The Student Room Group

Maths, Oh jeez! :(

Ok, so I have a maths test tomorrow and have no idea what a "graphs of complex functions" is. Can someone please help?
Reply 1
Original post by HANGRY123
Ok, so I have a maths test tomorrow and have no idea what a "graphs of complex functions" is. Can someone please help?

Have you looked at your textbook? I don't recommend trying to understand a whole topic by reading forum posts. If you have a particular question(s) then post it here with your attempt and we can help.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
Have you looked at your textbook? I don't recommend trying to understand a whole topic by reading forum posts. If you have a particular question(s) then post it here with your attempt and we can help.

It isn't in my textbook but it is on my checklist - I have no idea what it is or about tbh :confused:
Reply 3
It isn't in my textbook but it is on my checklist - I have no idea what it is or about tbh :confused:

Look for "argand diagrams" in the index of your textbook. If it's not there then can you say what exam your are doing, what textbook you have and where you got the checklist from?
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
Look for "argand diagrams" in the index of your textbook. If it's not there then can you say what exam your are doing, what textbook you have and where you got the checklist from?

I'm doing GCSE Edexcel, I have the Edexcel revision guide for mathematics (higher) and I got my checklist from school.
Reply 5
I'm doing GCSE Edexcel, I have the Edexcel revision guide for mathematics (higher) and I got my checklist from school.

I think your checklist has used an unfortunate term "complex" since this is a mathematical word but it's not part of GCSE. They mean graphs of "harder" functions.

From the spec:

A12 recognise, sketch and interpret graphs of linear functions, quadratic
functions, simple cubic functions, the reciprocal function y = 1/x = with x 0,
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Notnek
I think your textbook has used an unfortunate term "complex" since this is a mathematical word but it's not part of GCSE. They mean graphs of "harder" functions.

From the spec:

A12 recognise, sketch and interpret graphs of linear functions, quadratic
functions, simple cubic functions, the reciprocal function y = 1/x = with x 0,

also exponential functions (in the form y=ab^x) and trigonometric functions (sin, cos and tan) if you're doing higher
Reply 7
Oh thanks! Why can't they just put that?!? :h:

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 8
Oh thanks! Why can't they just put that?!? :h:

Thanks again :smile:

In my opinion it is because whoever wrote that part of the checklist was either careless and/or lazy. Well done for actually asking and taking the trouble to find out - a lot of students may just have ignored it. Good luck with your revision and exams.
Reply 9
Original post by unplayable
also exponential functions (in the form y=ab^x) and trigonometric functions (sin, cos and tan) if you're doing higher

Thanks, I didn't copy/paste all of it.

Quick Reply

Latest