The Student Room Group

How to write my physiotherapy personal statement

I feel like everyone just writes about their love of sports and their injuries but I have neither. I am interested in physiotherapy because I enjoy seeing patients progress in their recovery and I like seeing how muscles are affected by severe trauma. How can I convey this?
Original post by wanttoknow123
I feel like everyone just writes about their love of sports and their injuries but I have neither. I am interested in physiotherapy because I enjoy seeing patients progress in their recovery and I like seeing how muscles are affected by severe trauma. How can I convey this?

talk about how you know that physiotherapists provide patient-centred care and work with and treat the patient throughout their healthcare journey
you should talk about how you know this through work experience, volunteering or research into the career
an easy thing to do is link it to your a level biology where you learnt about muscles and the way the work blah blah blah

i hope that's helpful to get you started!
Reply 2

actually this is exactly what they want. Physio courses rarely give interviews to people that just discuss their sport as MSK/sport is a very small part of being a physio. Plus the courses are run by the nhs therefore are looking for people wanting to work for the nhs to help people.
My statement didn’t talk about how sport made me want to do physio rather that it introduced me to the career and with further research I discovered specialties that interested me such as neuro, cardioresp and paeds. Delve into the experience or reading you’ve done around physio, I work part time as a care assistant and offered to help or observe the physios that came in where possible. Talk about how seeing them work makes you feel which is obvious in how you already want to do physio to see the improvement in your patients.
Reply 3
Original post by akanksha.sx
talk about how you know that physiotherapists provide patient-centred care and work with and treat the patient throughout their healthcare journey
you should talk about how you know this through work experience, volunteering or research into the career
an easy thing to do is link it to your a level biology where you learnt about muscles and the way the work blah blah blah

Yes definitely try and incorporate how your a level subjects can convey into physio and uni life. Biology is definitely the easiest to relate, but you can definitely make any subject related.
Reply 4
Original post by Feeb_05
actually this is exactly what they want. Physio courses rarely give interviews to people that just discuss their sport as MSK/sport is a very small part of being a physio. Plus the courses are run by the nhs therefore are looking for people wanting to work for the nhs to help people.
My statement didn’t talk about how sport made me want to do physio rather that it introduced me to the career and with further research I discovered specialties that interested me such as neuro, cardioresp and paeds. Delve into the experience or reading you’ve done around physio, I work part time as a care assistant and offered to help or observe the physios that came in where possible. Talk about how seeing them work makes you feel which is obvious in how you already want to do physio to see the improvement in your patients.

Thank you so much! If you don;t mind me asking what grades you got at a level and what uni you ended up at?
Reply 5

thank you so much! Do you study physio?
There's no doubt that writing a Physiotherapy P.S requires more dedication. I'll prepare an outline and post it here for you. I hope it helps. Thanks.

I. Introduction
A. Engaging opening sentence or anecdote
B. Explanation of your interest in physiotherapy
C. Thesis statement outlining your goals and motivation for pursuing a career in physiotherapy

II. Personal Background and Inspiration
A. Description of any personal experiences with physiotherapy
B. Influential individuals or events that sparked your interest
C. How these experiences shaped your desire to become a physiotherapist

III. Academic Background
A. Overview of relevant educational achievements and qualifications
B. Discussion of coursework or research projects related to physiotherapy
C. Any specialized areas of interest within the field

IV. Clinical Experience and Volunteering
A. Description of any hands-on experience in a clinical setting
B. Volunteer work in healthcare or physiotherapy-related organizations
C. Reflection on the skills and knowledge gained from these experiences

V. Key Skills and Attributes
A. Overview of the essential qualities of a physiotherapist
B. Examples of how you have developed and demonstrated these qualities
C. Discussion of your interpersonal and communication skills

VI. Professional Goals
A. Your short-term and long-term goals in the field of physiotherapy
B. How you plan to contribute to the advancement of the profession
C. Any specific areas of specialization or research interests you wish to pursue

VII. Conclusion
A. Recap of your passion for physiotherapy and desire to make a difference
B. Emphasize your readiness and commitment to succeed in the field
C. Closing statement that leaves a lasting impression on the reader
Reply 7
Original post by James Freelancer
There's no doubt that writing a Physiotherapy P.S requires more dedication. I'll prepare an outline and post it here for you. I hope it helps. Thanks.

I. Introduction
A. Engaging opening sentence or anecdote
B. Explanation of your interest in physiotherapy
C. Thesis statement outlining your goals and motivation for pursuing a career in physiotherapy

II. Personal Background and Inspiration
A. Description of any personal experiences with physiotherapy
B. Influential individuals or events that sparked your interest
C. How these experiences shaped your desire to become a physiotherapist

III. Academic Background
A. Overview of relevant educational achievements and qualifications
B. Discussion of coursework or research projects related to physiotherapy
C. Any specialized areas of interest within the field

IV. Clinical Experience and Volunteering
A. Description of any hands-on experience in a clinical setting
B. Volunteer work in healthcare or physiotherapy-related organizations
C. Reflection on the skills and knowledge gained from these experiences

V. Key Skills and Attributes
A. Overview of the essential qualities of a physiotherapist
B. Examples of how you have developed and demonstrated these qualities
C. Discussion of your interpersonal and communication skills

VI. Professional Goals
A. Your short-term and long-term goals in the field of physiotherapy
B. How you plan to contribute to the advancement of the profession
C. Any specific areas of specialization or research interests you wish to pursue

VII. Conclusion
A. Recap of your passion for physiotherapy and desire to make a difference
B. Emphasize your readiness and commitment to succeed in the field
C. Closing statement that leaves a lasting impression on the reader

This is extremely helpful. It's about fitting all of that into one a4 page that will be the tricky bit. I hope with your advice I can write a captivating personal statement
This is extremely helpful. It's about fitting all of that into one a4 page that will be the tricky bit. I hope with your advice I can write a captivating personal statement

I'm glad that you found it helpful. Best of luck mate!
Reply 9
Thank you so much! If you don;t mind me asking what grades you got at a level and what uni you ended up at?

Hey, I’ve just finished exams and I took bio chem and history and an epq. My predicted grades are ABAA respectively with uni of Southampton being my firm. I’m happy to update you once I achieve my results and uni acceptance on results day. Feel free to message any time for more info on the course or interview.
thank you so much! Do you study physio?

i will be in september x
Original post by Feeb_05
Hey, I’ve just finished exams and I took bio chem and history and an epq. My predicted grades are ABAA respectively with uni of Southampton being my firm. I’m happy to update you once I achieve my results and uni acceptance on results day. Feel free to message any time for more info on the course or interview.

good luck! I liked southampton as a uni, it has a great campus. How did you prepare for interviews because I know they ask questions like why this uni and why this course but what else do they ask? Also do you know what mmi is
i will be in september x

ah that's great! If you don't mind me asking what predicted/alevel grades did you get and what uni's you shortlisted?
ah that's great! If you don't mind me asking what predicted/alevel grades did you get and what uni's you shortlisted?

I'm predicted A*AA for psych, chem and bio, and if all goes well, I'll be going to East Anglia in September x
Reply 14
good luck! I liked southampton as a uni, it has a great campus. How did you prepare for interviews because I know they ask questions like why this uni and why this course but what else do they ask? Also do you know what mmi is

Yes of course always prepare for those standard why this uni and why this course. I am unable to say the exact questions and everyone will be asked a couple ones that are completely different those being scenario questions so brush up on the 6 C’s and NHS values as those ethics will help a lot when answering scenario based questions, and many interviewers love to watch your ethical deliberations when working things out so don’t be afraid to think out loud as it shows you put real thought and care about doing the right thing. Also try to have answers for questions such as sum yourself up in a certain amount of words, or how would your friends describe you but also some negatives about yourself and things you want to work on improving to become your best self.
MMI’s are multiple mini interviews. Non of my interviews were of that type but I’m aware it’s a very short time with each interviewer in which they will all ask different things and answers are usually fast response and you are unable to establish a conversation to better express yourself, I do not thrive in these situations so aimed more to apply to unis without them. Some MMI interviews will also have group sections so prepare to work with other people and aim to try and engage as much as you can without leading the conversation too much, you want to make sure everyone gets time to speak whilst also making sure you are being heard.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending