The Student Room Group

Current Regional Law Firm Trainee: Ask Me Anything?

Hi everyone

July can be a busy time in the legal world. Lots of TC deadlines, assessment centres and interviews as well as people beginning to think about starting a new year in their LLB or beginning a new course. So I thought I’d set up a thread to allow people (if they want) to ask questions to someone who has been through the whole process.

A bit about me, I did my LLB at a London University and then worked a paralegal for a couple of years in various areas before doing the LPC with the University of Law. I’m now in my first seat of my training contract at a West Midlands law firm.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi Rijul

I think there are two parts to your question.

Firstly, can you apply with less than perfect academics? From my perspective you can. I don’t have great A Levels however I’ve made up for it with my LLB (high 2:1 so still far from perfect). I think my advice is that you need to overcome academics with another area of the firm’s criteria. Though some firms may have minimum academic requirements which are difficult if not impossible to overcome. For me I had quite a bit of work experience both legal and non-legal that I could take about in interviews and application forms. Being good at psychometric testing is a bonus too - scoring highly on that gets the attention of the interviewer/HR. There are plenty of free practice tests online you can do to prepare.

In terms of competitiveness, it is certainly true that regional firms take on far less trainees than the magic circle or big city firms but then regional firms undoubtedly get less applications. In my opinion, I don’t think regional firms are any more competitive than any other “type” of firm.

Best of luck with everything 😊
Original post by RegionalTrainee
Hi everyone

July can be a busy time in the legal world. Lots of TC deadlines, assessment centres and interviews as well as people beginning to think about starting a new year in their LLB or beginning a new course. So I thought I’d set up a thread to allow people (if they want) to ask questions to someone who has been through the whole process.

A bit about me, I did my LLB at a London University and then worked a paralegal for a couple of years in various areas before doing the LPC with the University of Law. I’m now in my first seat of my training contract at a West Midlands law firm.

How many hours a week do you work?
Original post by daveymcloughlin
How many hours a week do you work?

Hi Davey

It does vary week by week. I start anywhere between 8:30 and 9am and rarely finish after 6pm.

I think the latest I’ve ever been in the office working was 7:30.

I can’t speak for those who have qualified but I would say that most people have left by 6pm most days.
Reply 4
Hi everyone

what would be your advice for an assessment centre? I have my first one next week and so I don't quite know what to expect. its for a paralegal role with a regional firm, which will lead to a TC if successful. any help would be great!
Original post by helencc
what would be your advice for an assessment centre? I have my first one next week and so I don't quite know what to expect. its for a paralegal role with a regional firm, which will lead to a TC if successful. any help would be great!

Try and find out as much as you can about what type of assessments will take place on the day. Preparation is key for assessment centres. If there are group tasks then make sure to exhibit all of the qualities that you think they might be looking for. For instance, you could show good organisational skills by offering to keep a note of what’s been agreed by the group or being time keeper (for timed exercises).

If there is a presentation element to the day then I would say try and think outside the box and try and incorporate humour into the presentation. Partners and HR will probably have sat through 100s of presentations during their careers from perspective trainees and so a dry and serious presentation won’t help you stand out.

Most importantly, be yourself - if you over think things then the firm doesn’t get a good picture of whether you are a good fit for the role/firm and in the long term that benefits no one and also adds to the stress of the day. Also, try not to view those on the day with you as your competition - you never know when you might meet them again in the future and you wouldn’t want to leave a bad impression.

Hope this helps and good luck with your assessment centre.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi is it possible to secure work as a paralegal after completing my law degree? If so, how do I go about this? Do I need to complete other courses?
Original post by Itssbeckie
Hi is it possible to secure work as a paralegal after completing my law degree? If so, how do I go about this? Do I need to complete other courses?

Hi Beckie,

Once you have finished your law degree (or even before) you’ll be able to apply for paralegal jobs. The best way to find these jobs is to go on the websites of the firms you are interested in. A lot post vacancies on their own website only. Other options are the jobs section of LinkedIn or looking on legal recruitment websites.

In terms of other courses, some paralegal vacancies require you to have already completed the LPC but you’ll usually know this up front on the job description/vacancy.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Hi Beckie,

Once you have finished your law degree (or even before) you’ll be able to apply for paralegal jobs. The best way to find these jobs is to go on the websites of the firms you are interested in. A lot post vacancies on their own website only. Other options are the jobs section of LinkedIn or looking on legal recruitment websites.

In terms of other courses, some paralegal vacancies require you to have already completed the LPC but you’ll usually know this up front on the job description/vacancy.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

Thanks so much! My uni have been so unhelpful with post uni things so having to figure it all out getting very confused haha!
Hi everyone

Hi there do you know which regional firms are strongest in the life sciences sector in general?

Does it take comparatively less time to make partner in a regional firm compared to biglaw in London and is there comparatively more chance of becoming a partner than in biglaw in London?

Many thanks!
Original post by Study_LawD
Hi there do you know which regional firms are strongest in the life sciences sector in general?

Does it take comparatively less time to make partner in a regional firm compared to biglaw in London and is there comparatively more chance of becoming a partner than in biglaw in London?

Many thanks!

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay in coming back to you. I’m no expert in the life science sector but I know that firms such as Womble Bond Dickinson and Taylor Vinters operate in that field. Website like Chambers & partners and Legal 500 are good to see who are recognised as being active in any particular area of law.

In terms of partners, I would think that it is equally competitive wherever you practice. There is a larger disparity between time to make partner between practice areas than you might realise.
I suppose Biglaw has more partners as they have more lawyers generally so there is an argument that you have a great chance of being promoted to that level at big law firms however there are obviously more people vying for those positions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending