The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Life at Imperial College London

I have offers for Bristol and Imperial College London for Meng Aerospace engineering. I am unable to decide between them as I want to be challenged and work hard, however I also want to have some form of social life, be it going out once every two weeks, or at least having the option too. I am quite divided as I want to give myself the best possible career options I can, but I also think uni is about growing as a person. Any insight into the workload or life in general at either of these two universities would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Your career options will not be significantly changed whether you go to Bristol or Imperial. Your workload will be challenging regardless of which university to pick. However, at least in the past, Bristol was "only" accredited by the RAeS whereas Imperial has been accredited by both RAeS and IMechE. One or two employers do want specific accreditations so it is worth baring that in mind.

If you want genuine advice, focus very hard on doing well the computational units, which include FEA and CFD. These are two things which many industries want from graduates. Make sure you understand well the applied maths. It will be used throughout your time during your degree but knowing core applied maths will also put you on a good platform to study other STEM topics should you find them interesting.

During your first to third years, try and get an internship with an engineering company. Make sure you understand how to write CV's, Cover Letters and do assessment tests. Start job hunting for graduate roles at the start of your 4th year.
(edited 2 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by 0le
Your career options will not be significantly changed whether you go to Bristol or Imperial. Your workload will be challenging regardless of which university to pick. However, at least in the past, Bristol was "only" accredited by the RAeS whereas Imperial has been accredited by both RAeS and IMechE. One or two employers do want specific accreditations so it is worth baring that in mind.

If you want genuine advice, focus very hard on doing well the computational units, which include FEA and CFD. These are two things which many industries want from graduates. Make sure you understand well the applied maths. It will be used throughout your time during your degree but knowing core applied maths will also put you on a good platform to study other STEM topics should you find them interesting.

During your first to third years, try and get an internship with an engineering company. Make sure you understand how to write CV's, Cover Letters and do assessment tests. Start job hunting for graduate roles at the start of your 4th year.

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely bear it in mind, do you happen to know anything about the social life at Imperial? Because that is my only real concern with Imperial.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely bear it in mind, do you happen to know anything about the social life at Imperial? Because that is my only real concern with Imperial.

I do not really know what you mean by "social life".
Reply 4
Life around the other students, clubs and time to go out at the weekend?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Life around the other students,...

How you interact with other students is really down to you more than anything else.

...clubs...

It is London, it will have plenty of pubs and clubs.

... and time to go out at the weekend?

You will have free time. In my view, conceptually the subject is perhaps not as difficult as say Mathematics or Physics. But the workload is high because of the amount of material you will have to go through and the number of projects you will be involved with. You may therefore not have as much free time as other undergraduate students.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending