The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Maths

Obviously, this course is extremely competitive, but I was wondering what sorts of things they place the most emphasis on? Do they care a lot about the personal statement? Or is it a case of needing good predictions and a strong score in the MAT? Would a bad MAT score cause them to reject you, or would they give a higher offer instead (e.g. step)? Or is it a case of everything needs to be "perfect" to stand any chance whatsoever?

Of course, the scores on the MAT vary quite a bit each year, but is there a way to see historically what they will have wanted you to get?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by heccyeah
Obviously, this course is extremely competitive, but I was wondering what sorts of things they place the most emphasis on? Do they care a lot about the personal statement? Or is it a case of needing good predictions and a strong score in the MAT? Would a bad MAT score cause them to reject you, or would they give a higher offer instead (e.g. step)? Or is it a case of everything needs to be "perfect" to stand any chance whatsoever?

Of course, the scores on the MAT vary quite a bit each year, but is there a way to see historically what they will have wanted you to get?

I didn't do great on the MAT (got the average mark aka 50th percentile I think) but I was told I had a very good ps and got an offer (plus I had predicted grades above their offer - I think all they'd need are predicted grades above or equal) so I'd say that it depends. Imo they treat the personal statement for maths very seriously since its the only way to tell what the student's like due to lack of interviews.

Edit: Just to clarify, I got the standard offer aka A*A*A with no STEP requirements.
(edited 2 years ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by JustSomeGuy:/
I didn't do great on the MAT (got the average mark aka 50th percentile I think) but I was told I had a very good ps and got an offer (plus I had predicted grades above their offer - I think all they'd need are predicted grades above or equal) so I'd say that it depends. Imo they treat the personal statement for maths very seriously since its the only way to tell what the student's like due to lack of interviews.

Edit: Just to clarify, I got the standard offer aka A*A*A with no STEP requirements.

hi! just wondering if the MAT was worth taking when you applied? sounds like a lot of hassle from what i've seen on it.
Original post by yese5678998239
hi! just wondering if the MAT was worth taking when you applied? sounds like a lot of hassle from what i've seen on it.

Taking the MAT is required if you apply before the 15th of October (so if you're applying to Oxbridge at the same time). If you don't take the MAT, you'll have to take STEP, which might be a more problematic. I'd say out of the 2, MAT is probably a better bet. MAT is a lot wordier and technically easier since you do it before as well as having no further maths requirements to take it, whereas STEP is more about just doing raw maths with more difficult questions since you do it 6 months later (plus you do your A-levels at the same time), as well as containing further maths content however you get a range of questions with STEP that you can choose from but with the MAT you have to do the 6 set questions. However, you will most likely be pretty difficult to judge if you don't do the MAT so I'd recommend it. I'd say look at STEP as well and decide what you'd prefer, however I don't know if chances of an offer change if you don't take the MAT beforehand. I'd go with a no if the other parts of your application are strong. Like I said before, it's not the be all and end all.
Original post by JustSomeGuy:/
Taking the MAT is required if you apply before the 15th of October (so if you're applying to Oxbridge at the same time). If you don't take the MAT, you'll have to take STEP, which might be a more problematic. I'd say out of the 2, MAT is probably a better bet. MAT is a lot wordier and technically easier since you do it before as well as having no further maths requirements to take it, whereas STEP is more about just doing raw maths with more difficult questions since you do it 6 months later (plus you do your A-levels at the same time), as well as containing further maths content however you get a range of questions with STEP that you can choose from but with the MAT you have to do the 6 set questions. However, you will most likely be pretty difficult to judge if you don't do the MAT so I'd recommend it. I'd say look at STEP as well and decide what you'd prefer, however I don't know if chances of an offer change if you don't take the MAT beforehand. I'd go with a no if the other parts of your application are strong. Like I said before, it's not the be all and end all.

that helps a lot thank you so much! can i ask what grades you ended up getting? can ignore if too personal
Original post by yese5678998239
that helps a lot thank you so much! can i ask what grades you ended up getting? can ignore if too personal

No idea, I'm going to find out in a few weeks.:tongue:
ah apologies. good luck, i'm sure you've smashed it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending