The Student Room Group

Personal statement vs cover letter PLEASE whats the DIFFERENCE?

Hi Guys
I've currently applied to study Access to Medicine In Brighton and Sussex Lewes College and they've asked us to write a cover letter and a personal statement apparently our personal statement is the " basis of your UCAS application" I've drafted my cover letter on what has driven me to study medicine and what I can offer to the College but now I am stuck with the personal statement I feel like they're the same are they not ? if not PLEASE someone help me by telling me what a personal statement really is so I can write one and edit it if needed before I send it off . ( it just have to be A4 length long)

Thank you SO much in advance .
Reply 1
guys what does " word processed personal statement" means
Reply 2
Maybe writing your personal statement on words
just means it was typed up on a computer using a word processor e.g. microsoft word
Reply 4
Original post by hamster195
just means it was typed up on a computer using a word processor e.g. Microsoft word

oooh i see oh my god thank you so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 5
Original post by yazomi
maybe writing your personal statement on words

thank you !!!!
What do they require in terms of a statement for applying for the access course? They may be differentiating between that and the UCAS application process (given that the deadline will be 15th Oct the year before you go, so potentially only 1 1/2 months after you start the course if it is the usual one year), and wanting to make sure you have made a start
Reply 7
Original post by Interrobang
What do they require in terms of a statement for applying for the access course? They may be differentiating between that and the UCAS application process (given that the deadline will be 15th Oct the year before you go, so potentially only 1 1/2 months after you start the course if it is the usual one year), and wanting to make sure you have made a start

sorry what do you mean ? :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by 90'S

I'm applying to start access to medicine and I have to write a cover letter and a personal statement it says the below im so confused because based on my understand a cover letter a person statement are they not the same thing ? SIGH i am so stressed and its due tomorrow

"The ‘personal statement’ is your opportunity to tell us why you wish to study Medicine and why you have

chosen Access to Medicine as your route to Medical School."

Please word-process your personal statement using:

Font type: ‘Arial’ or ‘Times New Roman’ and Font size: 12.

The personal statement should be no longer than one side of A4.

Please attach your completed word-processed personal to your hand-written application form.
Original post by 90'S

Follow what advice they have given you then. It may be that they refer to it as both a PS and also a cover letter. Be prepared that you will need to sort your UCAS application soon after starting though, which requires it's own personal statement
Reply 10
Follow what advice they have given you then. It may be that they refer to it as both a PS and also a cover letter. Be prepared that you will need to sort your UCAS application soon after starting though, which requires it's own personal statement

they said the personal statement is the basis of our UCAS application what do they mean by that please help me :frown:
Original post by 90'S
they said the personal statement is the basis of our UCAS application what do they mean by that please help me :frown:

To apply for medical degrees that you would need to do after the access course, you need to apply through UCAS with a personal statement
Reply 12
To apply for medical degrees that you would need to do after the access course, you need to apply through UCAS with a personal statso

so personal statement and cover letter is the same thing right ?
Original post by 90'S
so personal statement and cover letter is the same thing right ?

For applying for the access course, probably yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending