The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by AK_017157
I can't express how much you've supported me in such little time. Thank you so much GTT and I feel a little more content and relieved now that you said my Lit grade won't really affect my future. Although I am not going to pick Literature for A-level as I don't really like it, I still may consider a remark because I feel like I should've got higher but if it doesn't affect my uni entry and sixth form and if there is no point, I won't really bother. I just wanted to ask, in the future if I want to get into a top university say Oxford or Cambridge and most of my grades are high, will they point out that one grade which was a 5 in literature? I'm scared any sixth form or university will look at this one grade and wonder why it isn't up to standard with the others (which hopefully I will get high grades in).

No problem 😊 As you said the rest of your grades are high, you should be fine. I remember a guy on youtube got into Cambridge or Oxford, I'm not sure which, with mostly As and A*s except he got a D in one subject. I don't know the name of the video but it's on YouTube. Maybe type my gcse grades that got me to Cambridge. Your A level results are the only ones that matters.
Hope all goes well!
(edited 2 years ago)
That's some great support for someone like me just going into year 11. Thank you so much for taking time out to give the upcoming year 11'rs useful advice!!!

Also, do you mind if I ask what revision methods you chose and if you created a daily timetable which you followed? Or you just set goals at the beginning of the day that you wanted completed that day and just got along and ticked off what you completed?

Hi, thank you! I'm happy to know that I managed to help somebody!

To try and answer half of your question: I just revised whenever I could with no set method. (This kind of just proves that all those fancy 'aesthetic' Tiktok or Youtube people that revised with '(x) method', for '(x) hours a day' and got similar grades to me are just tricking you into thinking you need to spend your whole life revising when, like I said, you seriously don't.).

As for the other half of the question: although I didn't use a set method, in my online learning I used to decorate my work a lot (sensibly) and that usually allowed me to get more invested into the work that I was doing - maybe you could do this in your workbook in school? (Get your teachers' permissions first though to be safe). I drew stuff like little leaves, suns, fancy looking headers/titles etc. If you end up back in online learning and decide to use this method, I used notability for this, the app that I mentioned. If this doesn't work for you, you can search up on Youtube/Tiktok which methods worked for others and try them yourself to see which is the most efficient for you personally.

I could never stick to a timetable, sometimes because I tend to procrastinate when I have stuff like that planned (hehe), however mostly because I'm a young carer and have to look after my two cousins (1 with severe Autism and 1 with Aspergers and Crohn's Disease) some of the time when I am not in school. Just revise whenever you get the chance. If you need motivation to revise, I suggest watching videos to do with 'results day 2019/20/21' or 'stationary haul for back to school' or things of the sort. Although they're kind of off topic, I used to find that they really got me into the mood to study and I will be continuing to use this method to motivate myself for when I study for my A-Levels.

I hope this helps you in some way. :biggrin:
English Literature ( igcse ) A*
English language (igcse) A*
History ( igcse ) 9
Geography ( Edexcel ) 9
Biology (AQA) 9
Chemistry (AQA) 9
DT ( igcse) 9
Maths (igcse) 9
Physics ( AQA) 8
French ( AQA ) 7

I’m content with my grades but feel like I deserved a 9 in physics as it is usually my best subject. For A levels I will study: maths , physics, geography and economics
okay so I'm planning on doing phys, bio and chem for a-levels and I'm hoping to study medicine:

6x9s in music (YAY!!), maths, Japanese, phys, bio and chem
5x8s in DT, history, French (bit disappointed), Eng lit (yay!) and lang

I guess I'm happy with my results? It's cool that I technically got all A*s xD
Honestly, I think all of those are fantastic grades. Don't be too worried about your maths grade though: Physics is basically all maths. If you got an A in physics your definitely great in Maths but just might've been unfortunate to not do well in the exam. Could be some other reason rather than knowledge seeming you got an A in physics which is fantastic. Physics is very difficult and that A confirms that you were capable of achieving a 7 or 8 in maths too so I'd say don't be too worried and fantastic results!!

aw thank you! You're so sweet :smile: I actually really dislike maths and I have never enjoyed it :frown: For A levels I'm doing chemistry which also has maths (and that is so annoying for me AHH). Have a good dayyy btw :smile:
Original post by annabrownbridge
Hi, thank you! I'm happy to know that I managed to help somebody!

To try and answer half of your question: I just revised whenever I could with no set method. (This kind of just proves that all those fancy 'aesthetic' Tiktok or Youtube people that revised with '(x) method', for '(x) hours a day' and got similar grades to me are just tricking you into thinking you need to spend your whole life revising when, like I said, you seriously don't.).

As for the other half of the question: although I didn't use a set method, in my online learning I used to decorate my work a lot (sensibly) and that usually allowed me to get more invested into the work that I was doing - maybe you could do this in your workbook in school? (Get your teachers' permissions first though to be safe). I drew stuff like little leaves, suns, fancy looking headers/titles etc. If you end up back in online learning and decide to use this method, I used notability for this, the app that I mentioned. If this doesn't work for you, you can search up on Youtube/Tiktok which methods worked for others and try them yourself to see which is the most efficient for you personally.

I could never stick to a timetable, sometimes because I tend to procrastinate when I have stuff like that planned (hehe), however mostly because I'm a young carer and have to look after my two cousins (1 with severe Autism and 1 with Aspergers and Crohn's Disease) some of the time when I am not in school. Just revise whenever you get the chance. If you need motivation to revise, I suggest watching videos to do with 'results day 2019/20/21' or 'stationary haul for back to school' or things of the sort. Although they're kind of off topic, I used to find that they really got me into the mood to study and I will be continuing to use this method to motivate myself for when I study for my A-Levels.

I hope this helps you in some way. :biggrin:

Damn... this is probably one of the best advice that I could get. The fact that your advice deviates from the expected "create notes, make a timetable, make flashcards" when someone like me cannot stop procrastinating is very very helpful. And woah! You're really capable if you're taking time to take care of your relatives too and end up with the highest grades. I was making a timetable earlier today using google calendar too and it took me a couple of hours: procrastinating than adding more things to the timetable and only got 1 day completed... I did say I would get a lot of revision in this summer done too but I find that I turn my pc on etc and get my revision guides out but just sit in my bedroom all day and end up being on my phone (been doing this for 4-5 weeks)...Therefore, I feel like making a timetable is a joke and just setting tasks daily and then ticking them off at the end of the day is much more helpful. Most people would say this isn't efficient because of the typical view that you must revise in that standard way and setting allocated time slots for revision but I'm glad not everyone is the same and you're completely right about the videos on Yt/tiktok which all advice to utilize the same method. I do feel like I'm more of a you like learner than the normal taking notes/making flashcards individual. This helps a lot since I was scared to pursue what I was leaning more towards and hearing that it worked out for someone else when they have bigger priorites is such a relief.

Means a lot, thank you.
Original post by GTT21
No problem 😊 As you said the rest of your grades are high, you should be fine. I remember a guy on youtube got into Cambridge or Oxford, I'm not sure which, with mostly As and A*s except he got a D in one subject. I don't know the name of the video but it's on YouTube. Maybe type my gcse grades that got me to Cambridge. Your A level results are the only ones that matters.
Hope all goes well!

Damn, thank you so much again GTT. I feel so relieved now after I've had my **** bottled up literally these past few days because of the grade 5 in lit... You've supported and motivated me so much these past few weeks! Take care and I hope you get into the sixth form that you desire!
So, in
Maths- Edexcel- 9
Science- Edexcel- 9-9 (combined)
English Language- AQA- 9
English Literature- AQA- 9
Geography- AQA- 9
Religious Education- WJEC- 8
Business- OCR- 8
Art- AQA- 4

The contrast with my art grade tho, but I am super proud.
Anyone feeling depressed please be aware that only the top people would actually list their grades here and some might be lying too
Original post by Lin Beifong
aw thank you! You're so sweet :smile: I actually really dislike maths and I have never enjoyed it :frown: For A levels I'm doing chemistry which also has maths (and that is so annoying for me AHH). Have a good dayyy btw :smile:

Haha, no problem! I wouldn't be complaining at all with those grades. Also I would consider maths unless you absolutely loathe it. You got such a fantastic grade in Physics which is basically maths as I said. My brother is studying mechanical engineering and doing rocket science/fluid mechanics in university. Both sound extremely scary but it's physics which is basically maths. Recommending you choose it because of your outstanding grade in physics. Maths and Physics can open a lot of oppurtunites, it's overwhelming but later on you'll look back and I promise you you'll appreciate it. Words from my brothers mouth. But then again, do absolutely what you love, I can only just give advice. You're the one to carve the stone and you should never pick something you don't like.

Take care!
Damn... this is probably one of the best advice that I could get. The fact that your advice deviates from the expected "create notes, make a timetable, make flashcards" when someone like me cannot stop procrastinating is very very helpful. And woah! You're really capable if you're taking time to take care of your relatives too and end up with the highest grades. I was making a timetable earlier today using google calendar too and it took me a couple of hours: procrastinating than adding more things to the timetable and only got 1 day completed... I did say I would get a lot of revision in this summer done too but I find that I turn my pc on etc and get my revision guides out but just sit in my bedroom all day and end up being on my phone (been doing this for 4-5 weeks)...Therefore, I feel like making a timetable is a joke and just setting tasks daily and then ticking them off at the end of the day is much more helpful. Most people would say this isn't efficient because of the typical view that you must revise in that standard way and setting allocated time slots for revision but I'm glad not everyone is the same and you're completely right about the videos on Yt/tiktok which all advice to utilize the same method. I do feel like I'm more of a you like learner than the normal taking notes/making flashcards individual. This helps a lot since I was scared to pursue what I was leaning more towards and hearing that it worked out for someone else when they have bigger priorites is such a relief.

Means a lot, thank you.

Hi!

It makes me so happy that I was able to help you and also relate to you.

As you know from an earlier post in the thread, I would like to go on to become a teacher and hearing this feedback from you about some advice that I gave has really given me a confidence boost in my ability and makes me feel like I AM in fact cut out to be a teacher.

This also means a lot to me, so thank YOU too!
Original post by NemesisVIG
Anyone feeling depressed please be aware that only the top people would actually list their grades here and some might be lying too

100% but they should be credited and appreciated for their immeasurable hard work or it just might be that the high grade students are using TSR hence their grades because of the fantastic resources on here. Then again, everyone who doesn't feel content with their grade just know personally I feel like not doing as well as you wanted can push you more for the future. Doing bad now is the best thing that could happen. It should push you to do more and eventually you will look back and know that this low grade was the reason for your success. Irony works in great ways.
Reply 52
Physics [AQA]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target 7 / Achieved 6
Chemistry [AQA]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target 7 / Achieved 7
Biology [AQA]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target 7 / Achieved 7
Maths [EDEXCEL]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target 6 / Achieved 7
English Lit [AQA]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target 9 / Achieved 8
Spanish [AQA]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target 7 / Achieved 8
Religious Education[EDEXCEL]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target 7 / Achieved 9
Computer Science [OCR]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target 9 / Achieved 9
English Lang [AQA]: Predicted 7 / Personal Target: 9 / Achieved 9
Music [BTEC]: Predicted Merit / Personal Target: Distinction / Achieved Distinction*

What are your future plans?
Taking Media, Music, English Lang+Lit and Computer Science at college :smile:

What grades do you need (if applicable)?
Only 5s, so pretty happy!

Comments/Reflection
I was overwhelmed by the 8s/9s for a start! Felt a teeny bit disappointed by Physics, but I don't need it so it's not a huge deal. Maths was also a huge deal because I struggled so much throughout exams so it felt really gratifying to get the equivalent of an A! Blown away by Music and Spanish too - honestly don't think my mind has comprehended that these are my actual results yet?

How do you feel about your results? What advice would you give to someone in Year 10 or just starting GCSEs?

I feel disappointed by Physics but amazed by the rest! Overall, I would tell a Yr10 to obviously revise, but don't put too much pressure on yourself with schedules etc. Revision songs got me through Bio and Chem, (Singingforscience is a lifesaver!). Remember to go out and enjoy Yr11 still, it only happens once n year groups like ours really lost out because of Covid - I didn't even get a prom! :')
Original post by annabrownbridge
Hi!

It makes me so happy that I was able to help you and also relate to you.

As you know from an earlier post in the thread, I would like to go on to become a teacher and hearing this feedback from you about some advice that I gave has really given me a confidence boost in my ability and makes me feel like I AM in fact cut out to be a teacher.

This also means a lot to me, so thank YOU too!

Damn, if only my current teachers had your traits. You would be a great teacher honestly. There's so many lazy teachers but even the ones that try can only help so much. Just a tip if you do pursue a career in teaching. Since we've all experienced school life, we all know that most teachers don't give other support other than what they have been told to give: what I mean is that they teach you what they have been told to teach rather than a minority which do it for a passion and want you to do the best but also give additional advice. The main thing secondary school teachers lack (which is pretty shocking as you suddenly have a big transition from year 10 to 11) is giving you tips on how to revise. This should be the number 1 thing in school that should be taught to students. I myself am on this website seeking support, fortunate to gather advice from people like you because my teachers are insufficient in helping me in independant learning. I know many of my fellow classmates who are also struggling/don't know how to revise. It's a joke that this isn't taught. Anyways, by your overall mindest you would be a really enthusiastic and passionate teacher and go for it! I'd love a teacher that would give support rather than giving very brief and general tips on learning.
yeah I definetely feel like I should have got higher but I'm afraid that my grade might go lower if I go through the remark process which would be shocking. What do you recommend I do?

Honestly your grade cant get lower, and if you know you deserve a higher mark then it's worth it
Reply 55
Damn, thank you so much again GTT. I feel so relieved now after I've had my **** bottled up literally these past few days because of the grade 5 in lit... You've supported and motivated me so much these past few weeks! Take care and I hope you get into the sixth form that you desire!

Thank you! I hope you get into oxbridge too!
I was happy with my results!
Biology (AQA): 7
Chemistry (AQA): 6
Drama (Eduqas): 8
English Language (Edexcel): 9
English Literature (Edexcel): 9
History (AQA): 9
Maths (Edexcel): 8
Physics (AQA): 8
Religious Studies (AQA): 9
Spanish (Edexcel): 8

Since I am aiming to do a History degree in the future, I am pleased I got good scores for History and other Humanities subjects. These GCSEs give me a bit more confidence for when I start my A levels :smile:

No matter the grades, I want to congratulate all of my fellow Year 11s for making it through this tough year. We've had to cope with obstacles of lockdown and online learning once again this year, so y'all deserve praise for getting through that. Much love
Original post by sunny693
I was happy with my results!
Biology (AQA): 7
Chemistry (AQA): 6
Drama (Eduqas): 8
English Language (Edexcel): 9
English Literature (Edexcel): 9
History (AQA): 9
Maths (Edexcel): 8
Physics (AQA): 8
Religious Studies (AQA): 9
Spanish (Edexcel): 8

Since I am aiming to do a History degree in the future, I am pleased I got good scores for History and other Humanities subjects. These GCSEs give me a bit more confidence for when I start my A levels :smile:

No matter the grades, I want to congratulate all of my fellow Year 11s for making it through this tough year. We've had to cope with obstacles of lockdown and online learning once again this year, so y'all deserve praise for getting through that. Much love

Oh wow! You're GCSEs look fabulous and I could never get a 9 in english lit, lang and history soo well done!!
Original post by melonlord.xx
Oh wow! You're GCSEs look fabulous and I could never get a 9 in english lit, lang and history soo well done!!

ayyy thank you so much, I really appreciate the kind words :biggrin: and you too, you did amazingly!!
Reply 59
Well done everyone, I'm so happy for you all! :smile:

Unfortunately I got downgraded. I was predicted all 9's and was working at 8's/9's all year so I'm not sure what happened. I am really disappointed as I put my absolute life and soul into my exams not just this year but my entire education. It's frustrating to know there's not much more I can do right now, but I'm definitely appealing.:frown:

Here are my grades:
English Language - 8 (actually my least fave subject?!)
English Literature - 7
French - 7
Music - 7
Maths - 6 (taking it at A level)
Triple Science Higher-
Biology - 6 (taking it at A level)
Chemistry - 6 (taking it at A level)
Physics - 6
Drama - 6

Latest