The Student Room Group

A Levels and Btecs

Hey, so I'm kind of stuck on what to do. I'm currently doing Economics, Maths and French A Levels, but I'm not enjoying them as much as I thought I would. I was just wondering if it would be worth doing a BTEC after completing my A Levels. I've never done much in performing arts however I would like to do a drama BTEC at a college. My parents seem pretty much set on me going to uni and getting a degree on something to do with maths or economics, but I'm not really interested in this. I think the main reason I haven't done much in the performing arts before is due to a lack of confidence, but as I've grown older, my confidence has grown and I feel like I will be able to do drama. However I didn't do it as a GCSE subject. So I guess my question would be, would it be worth doing a BTEC in drama after completing my A Levels and if yes, should I do Level 2 or Level 3 BTEC?
I would appreciate any advice and info
Hey, I am currently doing BTEC performing arts ( Acting) Level 3 and I also did not do drama GCSE! Colleges may look at your English Grade if you haven't done a GCSE in drama (I got a 7 in English literature and language).

Definitely check with your college first about this seeing as it is late in the year, also my college offers BTEC courses to be done in just a year, yours may be similar too. This would save you having to do another year and I don't think many colleges would allow you to just take one BTEC.

I have found it useful in confidence for university interviews and being able to show that you are a well rounded student etc which is the reason I gave to my parents as they too were very against it. It is a great BTEC with hardly any homework, a lot of work is done in class and is not particularly strenuous, I would recommend doing the Level 3! (but note this is very biased aha)

I am also doing 3 A levels alongside this (Maths, Physics and Geography) and I would suggest keep on doing your current A levels as they are very facilitating, just in case you do decide to go down the university route later on. Hope this helps, all the best :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gollygoshbosh
Hey, I am currently doing BTEC performing arts ( Acting) Level 3 and I also did not do drama GCSE! Colleges may look at your English Grade if you haven't done a GCSE in drama (I got a 7 in English literature and language).

Definitely check with your college first about this seeing as it is late in the year, also my college offers BTEC courses to be done in just a year, yours may be similar too. This would save you having to do another year and I don't think many colleges would allow you to just take one BTEC.

I have found it useful in confidence for university interviews and being able to show that you are a well rounded student etc which is the reason I gave to my parents as they too were very against it. It is a great BTEC with hardly any homework, a lot of work is done in class and is not particularly strenuous, I would recommend doing the Level 3! (but note this is very biased aha)

I am also doing 3 A levels alongside this (Maths, Physics and Geography) and I would suggest keep on doing your current A levels as they are very facilitating, just in case you do decide to go down the university route later on. Hope this helps, all the best :smile:

Thanks! Also what kind of work do you do in your BTEC performing arts (Acting)? Like what kind of things do they teach you and what do you learn about?
I much prefer BTECS to A-Levels

Please don't do something just because others think it is better for you, it's your life, not theirs.
Original post by SimSim0303
Thanks! Also what kind of work do you do in your BTEC performing arts (Acting)? Like what kind of things do they teach you and what do you learn about?

I get taught how to analyse certain actors, plays etc and then take that into my own performance. We will first read through a play script/ watch a performance and then have around a month to prepare a devised piece of a certain scene where we have to apply it to a certain style of acting (e.g Epic theatre). For instance we looked at fairy tales such as Cinderella and the task was to apply it to the style of method acting where the acting had to be very emotional. Its similar to English GCSE, but it's applied and a lot of fun !

Quick Reply

Latest