The Student Room Group

Do you have to submit a graduate scheme personal statement if its optional?

Would it increase my chances of getting an interview if I included a personal statement, if its not mandatory to do so?
Original post by IDontKnowReally
Would it increase my chances of getting an interview if I included a personal statement, if its not mandatory to do so?

If there's an optional "give more info" box, that's usually a sign to give more info to show that you're interested and showcase your skills more!

Do you mean a covering letter? What's the context?
Original post by threeportdrift
Do you mean a covering letter? What's the context?

Yes, like a cover letter. I've been applying for graduate schemes, and a lot of them have a mandatory CV submission box, and often a personal statement/cover letter box thats optional, without any other questions. I've been seeing conflicting info on linkedin from recruiters about whether the cover letter helps the application or if its mostly ignored so was looking for some more insight
Reply 4
As long as someone has reviewed your cover letters and you therefore know how to write one well, there is never any harm in providing one if given the opportunity to do so.
(edited 11 months ago)
Yes, like a cover letter. I've been applying for graduate schemes, and a lot of them have a mandatory CV submission box, and often a personal statement/cover letter box thats optional, without any other questions. I've been seeing conflicting info on linkedin from recruiters about whether the cover letter helps the application or if its mostly ignored so was looking for some more insight

Then 100% you should always send a covering letter, it's only half an application if you don't. A CV provides just the factual evidence of your skills, the covering letter provides the persuasive force of your application. The two should be considered inseperable.

The covering letter, or whatever equivalent simply describes why you want to do this sort of work, why you want to work for this organisation, and highlights the three best pieces of evidence that you would be good at the job.
Original post by 0le
As long as someone has reviewed your cover letters and you therefore know how to write one well, there is never any harm in providing one if given the opportunity to do so.

Original post by threeportdrift
Then 100% you should always send a covering letter, it's only half an application if you don't. A CV provides just the factual evidence of your skills, the covering letter provides the persuasive force of your application. The two should be considered inseperable.

The covering letter, or whatever equivalent simply describes why you want to do this sort of work, why you want to work for this organisation, and highlights the three best pieces of evidence that you would be good at the job.

Makes sense, thanks! Any ideas where I can get my cover letter reviewed? Ill try my university careers service of course, but appointments are a bit tough to get at the moment
Makes sense, thanks! Any ideas where I can get my cover letter reviewed? Ill try my university careers service of course, but appointments are a bit tough to get at the moment

You Uni Careers service is the only place. However, its straightforward.

Para 1 - 3 sentences on why you want to do this sort of work - almost always to do with combining qualifications and experience
Para 2 - 3 sentences on why this organisation -don't just say because they are fantastic, look at their offer and pick something about training potential, office locations, any particular feature they have.
Para 3 - about 9 sentences that draw on the3 most prominent skills in their job add, that you can evidence - pull together the points on your CV that might be in different areas, eg you may have leadership in a Uni project and a sport, and add a little extra if possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending