The Student Room Group

choosing between BSMS A100, St Andrews A100 and Cardiff A100

Hello - I'm really lucky to have been offered a place on all three of these courses but I'm having trouble trying to decide which one to firm.

I haven't been able to get to see any of these places other than online.

I was born and have grown up in London so living in a big city is something I've known all my life and I'd be happy to try something else. I'm not someone that likes clubbing and a busy nightlife and I do enjoy things like being outside in the countryside and wild swimming.

Of course, there are plusses and minuses for each of the courses and Universities.

There's a brilliant thread about life at St Andrews but nothing similar that I can find for BSMS and Cardiff. Can anyone point me to any good threads? Or help me understand the differences in these areas:

1) Workload - from what I can gather BSMS is a very heavy workload with fewer holidays but it seems that studying medicine at St Andrews is more like being a normal undergrad. Does anyone know if this is right?

2) BSMS feels like medics are really very separate from other students. Is this right and does it matter?

3) I loved the rhetoric around the course at BSMS and the seemingly supportive attitude towards students - is that the experience?

4) I know Brighton quite well and really like it as a place to live for 5 years and am wondering about the shift to Manchester after 3 years if I go to St Andrews - Manchester is not somewhere I would have chosen - but maybe I just don't know it well enough...

Would to love hear anyone's thoughts about these issues. Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by purkyne

I was born and have grown up in London so living in a big city is something I've known all my life and I'd be happy to try something else. I'm not someone that likes clubbing and a busy nightlife and I do enjoy things like being outside in the countryside and wild swimming.

4) I know Brighton quite well and really like it as a place to live for 5 years and am wondering about the shift to Manchester after 3 years if I go to St Andrews - Manchester is not somewhere I would have chosen - but maybe I just don't know it well enough...

Would to love hear anyone's thoughts about these issues. Thanks!

First of all- Well done!
Im pretty sure you can also go to London (barts) after your 3 years at St Andrews- you might have to check if that is available to everyone though
If you dont like clubbing, but like wild swimming and the countryside i think st andrews would be perfect for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending