The Student Room Group

Graduating from MSC Computer Science online University of York

Hi all,

anyone graduated from online MSc in Comp Sci? what was your experience?
Is there an option to graduate on campus?

Please share...

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I also would like to hear comments / opinions about this course.
As I am almost about to sign up on the Bath one due to lack of info on this York one.
Reply 2
I can't find a reference to when the course was launched, but I don't think it's been running quite long enough to have graduates (I haven't seen posts from anyone on here who's done more than half of it). There's a small sub-reddit on the course here: https://www.reddit.com/r/YorkOnlineMScCS/ and opinions on this larger thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5801788. The reviews range from "bad" to "average" and I can't recall reading a review that was overall positive. The people who rated it "average" mostly seemed to be interested in adding a line to their CV, for which it serves a purpose (if you make it to the end - I've heard drop out rates are high).

After researching all the options, I chose the Bath course (https://online.bath.ac.uk/online-courses/msc-computer-science) as the reviews I've seen for it (admittedly not many) were all positive and I decided it was worth the extra £5000. I haven't started yet so can only offer first impressions, but the admissions team at Bath have been great throughout the process, whereas York didn't seem to have any interest in recruiting me as a student (no response to my initial request for information and a phone call about a month after my second attempt, by which time I'd already accepted a place at Bath). Bath took less than a week to come back to me with an unconditional offer after I submitted my application (which is really impressive given that the Bath course requires a personal statement). There's plenty of information about the course via online webinars here (sign-in required): https://www.gotostage.com/channel/university-of-bath-online-webinars. Two other good indicators that Bath care about their course and online students are that they changed the cryptography module to a cybersecurity one last month based on student feedback, and they're also going to release another webinar on 6 Mar to cover the first two modules in more detail. Also, the Bath course will involve an optional graduation ceremony on campus.
Reply 3
Original post by vox
I can't find a reference to when the course was launched, but I don't think it's been running quite long enough to have graduates (I haven't seen posts from anyone on here who's done more than half of it). There's a small sub-reddit on the course here: https://www.reddit.com/r/YorkOnlineMScCS/ and opinions on this larger thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5801788. The reviews range from "bad" to "average" and I can't recall reading a review that was overall positive. The people who rated it "average" mostly seemed to be interested in adding a line to their CV, for which it serves a purpose (if you make it to the end - I've heard drop out rates are high).

After researching all the options, I chose the Bath course (https://online.bath.ac.uk/online-courses/msc-computer-science) as the reviews I've seen for it (admittedly not many) were all positive and I decided it was worth the extra £5000. I haven't started yet so can only offer first impressions, but the admissions team at Bath have been great throughout the process, whereas York didn't seem to have any interest in recruiting me as a student (no response to my initial request for information and a phone call about a month after my second attempt, by which time I'd already accepted a place at Bath). Bath took less than a week to come back to me with an unconditional offer after I submitted my application (which is really impressive given that the Bath course requires a personal statement). There's plenty of information about the course via online webinars here (sign-in required): https://www.gotostage.com/channel/university-of-bath-online-webinars. Two other good indicators that Bath care about their course and online students are that they changed the cryptography module to a cybersecurity one last month based on student feedback, and they're also going to release another webinar on 6 Mar to cover the first two modules in more detail. Also, the Bath course will involve an optional graduation ceremony on campus.

York course has been running 2 years so far.

I got same impression. Bath chased me straight away. York took 2 weeks to call me.
Original post by tarazisa
Hi all,

anyone graduated from online MSc in Comp Sci? what was your experience?
Is there an option to graduate on campus?

Please share...

Thanks

Hi there,

I've spoken to the Graduation team about whether online students can graduate on campus and this was their response:

"Students on our online programmes will be invited to attend graduation on campus in the same way as any other student. The only thing that might be worth flagging is that if they are from overseas, they will need to arrange a visa to do so. They can get help and advice about this from the Student Hub."

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions about York, please let me know.

Steph :h:
Reply 5
awesome thanks Steph!
Original post by tarazisa
awesome thanks Steph!

Happy to help! :h:
Could someone explain how graduations would work given there are multiple cohorts for one academic year
Reply 8
Original post by PrincesJasmine98
Could someone explain how graduations would work given there are multiple cohorts for one academic year

Presumably just graduate at the nearest summer/winter graduation. It's not like graduation ceremonies always occur as soon as on-campus students complete their degrees either :smile:
If you haven't learned a language before then don't do it! This was my case and you end up spending loads of time looking up why different syntax is used in different lines of codes. I was spending 8 hours a day just trying to keep up even though the university told me that with zero experience I could do it in around 3 hours a day. I am now doing a bootcamp in Python and am more than halfway through the course and learning it just fine. These bootcamps will give you a way better set of skills that will actually get you employed, unlike York's Masters in Computer Science which is essentially theory based. Their 8 day try out period is a joke as anybody can do the first 10 days with little to no problems. So more money for York University! I will say that the tutor himself was great and very responsive Monday to Friday but there is no tutor available to help you on weekends. So, if you get stuck Friday night and need to know one particular thing before you can move on, you very well could end up getting stuck until Monday. If you want to actually get a job in an industry that fortunately values skills over certificates, then do the very affordable bootcamps. This statement is backed up by loads of people on the internet. STAY AWAY FROM YORK! Get real skills over the same time period and you could literally be much more employable than somebody who will have just finished the masters in the same amount of time.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by NDR008
Yeah I also would like to hear comments / opinions about this course.
As I am almost about to sign up on the Bath one due to lack of info on this York one.

If you haven't learned a language before then don't do the University if York's Masters in Computer Science! You end up spending loads of time looking up why different syntax is used in different lines of codes. I was spending 8 hours a day just trying to keep up even though the university told me that with zero experience I could do it in around 3 hours a day. I am now doing a bootcamp in Python and am more than halfway through the course and learning it just fine even though they tried to make it out that it was my learning ability that kept me from keeping up.

These bootcamps will give you a way better set of skills that will actually get you employed, unlike York's Masters in Computer Science which is essentially theory based. Their 8 day try out period is also a joke as anybody can do the first 10 days with little to no problems. So more money for York University!

I will say that the tutor himself was great and very responsive Monday to Friday but there is no tutor available to help you on weekends. So, if you get stuck Friday night and need to know one particular thing before you can move on, you very well could end up getting stuck until Monday.

If you want to actually get a job in an industry that fortunately values skills over certificates, then do the very affordable bootcamps. This statement is backed up by loads of people on the internet. STAY AWAY FROM YORK! Get real skills over the same time period and you could literally be much more employable than somebody who will have just finished the masters in the same amount of time.
Reply 11
Original post by andyhewitt12
....do the very affordable bootcamps....

can you please elaborate on the "very affordable" bit?
university of Manchester Bootcamp costs £10,000, about a couple of thousand pounds more that the York MSc, for a 6 months course
Reply 12
Original post by andyhewitt12
If you haven't learned a language before then don't do the University if York's Masters in Computer Science! You end up spending loads of time looking up why different syntax is used in different lines of codes. I was spending 8 hours a day just trying to keep up even though the university told me that with zero experience I could do it in around 3 hours a day. I am now doing a bootcamp in Python and am more than halfway through the course and learning it just fine even though they tried to make it out that it was my learning ability that kept me from keeping up.

These bootcamps will give you a way better set of skills that will actually get you employed, unlike York's Masters in Computer Science which is essentially theory based. Their 8 day try out period is also a joke as anybody can do the first 10 days with little to no problems. So more money for York University!

I will say that the tutor himself was great and very responsive Monday to Friday but there is no tutor available to help you on weekends. So, if you get stuck Friday night and need to know one particular thing before you can move on, you very well could end up getting stuck until Monday.

If you want to actually get a job in an industry that fortunately values skills over certificates, then do the very affordable bootcamps. This statement is backed up by loads of people on the internet. STAY AWAY FROM YORK! Get real skills over the same time period and you could literally be much more employable than somebody who will have just finished the masters in the same amount of time.

sounds like Bath is same tbh.
Reply 13
I finished the program (not officially graduated yet).
All the negative feedback I read is about it being too heavy on theory. But that is what MSc is supported to be.
I think the problem is that it is marketed as a conversion course and people have wrong expectations.
In my opinion one should have solid background/ experience in some field of CS to enjoy or benefit from this course. It was very intense for me , and I have around 6 years of related practical experience.
I enjoyed it personally and learned a lot. I got promoted to engineering lead role because I became a much more well rounded and complete software engineer. I understand how all branches (infrastructure, networking, backend, frontend, security) work together, can design systems and coordinate work between departments.
What I did not like is that it was more data science focused, did not have compilers theory, crypto (personal preference), 8 months focused on research related stuff (but if you have an interesting topic, that might be good for you). Outdated technology from time to time (python tkinter for ui development). My favorite modules were Algorithms and Data structures and AI (mostly the algorithms part haha). Overall its quite standard CS Masters program I would say.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by givehug
All the negative feedback I read is about it being too heavy on theory. But that is what MSc is supported to be.
I think the problem is that it is marketed as a conversion course and people have wrong expectations.
In my opinion one should have solid background/ experience in some field of CS to enjoy or benefit from this course. It was very intense for me , and I have around 6 years of related practical experience.
I enjoyed it personally and learned a lot. I got promoted to engineering lead role because I became a much more well rounded and complete software engineer. I understand how all branches (infrastructure, networking, backend, frontend, security) work together, can design systems and coordinate work between departments.
What I did not like is that it was more data science focused, did not have compilers theory, crypto (personal preference), 8 months focused on research related stuff (but if you have an interesting topic, that might be good for you). Outdated technology from time to time (python tkinter for ui development). My favorite modules were Algorithms and Data structures and AI (mostly the algorithms part haha). Overall its quite standard CS Masters program I would say.

shill
Reply 15
Original post by mun1919
shill

:smile: I'm not agitating you to enrol into MS degree, I got my first coding job 2 week after doing some online courses.
And you can easily google my profiles online by my nickname, that will lead you to my linkedin.
Reply 16
Original post by givehug

Thanks for taking the time to post this, honestly I was wondering whether the bad reviews were just about people finding it difficult, sounds like it was worth it for you though which is great!
Hi, would it be possible to have any information regarding the irp and if you have any documents for this. i wanted to get sttarted on this earlier ?
Reply 18
University of York has been reviewed by the OIAHE and is compensating students for the poor quality in the following courses:

MSc Computer Science Online
MSc Computer Science and Cyber Security Online
MSc Computer Science and Data Analytics Online

Key failings highlighted by the OIAHE in Feb 2022

4.1 The University decided not to uphold the Group’s complaint about the
marketing of the programme. Our view is that some aspects of the marketing
information provided to applicants were not clear and unambiguous.
4.2 We think that the staffing levels on the programme did not meet the reasonable
expectations of the students. The University did not properly investigate the
Group’s concerns about the impact of staffing levels on the quality of the
student experience. We think that staffing pressures affected the students’
experience.
4.3 The Group raised concerns about the quality of modules on the programme.
The University has acknowledged these issues and has taken (or is taking)
steps to address these issues. However, we are not satisfied that the
University’s complaint process acknowledged the cumulative impact of these
issues on the overall student experience.
4.4 There was inadequate detail about assessment processes in the programme
handbook. We think that the University’s complaints process did not address
the students’ concern about the lack of clarity about assessments.
4.5 There were unreasonable delays in the University’s handling of the Group
complaint
Reply 19
How did you guys do that? We're literally fighting about the same things over and over (at Bath).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending