The Student Room Group

Which universities are best for physiotherapy

I am interested in studying physio and have done some research and i know which unis are rated top in the charts but i am curious as to what current students think. I am interested in applying to birmingham, nottingham, southampton, and then maybe cardiff or liverpool or chichester or plymouth or oxford brookes. Just wanted to know from current students or applicants why they chose to go to any of these unis and what they are like and also the facilities/course/city/campus etc as i really like the look of birmingham course and that it is 4 years but i also come from a small town so not sure if will suit me big city
I believe most accredited courses are run in line with NHS requirements and include placements within the NHS, as such I don’t think the university is a hugely important factor with regards to jobs after graduating.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
This is a useful guide re: student views:
www.theuniguide.co.uk

Hope it helps…
My daughter applied to UWE UEA Nottingham Suffolk and Worcester
She has 4 offers Nottingham turned her down on her personal statement not grades (not sure why when the rest were impressed she even had work experience in hospital)anyway she really likes UWE as all the health professionals are in one campus living and studying most of the modules are the same in all uni it how they teach block learning or all together and if placement start in y1 or 2
I think you have to get feel for the uni,how far accommodation is from your study and train station as you will be travelling to placement catered is not much good as you won’t be there if on 1st year placement these are all thing we looked at hope it’s helpful
Ps Nottingham self catering accommodation was 20 min away from where you study that’s a long walk when raining and late
Good luck

Original post by Milliewest2
I am interested in studying physio and have done some research and i know which unis are rated top in the charts but i am curious as to what current students think. I am interested in applying to birmingham, nottingham, southampton, and then maybe cardiff or liverpool or chichester or plymouth or oxford brookes. Just wanted to know from current students or applicants why they chose to go to any of these unis and what they are like and also the facilities/course/city/campus etc as i really like the look of birmingham course and that it is 4 years but i also come from a small town so not sure if will suit me big city
Original post by Mumof student
My daughter applied to UWE UEA Nottingham Suffolk and Worcester
She has 4 offers Nottingham turned her down on her personal statement not grades (not sure why when the rest were impressed she even had work experience in hospital)anyway she really likes UWE as all the health professionals are in one campus living and studying most of the modules are the same in all uni it how they teach block learning or all together and if placement start in y1 or 2
I think you have to get feel for the uni,how far accommodation is from your study and train station as you will be travelling to placement catered is not much good as you won’t be there if on 1st year placement these are all thing we looked at hope it’s helpful
Ps Nottingham self catering accommodation was 20 min away from where you study that’s a long walk when raining and late
Good luck

Hi @Mumof student :h:

Congratulations to your daughter on all of her offers - that is amazing! Just wanted to pop by and say if your daughter or yourself have any questions about UEA or being a student in Norwich then do feel free to let me know! Hope she has a wonderful time wherever she ends up studying.

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies
Reply 5

Hey, Physiotherapy applicant here with my offers for September 2023. My firm is Southampton and my insurance is UWE. I definitely recommend both of these however I chose Southampton over UWE as it was the uni that made me fall in love with the course, it has higher grade requirements (mine being ABB + A in my EPQ or AAB) compared to UWE at 128 UCAS points.
Physiotherapy as a whole is very competitive with soton being one of the most competitive physio courses as it has less than 40 students per cohort. This is another reason I chose it over UWE, I have people I know in UWE that love it but due to the larger cohort sizes they have difficulty placing students and some have to do research placements. Whereas the small cohort of soton means you’re going to get clinical placements and it was really appealing to me as well as getting over 1200 hours of placement.
Both soton and uwe gave very similar feelings in the terms of interviews, both were looking more at you as a person and they give interview invites based on personal statement as long as you meet the minimum grade requirements. I’m definitely bias for soton as it is my firm choice but it is number 2 for physio and number 1 for BSc physio.
UWE is definitely more inclusive and they are awesome for that, I always suggest them to mature students. And they are more forgiving with grades as they aim to look for the person rather than just the grades which I think is why it is a well loved uni for physio.
Look at the course modules each uni offer and like med apply strategically as it is a very competitive course. Let me know if you want to know anything about Southampton or UWE for physiotherapy or the universities in general. I’m also coming from the countryside so understand how daunting cities can be. Best of luck 🫶

Hi there,

Great to hear that you are considering apply to Liverpool! If you have any questions about the University of Liverpool, or the city itself then feel free to ask

Malachy - University of Liverpool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending