The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy personal statement

Hiya I am trying to write my personal statement to apply for physiotherapy at university but I am really struggling, I take biology, pe and psychology as my 3 A levels and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips that could help me out, thank you
Reply 1
Im probably gonna apply for physio too, can you tell if (and how) you got work experience?
Original post by skyewitte
Hiya I am trying to write my personal statement to apply for physiotherapy at university but I am really struggling, I take biology, pe and psychology as my 3 A levels and I was just wondering if anyone has any tips that could help me out, thank you

Hey skyewitte,

Writing a personal statement can be tough, I remember spending a tonne of hours on mine when I was applying to university. There's no set format, but some good areas to cover are:

1. Why do you want to study the subject? Does it link into future career aspirations? Do you have a personal link? Some past experience? Do you have a personal interest?
2. What are you currently studying & how does it relate? For you, you could talk about the areas of Biology and PE that you've studied and how this may have influenced your decision to want to study Physiotherapy at university.
3. What do you do outside of related studies that would make you a great student? This is a great section to cover any extra curricular activities, clubs, or anything at all that makes you stand out from the crowd. What makes you different from all the other students that will make the person reading your personal statement remember you?

You don't have to cover all of these sections, but I found that it worked well as a rough guide.

I've just checked our website, and I've found this really helpful article produced by us on how to write a personal statement. This isn't a Portsmouth-specific personal statement, so should be super helpful irrespective of which universities you apply to. Hope this helps: https://www.port.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying-for-undergraduate-courses/writing-your-personal-statement

Best of luck!

~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep :h:
Focus on skills
Reply 5
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey skyewitte,

Writing a personal statement can be tough, I remember spending a tonne of hours on mine when I was applying to university. There's no set format, but some good areas to cover are:

1. Why do you want to study the subject? Does it link into future career aspirations? Do you have a personal link? Some past experience? Do you have a personal interest?
2. What are you currently studying & how does it relate? For you, you could talk about the areas of Biology and PE that you've studied and how this may have influenced your decision to want to study Physiotherapy at university.
3. What do you do outside of related studies that would make you a great student? This is a great section to cover any extra curricular activities, clubs, or anything at all that makes you stand out from the crowd. What makes you different from all the other students that will make the person reading your personal statement remember you?

You don't have to cover all of these sections, but I found that it worked well as a rough guide.

I've just checked our website, and I've found this really helpful article produced by us on how to write a personal statement. This isn't a Portsmouth-specific personal statement, so should be super helpful irrespective of which universities you apply to. Hope this helps: https://www.port.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying-for-undergraduate-courses/writing-your-personal-statement

Best of luck!

~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep :h:

Thank you so much!!
Reply 6

Cheers!
Original post by j2who
Im probably gonna apply for physio too, can you tell if (and how) you got work experience?

I haven’t got any work experience unfortunately :frown: I really wanted to get some but honestly I cannot find any anywhere it’s such a pain, lucky they don’t care as much about it this year because of covid so I’m hoping it’ll be alright without it👍🏼
Reply 7
Sorry to ask again but I was just wondering if it’s possible to link Psychology to physiotherapy at all?
Sorry to ask again but I was just wondering if it’s possible to link Psychology to physiotherapy at all?

If you're talking about your A Levels, you don't need to talk about them at all
Reply 9
Original post by Interrobang
If you're talking about your A Levels, you don't need to talk about them at all

Really ?
Really ?

Yes - the admissions tutors will know what they are looking for in terms of a levels/what skills etc you can get from them, so it's a waste of space
Reply 11
Original post by Interrobang
Yes - the admissions tutors will know what they are looking for in terms of a levels/what skills etc you can get from them, so it's a waste of space

Okay thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending