The Student Room Group

what the hell... can law students or university students help me?

So, before anyone makes an assumption, I have a disability [hard of hearing] and mental health issues [all undiagnosed but I am getting a diagnoses tomorrow. I have worked awfully hard for my CPD and something was not working when I uploaded the document but overall, it turned out fine.

But, I got a 33% which is not fair because I worked many nights and days on this module and I feel like the marking is not fair on my behalf. I do not know how to make a complaint to the university about this issue, they know I am hard of hearing but did not receive any help from the lecturers for the university itself and I am getting a medical proof from the doctors about my mental health.

Now, the key information is that I'm in my first year and did not receive any help for my disability.

What can I do?
Have you applied for DSA? It might not help with this particular assignment but it might help you get the provisions you need in lectures.
Your SU are the best port of call as they will know how to contest the mark. Unfortunately, the way most uni disability services work, you need proof of disability to be able to access their help at all - this includes liaising with lecturers to make sure your needs are accommodated. So I think you will find it incredibly hard to challenge the decision on disability grounds if you did not (for whatever reason) have the paperwork in place before you submitted your work...

Were you given any feedback as to why you received that mark, or just the mark with no feedback?
What extra support did you need to do the assignment? Can you watch the lectures or attend the tutorials okay? This would be a issue across all modules wouldn’t it rather than just one I’d have thought?
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
Have you applied for DSA? It might not help with this particular assignment but it might help you get the provisions you need in lectures.

I have applied for DSA last year and I was supposed to have these sessions but I could not arrange them due to my old laptop broke [not an excuse] and I was feeling quite depressed....
Reply 5
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Your SU are the best port of call as they will know how to contest the mark. Unfortunately, the way most uni disability services work, you need proof of disability to be able to access their help at all - this includes liaising with lecturers to make sure your needs are accommodated. So I think you will find it incredibly hard to challenge the decision on disability grounds if you did not (for whatever reason) have the paperwork in place before you submitted your work...

Were you given any feedback as to why you received that mark, or just the mark with no feedback?

I have medical proof and have sent to them multiple of times [they understood and rearranged a deadline for the assignments but I did not meet the deadlines due to my mental health was getting in the way and my mental health got worse to the extent where I was suicidal due to a personal problem...] I received feedback and the mark. The overall mark is 33/100 which seems quite unfair.
I uploaded the document through pages on my Mac and there was a lot of issues on uploading the document, it was detailed and I have explained it quite well. I feel like law is not for me...
Reply 6
Original post by Catherine1973
What extra support did you need to do the assignment? Can you watch the lectures or attend the tutorials okay? This would be a issue across all modules wouldn’t it rather than just one I’d have thought?

Watching the lectures is fine but when I did a foundation year, the disability advisor [different uni] explained to me that I should have support for my first year but never received any... I have medical proof and it was all online which made it harder because I couldn't do the assignments without help.
Original post by Anonymous
I have medical proof and have sent to them multiple of times [they understood and rearranged a deadline for the assignments but I did not meet the deadlines due to my mental health was getting in the way and my mental health got worse to the extent where I was suicidal due to a personal problem...] I received feedback and the mark. The overall mark is 33/100 which seems quite unfair.
I uploaded the document through pages on my Mac and there was a lot of issues on uploading the document, it was detailed and I have explained it quite well. I feel like law is not for me...

OK your initial post said that none of your conditions are diagnosed, hence my earlier post. Did you report that your mental health got worse and you were feeling suicidal before that revised deadline? And what did the feedback say exactly about your work? There must have been some 'justification' given by them in the feedback, for giving you 33?

If you had provided medical proof and had been accepted by your uni's disability services but they failed to act, you may well have a case for complaint if you can prove that you did everything expected of you. Ask your SU's advice centre (or whatever equivalent title) :yes:

So did the uploading of the documents have a result on the mark? What did the feedback say. Is it constructive and will you be able to move forward and take on board what they said.

I am a little confused because you said your disabilities were not diagnosed but also said you got extensions because of them Or was it just the mental health issues that were and diagnosed?

What would be most helpful is probably go and talk to your tutor or the person who marked this may be able to help you and discuss with you what you need to do to improve. Alternatively if you don’t think you are in a good place to carry on maybe you could retake this module at a later date. How did you do in your other modules was it just this one you did badly in?
Reply 9
Original post by Timetogetagrip
So did the uploading of the documents have a result on the mark? What did the feedback say. Is it constructive and will you be able to move forward and take on board what they said.

I am a little confused because you said your disabilities were not diagnosed but also said you got extensions because of them Or was it just the mental health issues that were and diagnosed?

What would be most helpful is probably go and talk to your tutor or the person who marked this may be able to help you and discuss with you what you need to do to improve. Alternatively if you don’t think you are in a good place to carry on maybe you could retake this module at a later date. How did you do in your other modules was it just this one you did badly in?

I have been diagnosed with a disability but I have not been diagnosed with mental health issues. I got 48% in my contract law, I did well in my first task but the other two tasks, it was difficult. I failed my public law exam in April which was understandable, I did not read the exam well and I did a resit in July 2021. I will receive the exam results in a few weeks time, the first assignment I did back in November 2021, I got a 40% - it was a question and answer assignment. It was really confusing and honestly, I did not like it. If it was an essay based assignment then it would have been different.
So do you think your disability, your hearing issue, affected this assignment and if so how? If you can show, that your disability I had a direct effect on the assignment and that the University did not help you then you may have cause for complaint.
(edited 2 years ago)
I have applied for DSA last year and I was supposed to have these sessions but I could not arrange them due to my old laptop broke [not an excuse] and I was feeling quite depressed....

Could you not have arranged for a phone call instead?
I know where you are coming from as I have a mental illness and it affected me a lot at university, however unless you are willing to help yourself in my personal view at least you wont get much luck trying to get help from others.
DSA is a mutual agreement with the uni that you are trying your best and the uni will help give you a more level playing field, it's not a free pass to not complete the work or take a back seat when you need to be proactive.
DSA will also give you a laptop if your old one is over a certain age. Rather than support sessions i was more thinking along the lines of a scribe or text to speak software if you are struggling to understand lectures.
Reply 12
if you google 'grounds for appeal' and your university's name you should be able to find the appeals process online. typically for mitigating circumstances you need evidence (doctor's note) and an exceptional reason why you were not able to contact the school around the time of the submission; then contact your personal tutor or another professor who you feel comfortable with and they can direct/advise you :hugs:

with your medical evidence for your mental health you can speak to the uni's disability department and they may be able to put systems in place to help you with your studies going forward. may i ask tho, do you think you're fit to study right now? that's another question your personal tutor may ask you as well.

Quick Reply

Latest