it’s so stupid on what they’re doing.
what was the application process like for you? I assume you would’ve applied to a few apprenticeships.
Sorry for the late reply.
How many other apprentices are with you? Some people say everyone else is older and there’s not many young people you can socialise with. You said you get meeting with the other apprentices in the same apprenticeship , do you not see them in person?
And your exams, how are they taken? Are they in person? This is probably different depending on the apprenticeship but I just would like to know. I love having everything online, it makes it all way easier and I can go at my own pace. Having to go into uni is a pain, especially since I travel quite far (around 2 hours). What’s worse is I start on Monday and because I had to resit, I can’t access the 2nd year modules. So I have to go to uni with no access to the PowerPoints, and no clue on what my results are. I think it’s so stupid on what they’re doing.
what was the application process like for you? I assume you would’ve applied to a few apprenticeships.

So in my workplace, there were three different apprenticeships all hiring at the same time but there’s about 15 of us in total. Most of us are 19/20 but there are a few in mid-late 20s and one in their 40s. I’ve had no trouble socialising, and we all get along well with the few older apprentices too. We’re all part of one team, as we started at the same time, and we have regular meetings both in person and on Teams so we all know each other quite well now.

Then in my online workshops, these are people from different organisations but all on the same apprenticeship as me. There’s about 15 of us and they try and keep the same people in each of your monthly workshops but sometimes the turnout is lower or there’s a couple new people. I’ve found these apprentices are much older and the average age is probably somewhere between 30 and 40. I’m definitely the youngest, the closest age is probably late 20s, but it’s really useful to hear from those with more experience than me. I’ve never seen these apprentices in person, only if they’ve got their cameras on over Teams which isn’t always the case. But as we only speak once a month, I wouldn’t say it’s critical that I get along well with them. Some don’t speak up much in the workshops though, which can get frustrating.

My exam I recently took was online so I sat it at home. I had to set up my phone to record me and my desk from afar which was probably the hardest part as I didn’t have an easy place to put my phone. I also had to download a software to share my screen and access my laptop’s camera but other than that it was pretty straightforward. I don’t know yet how my final assessment next year will be done as that’s a presentation and an interview - over Teams or in person.

For my day job, I choose to work from home as much as possible as it’s more convenient than travelling an hour into the office every morning so I get you there. I’m also introverted so I find being surrounded by people quite draining and the office is always loud which doesn’t help me focus. I hope you settle back into university okay, and sorry to hear about your situation. It all sounds quite stressful. Like you, I love being able to read through the content at my own pace; it helps a lot with my comprehension.

I actually only applied to three apprenticeships (all different employers); a teaching assistant, data analyst and then this project management one. The application forms for the first two were quite simple, mostly getting you to input what was on your CV and then answering a couple of short questions about why you’re interested and what your main skills are. I suppose this is similar to a cover letter. The project management one was a bit more in depth, as I’ve mentioned previously.

I got invited to interview for all three but didn’t attend the teaching assistant one as the pay was too low for me and it was quite far away. That interview would’ve been in person though. The data analyst interview was held over the phone and I found this much harder to gauge if they liked me compared to this one which was done over Teams with cameras on. I didn’t get offered the data analyst one but I realised midway through the interview that I really wasn’t passionate about the role so I wasn’t disheartened at all. My phone signal was also terrible and they frequently had to ask me to repeat my answers so I’ve no idea if they understood me either. I did quite a bit of preparation for both interviews, as I wanted to go in with strong examples for the various skills they might ask about. I’d recommend looking up online possible interview questions or the structure of them for each employer as I managed to find this information for each and this helped me practice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending