The Student Room Group

stuck choosing between 2 6th forms.

Hi. so I'm in year 11 starting 6th form this September. I have an offer for a really good 6th form. i have done my research about them and i do really think that academically they can push me to be the best version of myself and have really good grades. They are known for having a good science teachers and was recommended to apply there cuz I'm doing Bio and Chem.
However, i do have another 6th form which is my school's 6th form. People usually say that you should stay in your school's 6th form since the teachers know you, but the 6th form teachers wont know me at all. To be honest, the only thing holding me back is the fear of being alone in the other 6th form since most of my friends will be staying. I know it's wrong to think this way but i am doing Bio Chem Sociology (and economics if i go to the really good 6th form) and the last thing i want is being alone which could impact my mental health. PLEASE HELP.
Original post by cloudymood
Hi. so I'm in year 11 starting 6th form this September. I have an offer for a really good 6th form. i have done my research about them and i do really think that academically they can push me to be the best version of myself and have really good grades. They are known for having a good science teachers and was recommended to apply there cuz I'm doing Bio and Chem.
However, i do have another 6th form which is my school's 6th form. People usually say that you should stay in your school's 6th form since the teachers know you, but the 6th form teachers wont know me at all. To be honest, the only thing holding me back is the fear of being alone in the other 6th form since most of my friends will be staying. I know it's wrong to think this way but i am doing Bio Chem Sociology (and economics if i go to the really good 6th form) and the last thing i want is being alone which could impact my mental health. PLEASE HELP.

How far away is the new school?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
How far away is the new school?

The new school is very near like 10-15 minutes away. My school's 6th form is also near (10 minutes by bus) so distance isn't an issue.
Reply 3
Go to the new one, you'll make friends more easily than you think dw, plus new is good escp if the other sixth form can push you to excel
The new school is very near like 10-15 minutes away. My school's 6th form is also near (10 minutes by bus) so distance isn't an issue.

You don't have to decide now - do you have an offer for both?

There should be an induction day later when you can see what the new school is like.

Strange question, but what's the name of your current school and the better school? (I just want to research and see exam results etc. so I can help provide advice) :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
You don't have to decide now - do you have an offer for both?

There should be an induction day later when you can see what the new school is like.

i have an offer for the new school but no one in my year group heard back from my school's 6th form yet thought I'm not stressed about it. Do you know when induction day usually is? in the summer holiday before results day?

Try attend an open day for both - when I chose I was already sure where I wanted to go but for my younger brother he was also really unsure. If you could try to get a feel for both places it'll really help you in deciding. Also, check what exam boards both 6th forms use on the courses they offer and make comparisons on the specific modules to determine what is best for you. Don't worry about meeting new people - 2/3rds of my current friend group were all friends before and they accept me and a few others as one of them - remember 6th forms are slightly different from colleges in that they tend to be smaller in the number of people and the people that are there are more likely there to knuckle down and go about working diligently, so you'll be with like-minded people. I understand your concern with the friends you have now and the fear of drifting apart is daunting but it happens very naturally, you may not even notice but you may or may not choose to keep in touch. I'm very close now with the people I've met at college and this may even be the closest group of friends I've had. Hope this helps :smile:
i have an offer for the new school but no one in my year group heard back from my school's 6th form yet thought I'm not stressed about it. Do you know when induction day usually is? in the summer holiday before results day?

It should say on the website.

This is a comparison tool from the DfE: https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/compare-schools?for=16to18
new school- LAE tottenham current- Aylward Academy

I must say, from what I can see, LAE definitely looks like a great option. I also see what you mean about your current school. If you see yourself as very self-motivated and are unlikely to need full support from teachers then your current school probably won't limit you too much, especially if you make sure you have a well-structured plan for your learning and revision. However, if this isn't the case, I'd definitely go to LAE if I were you. There you can pretty much bank on good grades, great tuition, and strong support from teachers. Also, by dropping yourself in a school full of people you don't know, you can strengthen your confidence by speaking to new people. You're bound to make new friends too, the same way you did when you started at your current school. It will be great preparation for university too! You will step out of your comfort zone but in my opinion, it's totally worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending