The Student Room Group

How do i stop ovethinking/worrying? [long-ish]

Hello,
I'm very young and I can't seem to stop worrying about things. I think of something for a week or two, think I'm being over-dramatic or I'm overreacting, then I start thinking of something else and it's all similar things (the things i worry about). The things i worry/overthink about are all things I have done in the past, things that I'm not sure of, and things that could have happened. I can't help but feel guilty about everything I've done and I'm scared I've ruined my life and my family's life because of what I did, even though nothing major has happened in the past few months. I'm scared something is going to happen and everything is going to go downhill. I'm stuck in this endless cycle and it's starting to affect my education. I'm scared that not only have I ruined my whole family's life but now that this whole thing is fogging up my brain my grades are going to go down and I won't have go to uni or something. I'm really tired of this cycle and I don't know what to do.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,
I'm very young and I can't seem to stop worrying about things. I think of something for a week or two, think I'm being over-dramatic or I'm overreacting, then I start thinking of something else and it's all similar things (the things i worry about). The things i worry/overthink about are all things I have done in the past, things that I'm not sure of, and things that could have happened. I can't help but feel guilty about everything I've done and I'm scared I've ruined my life and my family's life because of what I did, even though nothing major has happened in the past few months. I'm scared something is going to happen and everything is going to go downhill. I'm stuck in this endless cycle and it's starting to affect my education. I'm scared that not only have I ruined my whole family's life but now that this whole thing is fogging up my brain my grades are going to go down and I won't have go to uni or something. I'm really tired of this cycle and I don't know what to do.

Hello:smile:,
Have you tried talking to someone? Like a therapist? It sounds like you could have some anxiety. Thinking about the past and thinking of the things you could have changed is normal, but you shouldn't obsess over it.
Hello,

im very young as well and i find doing what i do best help. It could be something little like a small workout to clear your mind. Even if its for 5 mins it helps a lot
Reply 3
Original post by StopRightThere
Hello:smile:,
Have you tried talking to someone? Like a therapist? It sounds like you could have some anxiety. Thinking about the past and thinking of the things you could have changed is normal, but you shouldn't obsess over it.

I've tried talking to my mom about it, she says I'm being over dramatic and to stop worrying. She doesn't understand that I literally can't
Reply 4
Original post by hafsa123456789
im very young as well and i find doing what i do best help. It could be something little like a small workout to clear your mind. Even if its for 5 mins it helps a lot

Thank you for the suggestion, I do work out sometimes but it doesn't help me that much. My mind is cleared for like 2 minutes and after that it all comes back again
Hello,

I have severe OCD and the best thing I can do to stop me getting overwhelmed by my intrusive thoughts is literally making sure I'm busy, distracted so I have no time and energy for them to get a hold on me. Things like loud music, colouring, puzzles
not to worry you anymore than you already are as I understand how distressed you must feel, talking to someone is really beneficial and I promise this will help you. If I hadn't have told my dad how much things were getting to me, I would never have had a diagnosis and things would have escalated even more. And I was only diagnosed in september so the process is still very new
If you ever need to talk, my pm will be open tomorrow ( my access to it should be there tommorow, I'm a new member here) and I will alwAys be happy to talk😊
Hello,

hi there I can relate because I have anxiety and depression and I have had it for 5-6 years it got to the point where I tried to kill myself i don't know what to do all I can say is try to find things to distract yourself with
Hello,

I can 100% relate to this. I have OCD and anxiety and every single small thing that happens to me feels massive and like it’s choking me up inside to the point of suicidal thoughts. Things that I didn’t mean to happen like idk reading a sex scene accidentally in fan fiction, or coming across a slightly inappropriate/revealing photo on Pinterest when in fact these things just happen because I forgot to read the caption on the bottom or maybe I should just be more aware when looking at some fan art. But after months and years of regretting every single mistake I’ve ever made and coming back to mistakes I made 2 years ago and then suddenly feeling incredibly guilty. I have realised that making ‘mistakes’ and things are just part of growing up. I don’t know what mistakes you regret or whether they are completely different or similar to mine but its nice to know I’m not the only one with this problem.

I found talking to my parents (somehow) dragged me out of an endless cycle of worry and regret - they worry excessively as well - but it must be very hard for you right now. And I get it. But if there was one bit of advice I would like my mind to understand is that regretting things in the past isn’t going to help you in the future. So long as you learn from your mistake and move on, then no one will judge you for it. I’ve come across some inappropriate things on the internet after only just stopping worrying about it, but now I know to just click off it and get that these things happen.

Maybe you can talk to a therapist or someone at school? This is a lot more common than you probably think and by talking to someone can lift a massive weight off your chest. If not you have some online therapists where you remain anonymous?

You will get through it :smile:
Reply 8
I can 100% relate to this. I have OCD and anxiety and every single small thing that happens to me feels massive and like it’s choking me up inside to the point of suicidal thoughts. Things that I didn’t mean to happen like idk reading a sex scene accidentally in fan fiction, or coming across a slightly inappropriate/revealing photo on Pinterest when in fact these things just happen because I forgot to read the caption on the bottom or maybe I should just be more aware when looking at some fan art. But after months and years of regretting every single mistake I’ve ever made and coming back to mistakes I made 2 years ago and then suddenly feeling incredibly guilty. I have realised that making ‘mistakes’ and things are just part of growing up. I don’t know what mistakes you regret or whether they are completely different or similar to mine but its nice to know I’m not the only one with this problem.

I found talking to my parents (somehow) dragged me out of an endless cycle of worry and regret - they worry excessively as well - but it must be very hard for you right now. And I get it. But if there was one bit of advice I would like my mind to understand is that regretting things in the past isn’t going to help you in the future. So long as you learn from your mistake and move on, then no one will judge you for it. I’ve come across some inappropriate things on the internet after only just stopping worrying about it, but now I know to just click off it and get that these things happen.

Maybe you can talk to a therapist or someone at school? This is a lot more common than you probably think and by talking to someone can lift a massive weight off your chest. If not you have some online therapists where you remain anonymous?

You will get through it :smile:

Thank you for the response, I really do appreciate it.
I've talked to one of my parents, opened up to a friend, and even posted about it on TSR and I've gotten similar responses from each person - I'm most likely overreacting and shouldn't worry about it. The things I worry about could possibly be the reasons why I may have ruined my/my family's life, and I can't help but feel really guilty about it and I can't seem to move on, even though nothing major has happened since (since the **thing** that's worrying me has happened). When I opened up to my parent about it, it lifted the weight off of my chest for a day or two, then everything came back and I started worrying again. I kind of want to go to therapy but I can't go on my own because I'm a minor. And I wouldn't really want to do online therapy cause what if it's some bald middle aged dude named Brock pretending to be a therapist??? I really don't know what to do anymore
Thank you for the response, I really do appreciate it.
I've talked to one of my parents, opened up to a friend, and even posted about it on TSR and I've gotten similar responses from each person - I'm most likely overreacting and shouldn't worry about it. The things I worry about could possibly be the reasons why I may have ruined my/my family's life, and I can't help but feel really guilty about it and I can't seem to move on, even though nothing major has happened since (since the **thing** that's worrying me has happened). When I opened up to my parent about it, it lifted the weight off of my chest for a day or two, then everything came back and I started worrying again. I kind of want to go to therapy but I can't go on my own because I'm a minor. And I wouldn't really want to do online therapy cause what if it's some bald middle aged dude named Brock pretending to be a therapist??? I really don't know what to do anymore

Yeah it can be hard when your brain is pretty relentless when random events or objects remind you of the *thing*. Our school recommended this website called Kooth where you have can have an anonymous live chat with one of their workers and then there are forums like this. I sometimes (when I didn’t want to talk to my parents) just straight up opened a discussion and confessed everything I was worrying about. No one will judge you (or just report the person) and you’re anonymous. That helped a lot. Or maybe write down what your parent or friends response to your problem was and then read it when you start worrying again? I’m happy to help/chat :smile:
Hello,

Hi there,

First of all good on you for reaching out! 👍🏻

Have a look at OCD specifically (Pure O).

OCD causes constant obsessions and feelings of guilt. Whether you have or haven’t done something, guilt is an unnecessary emotion that causes mental loops and feelings of worthlessness, preventing individuals to move on and better there lives.

Check out sites like Made of Millions & OCD UK.

I can’t recommend this woman enough on YouTube - Chrissy Hodges. Have a look!

I hope this helps 🌿
Hi there,

First of all good on you for reaching out! 👍🏻

Have a look at OCD specifically (Pure O).

OCD causes constant obsessions and feelings of guilt. Whether you have or haven’t done something, guilt is an unnecessary emotion that causes mental loops and feelings of worthlessness, preventing individuals to move on and better there lives.

Check out sites like Made of Millions & OCD UK.

I can’t recommend this woman enough on YouTube - Chrissy Hodges. Have a look!

I hope this helps 🌿

Thank you, I'll deffo take a look at the things you recommended!!
Hey. I’ve definitely been there! It is a vicious cycle that felt like it wouldn’t end. What honestly helped me was talking to siblings/trusted friends/family members (any of these) about things that were going on in my mind. It’s quite insane how when you say those things out loud, you hear yourself and realise that wow, actually they aren’t as big of a deal as I had initially anticipated in my head. If your mum didn’t listen, that’s okay, I’m sure you have many other people who will listen to you.

I just want you to know that you aren’t a bad person, you are not your past. You are not your mistakes. I think you need to heal from your past. Forgive yourself what happened and moving on will happen naturally.

The chatter in your brain is a very normal thing. It affects me sometimes too. So just know that you aren’t alone in that! But if it is affecting your education, that is when you need to take serious precautions.

Try to speak to others about what’s in your mind, try meditation each morning/a self-development course & most importantly, healing! Heal from your past. Good luck and I’m sending you love & healing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest