The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Chemistry degree: Should I drop further maths?

Hi, so my predicted grades are:
A* for Chemistry
A* for Maths
A for Physics
B for Further Maths
I want to maximise my change of going to Imperial for the “Chemistry with a Year in Industry” course. The entry requirements for this course is AAA. Should I keep further maths or not? Would the B predicted from further maths, lower my chance of getting into Imperial?
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Enkindle
A* for Chemistry
A* for Maths
A for Physics
B for Further Maths
I want to maximise my change of going to Imperial for the “Chemistry with a Year in Industry” course. The entry requirements for this course is AAA. Should I keep further maths or not? Would the B predicted from further maths, lower my chance of getting into Imperial?

I’d stick with Further Maths, nearly all of your competitors will be applying to Imperial with it. Even if it’s a lower grade, 4 A-Levels are better than 3. Your predicted grades already exceed the entry requirements and i’m sure that the FM grade could go up to an A with a year’s hard work.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by fortified_shi
I’d stick with Further Maths, nearly all of your competitors will be applying to Imperial with it. Even if it’s a lower grade, 4 A-Levels are better than 3. Your predicted grades already exceed the entry requirements and i’m sure that the FM grade could go up to an A with a year’s hard work.

Yes I’m certain I can get an A in further maths. Would Imperial will give an offer based on four a-levels or 3 a-levels since their typical offer for chemistry is A*AA-A*A*A (made to at least 80% of applicants) on the official website?
Yes I’m certain I can get an A in further maths. Would Imperial will give an offer based on four a-levels or 3 a-levels since their typical offer for chemistry is A*AA-A*A*A (made to at least 80% of applicants) on the official website?

Usually unis make an offer on the basis of 3 A-levels, but if you are taking 4 then they can make an offer based on 4 A-levels.

While some of the topics in further maths are useful for chemistry (mostly matrices and complex numbers), if you are struggling with it there's really little to be gained by dragging yourself through it - and you do in fact risk something by doing so, as you might not only get a poorer result in FM, you might get a poorer result in other subjects by spreading yourself too thinly trying to keep on top of the FM content you are struggling with.

I'd suggest dropping FM - if that's a deal breaker for Imperial it's probably because you would need to do a lot more maths in that vein and thus struggle with the degree there in any event.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Usually unis make an offer on the basis of 3 A-levels, but if you are taking 4 then they can make an offer based on 4 A-levels.

While some of the topics in further maths are useful for chemistry (mostly matrices and complex numbers), if you are struggling with it there's really little to be gained by dragging yourself through it - and you do in fact risk something by doing so, as you might not only get a poorer result in FM, you might get a poorer result in other subjects by spreading yourself too thinly trying to keep on top of the FM content you are struggling with.

I'd suggest dropping FM - if that's a deal breaker for Imperial it's probably because you would need to do a lot more maths in that vein and thus struggle with the degree there in any event.

Hmmmm if and only if it’s a deal breaker for imperial, I should keep further maths then… but if i really do keep it, would the B in further maths repel Imperial from giving me an offer?
Hmmmm if and only if it’s a deal breaker for imperial, I should keep further maths then… but if i really do keep it, would the B in further maths repel Imperial from giving me an offer?

I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. If you are struggling with FM and getting a B, and Imperial really want FM - it's because the course at Imperial will be more mathematical and require you to be very confident in that content. As you aren't, chances are you would struggle on the degree programme at Imperial, and so it would be better not to go there in that case.

Remember, getting into the degree is just step 1. You then need to actually go through the entire 3-4 year course, and hopefully also do well in it. If you are going to spend the whole time hating it and scrape a 3rd class degree, you aren't gaining much from the whole process anyway.

Thus, by dropping FM, you save yourself the fuss now, and if you get rejected for that reason then you've done yourself a favour of not getting yourself into a course you're going to struggle with. It's a no-lose situation in reality as if the course at Imperial doesn't favour FM you have nothing to lose, and if it does then as above, you'd have bigger problems later.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. If you are struggling with FM and getting a B, and Imperial really want FM - it's because the course at Imperial will be more mathematical and require you to be very confident in that content. As you aren't, chances are you would struggle on the degree programme at Imperial, and so it would be better not to go there in that case.

Remember, getting into the degree is just step 1. You then need to actually go through the entire 3-4 year course, and hopefully also do well in it. If you are going to spend the whole time hating it and scrape a 3rd class degree, you aren't gaining much from the whole process anyway.

Thus, by dropping FM, you save yourself the fuss now, and if you get rejected for that reason then you've done yourself a favour of not getting yourself into a course you're going to struggle with. It's a no-lose situation in reality as if the course at Imperial doesn't favour FM you have nothing to lose, and if it does then as above, you'd have bigger problems later.

Hmmm… I understand your perspective. I will just take some time to think about it (I have 3-5 months to decide on this so plenty of time I guess). Thank you for providing another point of view, I really appreciate it. :u:

If you do 4 Alevels, they will offer 4 Alevel requirements i’m sure. I did 4 and everyone I know who did 4 got given 4 grade requirements. It will most likely be an A in FM too
A* for Chemistry
A* for Maths
A for Physics
B for Further Maths

I don’t believe it would be harmful to your application to drop FM, since your other 3 A level predictions meet or exceed the entry requirements.

If you are concerned about having less time to focus on your other A levels as a result of keeping FM, it’s well worth dropping it. If you are managing all your subjects well and are enjoying them all, there probably is no need to drop it.
Original post by fortified_shi

4 A-Levels are not better than 3 for Imperial. I know this because I emailed admissions themselves months ago and they confirmed they do not advantage applicants with 4 a levels over those with 3
I applied to MSci Chemistry at Imperial in 2022 (not quite the same course, but at the time it had the same entry criteria) and managed to land myself an offer (which I later declined) despite a terrible interview and not taking further maths.

But let’s just take a look at the exact entry requirements for the course in question

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduate/chemistry-msci/#OptionA

As expected, FM is not a subject they require- they expect chemistry and maths and prefer it if your third A level is another science or FM - if the OP were to drop FM, they’d still fit the criteria in this regard as they are still taking physics and in regards to the expected grades.
you declined Imperial - where did you go to?
Original post by alphabeta05
you declined Imperial - where did you go to?

After a gap year, I’m off to Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending