The Student Room Group

‘Lady Macbeth is a female character who changes during the play.’ please help

Hi, I have been given this question by me teacher and was wondering if anyone could give me some points with quotes as I have procrastinated for far too long and really need help.

‘Lady Macbeth is a female character who changes during the play.’Starting with this moment in the play, explore how far you agree with this view.
Write about:
how Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth in this extract
how far Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth as a female character who changes in the play as a whole.
[30 marks]
AO4 [4 marks]

The given extract is as follows;

LADY MACBETH: Out, damned spot! Out, I say! One, two. Whythen ’tis time to do’t. Hell is murky. Fie, my lord, fie, a soldier, and afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none cancall our power to account? Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?
DOCTOR: Do you mark that?
LADY MACBETH: The Thane of Fife had a wife. Where is she now? What, will these hands ne’er be clean? No more o’that, my Lord, no more o’that. You mar all with this starting.
DOCTOR: Go to, go to; you have known what you should not.
GENTLEWOMAN: She has spoke what she should not, I am sure of that. Heaven knows what she has known.
LADY MACBETH: Here’s the smell of the blood still; all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand. O, O, O.
DOCTOR: What a sigh is there! The heart is sorely charged.
GENTLEWOMAN: I would not have such a heart in my bosom for the dignity of the whole body.
DOCTOR: Well, well, well
GENTLEWOMAN: Pray God it be, sir.
DOCTOR: This disease is beyond my practice; yet I have known those which have walked in their sleep who have died holily in their beds.
LADY MACBETH: Wash your hands, put on your night-gown, look not so pale. I tell you yet again, Banquo’s buried; he cannot come out on’s grave.
DOCTOR: Even so?
LADY MACBETH: To bed, to bed; there’s knocking at the gate.Come, come, come, come, give me your hand; what’s donecannot be undone. To bed, to bed, to bed.
Look again at the whole play and then write up a list of the scenes that revolve around her change. Make some notes on the ways in which she changes her nature over the novel as well. If possible try to use them as the basis of your essay. Use your notes too to form the bulk of the essay. Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by chrispchichen
Hi, I have been given this question by me teacher and was wondering if anyone could give me some points with quotes as I have procrastinated for far too long and really need help.

‘Lady Macbeth is a female character who changes during the play.’Starting with this moment in the play, explore how far you agree with this view.
Write about:
how far Shakespeare presents Lady Macbeth as a female character who changes in the play as a whole.
[30 marks]
AO4 [4 marks]

LADY MACBETH: Out, damned spot! Out, I say! One, two. Whythen ’tis time to do’t. Hell is murky. Fie, my lord, fie, a soldier, and afeard? What need we fear who knows it, when none cancall our power to account? Yet who would have thought the old man to have had so much blood in him?
LADY MACBETH: The Thane of Fife had a wife. Where is she now? What, will these hands ne’er be clean? No more o’that, my Lord, no more o’that. You mar all with this starting.
GENTLEWOMAN: She has spoke what she should not, I am sure of that. Heaven knows what she has known.
LADY MACBETH: Here’s the smell of the blood still; all the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand. O, O, O.
GENTLEWOMAN: I would not have such a heart in my bosom for the dignity of the whole body.
DOCTOR: This disease is beyond my practice; yet I have known those which have walked in their sleep who have died holily in their beds.
LADY MACBETH: Wash your hands, put on your night-gown, look not so pale. I tell you yet again, Banquo’s buried; he cannot come out on’s grave.
LADY MACBETH: To bed, to bed; there’s knocking at the gate.Come, come, come, come, give me your hand; what’s donecannot be undone. To bed, to bed, to bed.

have you done the question yet ?
Reply 3
Original post by chrispchichen

Write about:
[30 marks]
AO4 [4 marks]

Hi, hope I’m not too late. I answered this question and got a grade 9. I would say talk about the change in the her character. Her character in act1 she was more controlling and powerful, to her character in the later acts. You can use so many quotations make sure you link back to context how Jacobean society believed women were weak and couldn’t handle the repercussions of power. Etc. Anyways good luck !
Reply 4
Hey, I doing an English exam soon and am doing some practice questions. It would be really helpful if you could perhaps send your essay so I could use it as a structural guide, since this is an area I am not particularly confident in. thanks
Reply 5
Original post by dumbo899
Hi, hope I’m not too late. I answered this question and got a grade 9. I would say talk about the change in the her character. Her character in act1 she was more controlling and powerful, to her character in the later acts. You can use so many quotations make sure you link back to context how Jacobean society believed women were weak and couldn’t handle the repercussions of power. Etc. Anyways good luck !

Could you please send it to me if you have it, as I have this question tomorow but Im not really sure how to set out my ideas.

hi could you please send me your essay as i'm confused on how to structure my answer and have exam soon. thank you
(edited 2 years ago)

hi, i have my mock in the next week or so would it be possible if you could send me your essay as I am unsure on how to answer it
Hi cou;d you please send it to me too would really like to see a well structured answer! Thank you!
Hullo, no-one is writing your essay for you. For the structure:

para 1 - lady m is presented as more male and dominant at the start, quotes about her killing the king and having a go about macbeth for being too afraid, macbeth is presented as more female

para 2 - macbeth gains more power, becomes king, lady macbeth beginning of mental illness. Out out damned spot, explore religious connotations of the word damned. Explore why her mental health is deteriorating.

para 3 - end of play, macbeth is now the man, L.M is vulnerable, damsel in distress character. She changes from someone willing to kill to someone who takes their own life. Her masculinity is completely lost. Add quotes as needed.

These are long paragraphs, so will make up enough words. This got me a 9. Tell me if you need further help :smile:
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Hullo, no-one is writing your essay for you. For the structure:

para 1 - lady m is presented as more male and dominant at the start, quotes about her killing the king and having a go about macbeth for being too afraid, macbeth is presented as more female

para 2 - macbeth gains more power, becomes king, lady macbeth beginning of mental illness. Out out damned spot, explore religious connotations of the word damned. Explore why her mental health is deteriorating.

para 3 - end of play, macbeth is now the man, L.M is vulnerable, damsel in distress character. She changes from someone willing to kill to someone who takes their own life. Her masculinity is completely lost. Add quotes as needed.

These are long paragraphs, so will make up enough words. This got me a 9. Tell me if you need further help :smile:

I really need help. Could you please send your whole paragraph or at least the quotes you used an their explanations as I need practice. I'm about to do mocks.
Hi, did u end up completing it?If u did could u send it x
Original post by _preet15
have you done the question yet ?

Please send it to me x
ive answered this question as practice but havent done my macbeth mock yet. i wont give u the full essay cause i myself am not sure if its that good. here is the beginning of my first paragraph tho if u need help w structure. (this isnt the full paragraph either)

At the beginning of the play, Lady Macbeth makes her entrance with a soliloquy, already highlighting her power as she is given a long, effective speech to portray her first impressions to the audience as dominating. Unlike typical Jacobean women, the fact that Lady Macbeth even got to have such long lines would be shocking as women were in no way dominant, they could merely speak up to their husbands, so in a play, it would not be the norm. In this soliloquy, we learn Lady Macbeth’s nature very quickly as she does not hesitate to call evil spirits upon her: ‘Come you spirits..’. Her being able to take the initiative to do such a thing immediately suggests that she is not like the ideal Jacobean woman. She willingly calls to the supernatural which intrigues the audience. If Lady Macbeth can call upon spirits, is she part of the supernatural too? The audience would be fearful, as they already have just seen how three women, the Weird Sisters, are powerful and push their prophecies on Macbeth. It would create an eerie vibe as Lady Macbeth’s role in the play would rashly be analysed by them too…could she be a witch too? Furthermore, the fact that Lady Macbeth uses imperative verbs very easily, such as ‘come’, soon followed by ‘fill’, shows that she is very domineering and upfront. No Jacobean woman would talk like that to anyone, let alone spirits. This further highlights her unusual, quite rather malicious nature, presented right from the beginning of her introduction.
Original post by sabihaa06
ive answered this question as practice but havent done my macbeth mock yet. i wont give u the full essay cause i myself am not sure if its that good. here is the beginning of my first paragraph tho if u need help w structure. (this isnt the full paragraph either)

At the beginning of the play, Lady Macbeth makes her entrance with a soliloquy, already highlighting her power as she is given a long, effective speech to portray her first impressions to the audience as dominating. Unlike typical Jacobean women, the fact that Lady Macbeth even got to have such long lines would be shocking as women were in no way dominant, they could merely speak up to their husbands, so in a play, it would not be the norm. In this soliloquy, we learn Lady Macbeth’s nature very quickly as she does not hesitate to call evil spirits upon her: ‘Come you spirits..’. Her being able to take the initiative to do such a thing immediately suggests that she is not like the ideal Jacobean woman. She willingly calls to the supernatural which intrigues the audience. If Lady Macbeth can call upon spirits, is she part of the supernatural too? The audience would be fearful, as they already have just seen how three women, the Weird Sisters, are powerful and push their prophecies on Macbeth. It would create an eerie vibe as Lady Macbeth’s role in the play would rashly be analysed by them too…could she be a witch too? Furthermore, the fact that Lady Macbeth uses imperative verbs very easily, such as ‘come’, soon followed by ‘fill’, shows that she is very domineering and upfront. No Jacobean woman would talk like that to anyone, let alone spirits. This further highlights her unusual, quite rather malicious nature, presented right from the beginning of her introduction.

That’s so good, I’m doing my mock next week I’m so scared and idk what to write

Latest