The Student Room Group

One thing you wished you did/knew before starting A levels?

Dear Current and Former Sixth formers, what's one thing you wished you did/knew before you started your A levels?

I'm about to start A levels in Maths, French, AS Further Maths and Economics and wouldn't mind any advice! XD
-start revising from the beginning/as you go along the year
-pick subjects that you enjoy, not because they seem like good subjects (I regret picking biology and it costed my grade)
Started doing things that I can add to my personal statement
Sign up for leadership opportunities at the start of the year (like head boy/girl, headteacher ambassador, student council)
Do university outreach programmes
Make friends in the same class as you
Take advantage of study periods you have, get all your homework done at school and revision at home
😭💀😂😂lmaooooo

Please study every single day and make notes on time, use all past papers. Never procrastinate. Don't listen to music while studying (rap music is ok but no pop or electronic, that will distract you)
I wish I'd participated more and asked lots of questions from the beginning as I only got the confidence to do this in year 13
Do what subjects you want to do and will enjoy. Don't be swayed by what your parents suggest
Also maths is really hard.
Original post by Emma:-)
Do what subjects you want to do and will enjoy. Don't be swayed by what your parents suggest

And ignore the idea of facilitating or soft subjects as high grades in soft subjects will look more impressive than average grades in what is thought of a facilitating subjects
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Aimee9675
Dear Current and Former Sixth formers, what's one thing you wished you did/knew before you started your A levels?

I'm about to start A levels in Maths, French, AS Further Maths and Economics and wouldn't mind any advice! XD

Economics is actually fun, people don’t really like it but a really good youtuber to watch is ‘Pajholden’ unbelievable teacher and has videos on everything for year 1 and helped me get an A!
I would definitely make sure that you have a good diet and a good outlet for letting off steam. A-Levels are a really stressful time and peak productivity stems not just from a worked mind but also a worked body! (:
Original post by SB1234567890
And ignore the idea of facilitating or soft subjects as high grades in soft subjects will look more impressive than average grades in what is thought of a facilitating subjects

I agree.
Subjects like maths, English lit etc are good and all that.
But there's also nothing wrong with subjects such as sociology, law, business studies etc.
Original post by Aimee9675

Getting organised from the start tbh, doing homework during study periods instead of just chilling cuz it meant all the homework would pile up at home during the evening for me to do.
I might be careful with AS further maths. Although the content isn't that big of a jump like maths to add maths in IGCSE, but the questions are really tricky sometimes. If you're confident in all your subjects, you should do fine though. AS is something you will live through. A2 is where the hard stuff comes in.
Original post by Emma:-)

Yes I absolutely second that. Pick what you enjoy so your not stuck hating life for 2 years
revise as you go along and defo dont build up revision for the days before an exam. use your free periods wisely. dont be afraid to ask your teachers for help on anything u dont get or need help on. for the first term of y12 make sure your options are what YOU want to do and no one else. if you want to change an option pick something ur good at naturally so that you'll have more time to focus on the ones ur not so good at

Quick Reply

Latest