The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme

Is anyone planning to apply to the Sutton Trust US Programme this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _samantha.smithh

Not planning on applying this year, but was a part of the programme a few years ago! I'm happy to help anyone who's interested.

I'd say if you're eligible, you should definitely apply! It was an amazing experience that was super useful for uni admissions, as well as being fun and helping me to make some great friends and memories!

Planning to give it a shot yeah, seems pretty competitive though so haven't got all hopes riding on it (10% is rough). What sort of majors are people hoping to apply for, come 2023?
Original post by ry7xsfa
Not planning on applying this year, but was a part of the programme a few years ago! I'm happy to help anyone who's interested.

I'd say if you're eligible, you should definitely apply! It was an amazing experience that was super useful for uni admissions, as well as being fun and helping me to make some great friends and memories!

Sounds amazing!! Do you mind me asking if you went/go to a university in the USA?
Original post by Anonymous
Planning to give it a shot yeah, seems pretty competitive though so haven't got all hopes riding on it (10% is rough). What sort of majors are people hoping to apply for, come 2023?

Hopefully Finance/ Economics or Computing Science! What are you thinking?
Sounds amazing!! Do you mind me asking if you went/go to a university in the USA?

I'm going to be starting my freshman year in September! Almost everyone else in my cohort (cohort 8) has just finished their freshman year, but I took a year of leave because of COVID.
Hopefully Finance/ Economics or Computing Science! What are you thinking?

I'm hoping to study engineering, probably mechanical, aerospace or bio depending on the college. I'm open to most stuff stem-related though
I'm hoping to study engineering, probably mechanical, aerospace or bio depending on the college. I'm open to most stuff stem-related though

Interesting. Something to note is that a lot of the US Universities that are going to be offering financial aid to international students will be LACs (Liberal Arts Colleges). It can be relatively uncommon for these to offer engineering majors.

It's definitely possible - and there are more colleges that offer the major than you would ever end up applying to, but just something to keep in mind that it can feel somewhat limiting compared to people who are majoring in other subjects that are more commonly offered (or at least, that's how I felt going through the process).
(edited 2 years ago)
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Currently I'm trying to narrow down what colleges to apply to - I was wondering what sort of approach you took to do this? And how did the Sutton trust program help with this?
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Currently I'm trying to narrow down what colleges to apply to - I was wondering what sort of approach you took to do this? And how did the Sutton trust program help with this?

You've got plenty of time. One thing they emphasise is that there's no need to rush.

They give help with finding good essay topics to write about (including a helpful experienced second pair of eyes for review), finding what you want in a school, and how to increase your chances of admission in every way possible.

I didn't narrow down very well if I'm honest. I ended up applying to 15 schools - which is way over what they recommend and also way over what anyone else was doing. I ended up stretching myself too thinly and ended up with a huge pool of rejections and waitlists, and 1 accept fortunately. I didn't get to put enough time or effort into any of my individual applications because I applied to so many, and my quality suffered as a result. But I got my initial 15 by checking out the website and talking to the admissions team where possible. The first thing I looked for was: Do they offer an engineering major? and I also wanted a few other things too.

One of the big reasons I didn't narrow it down enough was because I wanted to cast a wide net and give myself more chances to get in - which ended up having the opposite effect.
Original post by ry7xsfa
You've got plenty of time. One thing they emphasise is that there's no need to rush.

They give help with finding good essay topics to write about (including a helpful experienced second pair of eyes for review), finding what you want in a school, and how to increase your chances of admission in every way possible.

I didn't narrow down very well if I'm honest. I ended up applying to 15 schools - which is way over what they recommend and also way over what anyone else was doing. I ended up stretching myself too thinly and ended up with a huge pool of rejections and waitlists, and 1 accept fortunately. I didn't get to put enough time or effort into any of my individual applications because I applied to so many, and my quality suffered as a result. But I got my initial 15 by checking out the website and talking to the admissions team where possible. The first thing I looked for was: Do they offer an engineering major? and I also wanted a few other things too.

One of the big reasons I didn't narrow it down enough was because I wanted to cast a wide net and give myself more chances to get in - which ended up having the opposite effect.

What kind of grades did you have and what were your extra-curriculares?
What kind of grades did you have and what were your extra-curriculares?

A-Level predicted was A*A*A, although they came out much lower than that with CAGs for various reasons. They were an accurate prediction at the time they were made. Was also predicted Distinction*Distinction*Distinction for a Level 3 BTEC and exceeded this.

GCSEs 988877777 and a Double Distinction* at BTEC Level 2.

ACT 35.

My ECs:
I was a part of my schools robotics club for 5 years, competed and won awards locally and nationally, and competed internationally.
Internship for a few years for a music school doing various stuff - web development, graphic design, syllabus writing, sound engineering at live events
Electric guitar to grade 6, planned to take grade 8 in 2020 but covid happened.
Volunteering at robotics events for primary schools, and helping to run science fairs at a local primary school.
Helped the year 11 students prepare for their GCSE German exams.
Continued to self-teach German after stopping at school (My school didn’t offer A-Level)
Original post by ry7xsfa
A-Level predicted was A*A*A, although they came out much lower than that with CAGs for various reasons. They were an accurate prediction at the time they were made. Was also predicted Distinction*Distinction*Distinction for a Level 3 BTEC and exceeded this.

GCSEs 988877777 and a Double Distinction* at BTEC Level 2.

ACT 35.

My ECs:
I was a part of my schools robotics club for 5 years, competed and won awards locally and nationally, and competed internationally.
Internship for a few years for a music school doing various stuff - web development, graphic design, syllabus writing, sound engineering at live events
Electric guitar to grade 6, planned to take grade 8 in 2020 but covid happened.
Volunteering at robotics events for primary schools, and helping to run science fairs at a local primary school.
Helped the year 11 students prepare for their GCSE German exams.
Continued to self-teach German after stopping at school (My school didn’t offer A-Level)

What resources did you use to help you prepare for the ACT?
Original post by ry7xsfa

Mhm that makes sense. Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated
What resources did you use to help you prepare for the ACT?

The programme provided resources
What sort of stats (GCSEs, ECs/volunteering) are people hoping to apply to the programme with?
What sort of stats (GCSEs, ECs/volunteering) are people hoping to apply to the programme with?

I’m not applying to sutton trust, but I’m applying for 2022 entry to US colleges?

I’ve got 999998888887777A* at gcse, and A*A*AA at a level

ECs:

- local charity champion, helping to organise and managing local charity work from my place of employment, including events and visits- contributing to nearly £1m raised so far for charities and individuals internationally, all of which have the aim of reducing social inequalities and deprivation both in the UK and within India.

- diana award - individually selected by a panel to represent the charity as an ambassador (one of 2) - enrolled as an ambassador and working within the award and development programme, exemplifying and awarding exceptional young people. named the most prestigious award for young people

- selected advocate within education debates, leading discussions upon the impact of ACEs upon educational performance and inequalities across the UK, education secretary, governors, MPs and members of cabinet past and present present

- house captain, similar to head boy - leading a large group of students providing support

- sport, athletics (discus), 1500m and swimming all to regional level

- performing arts, winner of prestigious cup locally for best male performance, involvement in 6 school plays

- editor of school magazine, read by 2000 and attracted local and regional media coverage, content included in BBC young report

- own research soon to be published on research website by UK royal geographical society on the changing political role and action taken in regards to the environment in brazil, big focus on public policy and social issues raised from politics

Looking to major in either Social Sciences or Environmental Science/Public Policy (with a focus on environmental or education).

My ECs are quite all over the place, but bar music and sport, my main ECs focus around the theme of people, policy and the interaction between the two, so hopefully I seem committed enough to the idea

Applying to Harvard, Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell and Princeton in US and regular UK unis :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by azby1098
I’m not applying to sutton trust, but I’m applying for 2022 entry to US colleges?

I’ve got 999998888887777A* at gcse, and A*A*AA at a level

ECs:

- local charity champion, helping to organise and managing local charity work from my place of employment, including events and visits- contributing to nearly £1m raised so far for charities and individuals internationally, all of which have the aim of reducing social inequalities and deprivation both in the UK and within India.

- diana award - individually selected by a panel to represent the charity as an ambassador (one of 2) - enrolled as an ambassador and working within the award and development programme, exemplifying and awarding exceptional young people. named the most prestigious award for young people

- selected advocate within education debates, leading discussions upon the impact of ACEs upon educational performance and inequalities across the UK, education secretary, governors, MPs and members of cabinet past and present present

- house captain, similar to head boy - leading a large group of students providing support

- sport, athletics (discus), 1500m and swimming all to regional level

- performing arts, winner of prestigious cup locally for best male performance, involvement in 6 school plays

- editor of school magazine, read by 2000 and attracted local and regional media coverage, content included in BBC young report

- own research soon to be published on research website by UK royal geographical society on the changing political role and action taken in regards to the environment in brazil, big focus on public policy and social issues raised from politics

Looking to major in either Social Sciences or Environmental Science/Public Policy (with a focus on environmental or education).

My ECs are quite all over the place, but bar music and sport, my main ECs focus around the theme of people, policy and the interaction between the two, so hopefully I seem committed enough to the idea

Applying to Harvard, Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell and Princeton in US and regular UK unis :smile:

Wow, congrats! That's really impressive stuff - 16 GCSEs at such a high level, along with all of those ECs you have is so amazing! In the position that you're in, do you wish you'd done anything differently in year 12? (I'm just about to enter, so any advice would be helpful). And good luck with your applications - I'm sure you'll do great!
Wow, congrats! That's really impressive stuff - 16 GCSEs at such a high level, along with all of those ECs you have is so amazing! In the position that you're in, do you wish you'd done anything differently in year 12? (I'm just about to enter, so any advice would be helpful). And good luck with your applications - I'm sure you'll do great!

So i’ve just finished year 13 and applying in my gap year - in regards to A Levels, consistency is key, keep working on your revision resources. For US applications, I’d say work out the school of study you’d like to major in and find niche ECs around that area of study. Try to get something that gets to national recognition even if you are just part of a huge team doing it, and your name isn’t individually mentioned :smile:
Awesome, thanks a lot - and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending