The Student Room Group

architecture

I've just made the last minute decision to apply for architecture at uni. I have already started making a portfolio for another art subject so I'm kinda prepared. But I am worried about the personal statement. I have some experience relating to fine art, and some related to creative advertising but i'm not sure if I could use that in my personal statement. Would love to apply to some prestigious unis for architecture as I know my art skills are good for the portfolio but I'm stressed about the ps. please help!
First of all, I'd try to figure out what each uni is looking for. Some are much more maths/technical in their approach to architecture, whereas others will prioritise creativity (example, Bath vs UCL). But more than anything, univerities want to see passion. With your personal statement,you're trying to tell them a story - what lead you to chose the course, what you have done to make yourself the best possible for the course, what do you have to bring to the course?
Examples of different angles you can take are, for example, talking about your desire to leave a lasting impact, or how rewarding it is to see your projects brought to life. You can talk about how architecture can be used to help people as well as the environment (which interests you more, why?). If there's any work experience you have that you could try to sneak in, go for it. At the end of the day, only you know why you chose the course. There must be a reason, especially if it was a last minute decision like you said it was! Go with that.
Ngl, am unfamiliar with creative advertising, but you can definitely talk about fine art. What skills have you picked up? (ex: learning how to be very technical, precise vs thinking outside of the box, coming up with new ideas, constantly challenging yourself). Have you done group work? How did that go / what did that bring you?
Also try and cover what you plan on getting out of the course. What will studying architecture bring you? How will it prepare you for your future?
I would be most worried about portfolio, because it has such an important weighting but if you're confident in your art skills that's really good!
Original post by Anonymous
I've just made the last minute decision to apply for architecture at uni. I have already started making a portfolio for another art subject so I'm kinda prepared. But I am worried about the personal statement. I have some experience relating to fine art, and some related to creative advertising but i'm not sure if I could use that in my personal statement. Would love to apply to some prestigious unis for architecture as I know my art skills are good for the portfolio but I'm stressed about the ps. please help!

You won't be expected to have work experience for an architecture degree. Have a look at the following page for advice on writing a PS for a creative course:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/hive-articles/writing-a-personal-statement-for-art-and-design-courses

There are some example of architecture personal statements here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/architecture/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending