The Student Room Group

Personal statement advice

I’m not from the Uk so I’ve never done a personal statement. I’d appreciate any advice. I’m hoping to do adult nursing and would appreciate any do’s dont’s , can it be too formal, what is the expectation etc
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Holl111
I’m not from the Uk so I’ve never done a personal statement. I’d appreciate any advice. I’m hoping to do adult nursing and would appreciate any do’s dont’s , can it be too formal, what is the expectation etc

In this forum you will find the Personal Statement Guidance Hub 2024 Entry thread, which contains lots of very useful information and links. You can also find loads of example Nursing personal statements here on TSR.
Original post by Holl111

What you are you looking to start university? I have heard that universities may be scrapping personal sts tennis and changing them to questions which is something you may want to look out for. I’m pretty sure they said it was going to be for 2025 entry the earliest.
Reply 3
Original post by Holl111

When you're working on your personal statement for adult nursing, think of it as your chance to really tell your story. Share why nursing lights you up and how your life experiences led you to this path. Show off your skills and what makes you perfect for nursing. Keep it personal and clear, and let your passion for nursing shine through without sounding too formal. Just be you!
Original post by Holl111

Hey Holl111

I'm Will, a Media Production student at Bournemouth University currently on my placement year.
Writing a personal statement can be tricky, especially since you are talking about yourself!

In my experience, the best way to achieve this is to recognise what you gained from your experiences. Did you find a new-found confidence? Did you develop any skills? Public Speaking? Technological ability? How can these skills benefit you on the degree you’re applying for? Do your research on the units you’ll be studying; you don’t want to talk about any camera skills if you are applying for a Sports Coaching degree.

A personal statement is also similar to writing a cover letter for applying for a job. Different to cover letters, where there is often a clear structure set out by the hiring company, your personal statement doesn’t need to follow a set structure. With that said, here is a rough guideline of how you could order your personal statement which was suggested by my college teachers:

Reasons why you want to study

Why you’re suitable

How your current study is relevant

Your related hobbies and interests

Your skills and achievements.

And lastly, the biggest advice is to keep it relevant and just be yourself.
I hope this helps
Will - BU Student Rep :smile:
Our health and school reps have done a good post for this, the comment on it focuses on the health side! 🙂

A short guide to writing a Personal Statement... - The Student Room

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending