The Student Room Group

History

Hi everyone! I'm starting A level history in September and I'm in lockdown with plenty of time on my hands so I was wandering if anyone could recommend any good history books that I could read in preparation for A level. I'm studying pre-WW2 Germany (ie. establishment of the Third Reich and Hitler's rise to power) at AS and the Partitioning of Ireland at A2 with CCEA. I'm also doing Religion and Politics so any further reading on them that you could recommend would be greatly appreciated as well!
Reply 1
I've not done either of those topics but I am doing History A level. For pre-WW2 Germany, I'd recommend Richard J Evan's book - I think it's called the Coming of the Third Reich - and more generally The Deluge by Adam Tooze is good too - it's not specifically on Germany but it's a global history between 1916 and 1931 so it covers it a bit! I don't know anything for the Ireland part of the course. Sorry!
Reply 2
Original post by LuciaH17
I've not done either of those topics but I am doing History A level. For pre-WW2 Germany, I'd recommend Richard J Evan's book - I think it's called the Coming of the Third Reich - and more generally The Deluge by Adam Tooze is good too - it's not specifically on Germany but it's a global history between 1916 and 1931 so it covers it a bit! I don't know anything for the Ireland part of the course. Sorry!

Thanks so much!
I'm doing Ireland atm, the book we use is by Dr Rees, so I suppose if you are super keen you could read it in advance but I don't think it is really necessary there is also a book by Lyons 'Ireland since the famine' which my history teacher often makes reference to but again, it is a super dense book.
Reply 4
Original post by laurennn.
I'm doing Ireland atm, the book we use is by Dr Rees, so I suppose if you are super keen you could read it in advance but I don't think it is really necessary there is also a book by Lyons 'Ireland since the famine' which my history teacher often makes reference to but again, it is a super dense book.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest