The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

To all current undergrads

I'm from the USA and I just firmed Imperial. Thinking of applying to med school after graduating. I noticed that the grading system in the UK is very different from ours. A is a 90 here, but a first is only a 70. What grades do people normally get? What is the average you need to be at the top of your cohort?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm from the USA and I just firmed Imperial. Thinking of applying to med school after graduating. I noticed that the grading system in the UK is very different from ours. A is a 90 here, but a first is only a 70. What grades do people normally get? What is the average you need to be at the top of your cohort?

It depends on the course, an “average” student at IC in the middle of a non medical cohort might be hitting 65-68 (high 2:1), people right at the very top of the year might be up at 85% or so. Good 1st class students (top ~20% of the year, the type you want to keep on as a a PhD student) are typically at about 75%. It takes someone really exceptional to routinely hit 80+ across the full breadth of exams, labs and other assessed work. Not sure what the cohort distribution looks like for medics.
(edited 2 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Why don’t you just do medicine undergrad? Doing it as graduate entry is 10x harder to get onto than undergrad and there are less spaces. Also imperial, really? It’s one of the most stuck up and antisocial unis in the UK. It’s popular with abroad students who don’t want to experience the UK, just want to study at a top uni living in their room for 3 years. I almost went there until I visited and the biomedical science final year representatives told me when I was talking to them to NOT go to Imperial as they run the course awfully. Medicine undergrad may be better and post grad, but biomed is the main undergrad course that links to medicine so if you do graduate entry then you’ll be with these dissatisfied people.
Reply 3
Why don’t you just do medicine undergrad? Doing it as graduate entry is 10x harder to get onto than undergrad and there are less spaces. Also imperial, really? It’s one of the most stuck up and antisocial unis in the UK. It’s popular with abroad students who don’t want to experience the UK, just want to study at a top uni living in their room for 3 years. I almost went there until I visited and the biomedical science final year representatives told me when I was talking to them to NOT go to Imperial as they run the course awfully. Medicine undergrad may be better and post grad, but biomed is the main undergrad course that links to medicine so if you do graduate entry then you’ll be with these dissatisfied people.

If they're planning on doing medicine in the US then you can't do it as a first degree, you have to do pre-med.
Original post by Sinnoh
If they're planning on doing medicine in the US then you can't do it as a first degree, you have to do pre-med.

I know but if they’re doing that then why have their firmed imperial? That implies they’re coming over to do their degree here.
Reply 5
I know but if they’re doing that then why have their firmed imperial? That implies they’re coming over to do their degree here.

Places for medicine are capped for international students here so it's harder to get in and the international medicine fees are about 30% more than other undergraduate courses. But they might still want to go to uni abroad. So they'd do their pre-med degree abroad and then do medicine in the US. Maybe.
Original post by Sinnoh
Places for medicine are capped for international students here so it's harder to get in and the international medicine fees are about 30% more than other undergraduate courses. But they might still want to go to uni abroad. So they'd do their pre-med degree abroad and then do medicine in the US. Maybe.

Maybe, they weren’t very clear. Either way I still question their uni choice. It’s one of the hardest for international students to get into as it is basically advertised at them, and it’s a very cold place and if they can handle that then that’s fine, it’s just a lot of money so they need to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending