The Student Room Group

What grades would I be looking to get in my GCSEs with these Yr 10 mocks?

These are the first mocks I've done for GCSE and these are my grades:
Maths: 9
English Lang: 6
Geography: 7
Statistics: 8
Physics: 9
Chemistry: 9
Biology: 8
Computer Science: 8
Economics: 9
Do you guys think I could turn all these into 9s or at least an 8?
(We only did English lang not lit but I'm predicted an 8 so far)
Yeahhh those are rlly good -- I'd say all 9s with revision over the summer and consistent work next year! How did u revise for computer science, if you don't mind my asking?
Reply 2
Original post by RedVelvet16
Yeahhh those are rlly good -- I'd say all 9s with revision over the summer and consistent work next year! How did u revise for computer science, if you don't mind my asking?

I'm not gonna lie, the only revision I did was the morning before the test and I somehow just fluked it. If I was to revise properly, I would have used flashcards to learn the content and then just do past papers. That's what I do for sciences and it works like a charm.
won’t lie to you mate, mocks mean nothing. i’ve failed every single mock but managed to get mostly 8s and 9s as actual gcses. a lot can happen in a year, so don’t be expecting all 9s but i’d say if you continue as you are you’ll probably get that!
Original post by arzav.1
I'm not gonna lie, the only revision I did was the morning before the test and I somehow just fluked it. If I was to revise properly, I would have used flashcards to learn the content and then just do past papers. That's what I do for sciences and it works like a charm.

thxxx
I'm going into Y11 in September too, so good luck!
If you keep on your current trajectory yeah. Just be aware bad days happen.

If you get mainly 8s and 9s, you don't really have to worry about your GCSE grades going forward, it'll be fine for almost anything. (and even if not, GCSE grades don't matter for much)
Reply 6
Original post by RedVelvet16
thxxx
I'm going into Y11 in September too, so good luck!

You too!!
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
If you keep on your current trajectory yeah. Just be aware bad days happen.

If you get mainly 8s and 9s, you don't really have to worry about your GCSE grades going forward, it'll be fine for almost anything. (and even if not, GCSE grades don't matter for much)

Ok thanks! The only thing I'm worried about is if I cant keep going like this and start to lose focus. Any tips to stay on track?
Original post by arzav.1
Ok thanks! The only thing I'm worried about is if I cant keep going like this and start to lose focus. Any tips to stay on track?

Don't go too intense too early because you'll burn out and be unable to focus when it counts. Stagger yourself. Take a bit of a rest over the holidays. Plan your time but don't waste too much time doing so.

If you get what you got for your mocks that'll be enough for pretty much anything.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Your grades look to be great but mock grades vary widely between schools so it can be hard to know how reliable they are. Mine, for instance, is a grammar school where about 40% of the year get a 9 in Maths but never awards anyone an 8 (in any subject*) before the end of Y10 mocks (and then sparingly) and only awards 9s in Year 11. Anyone getting mostly 7s at the end of Year 10 is doing really well.

*Unless it's a modern language which is your home language
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
Your grades look to be great but mock grades vary widely between schools so it can be hard to know how reliable they are. Mine, for instance, is a grammar school where about 40% of the year get a 9 in Maths but never awards anyone an 8 (in any subject*) before the end of Y10 mocks (and then sparingly) and only awards 9s in Year 11. Anyone getting mostly 7s at the end of Year 10 is doing really well.

*Unless it's a modern language which is your home language

Hi, In my school the grade boundaries are calculated after the papers have been marked so only a specific number of people can get a 9 or 8, etc. I'm not sure what the exact no. of people is though.

Quick Reply

Latest