The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham university went downhill

I chose Durham university instead of Manchester because it was fifth. I also got an offer from Manchester but rejected it. I want to know why would Durham univeristy go down to thr ninth position. What went wrong? Does this mean I would have excelled more in Manchester?

Scroll to see replies

League table rankings change every year. Sometimes unis go up, sometimes they go down. One of many reasons they are not hugely useful except in fairly general terms.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
League table rankings change every year. Sometimes unis go up, sometimes they go down. One of many reasons they are not hugely useful except in fairly general terms.

Sorry, I did not understand the third sentence. Could you clarify it please. Does this mean I have more opportunited to excel in Manchester rather than Durham??
Original post by samuelaccio
I chose Durham university instead of Manchester because it was fifth. I also got an offer from Manchester but rejected it. I want to know why would Durham univeristy go down to thr ninth position. What went wrong? Does this mean I would have excelled more in Manchester?

Durham is an excellent uni
“Audible Sigh” this is such a silly way of valuing a university.

You would excel if you have ambition & work hard, not because university ranking.
Reply 5
Why do you keep asking if you would "excel" at manchester? How does minor variations in rankings affect your personal ability to excel. I could go on, but it seems others have already pointed out the silliness of this thread.
(edited 2 years ago)

What are you referring to when you say 5th and 9th? I thought for a moment you may have seen the latest 2022 THES World Rankings, which have seen Durham fall to 162nd in the World (23rd in UK), but clearly not. You cannot expect the World from a university with an annual income of just £375 million. It is an attractive and highly regarded university, just not a UK top 10 university.
Reply 7
Original post by StarLinyx
What are you referring to when you say 5th and 9th? I thought for a moment you may have seen the latest 2022 THES World Rankings, which have seen Durham fall to 162nd in the World (23rd in UK), but clearly not. You cannot expect the World from a university with an annual income of just £375 million. It is an attractive and highly regarded university, just not a UK top 10 university.

It generally is regarded as a top 10 Uk university.
Original post by Scrooo
It generally is regarded as a top 10 Uk university.

Depends on the subject. It certainly attracts elite level undergraduate students, although the nice environment the university offers plays a big factor in that. If Imperial, UCL, LSE and KCL were as attractive in their buildings and student experience, many of the Durham applicants would likely go to them instead.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Depends on the subject. It certainly attracts elite level undergraduate students, although the nice environment the university offers plays a big factor in that. If Imperial, UCL, LSE and KCL were as attractive in their buildings and student experience, many of the Durham applicants would likely go them instead.

Oxbridge, LSE/UCL/KCL, Bristol and Warwick. Outside of these unis which can you say definitively beats Durham? You would need to think of at least 3 to say its not a top 10 Univeristy.
Original post by Scrooo
Oxbridge, LSE/UCL/KCL, Bristol and Warwick. Outside of these unis which can you say definitively beats Durham? You would need to think of at least 3 to say its not a top 10 Univeristy.

Edinburgh (incredibly beautiful and Oxbridge like), Imperial, Glasgow, Manchester.

The world rankings are not entirely accurate when it comes to UK unis I’d personally say Durham is a top 10 university in the UK, as would most other people I imagine
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheClaimsGuys
The world rankings are not entirely accurate when it comes to UK unis I’d personally say Durham is a top 10 university in the UK, as would most other people I imagine

For undergraduate studies yes, but as a whole I think the current evidence suggests it falls a little short of this.
Reply 13
Edinburgh (incredibly beautiful and Oxbridge like), Imperial, Glasgow, Manchester.

glasgow? LOL
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Scrooo
glasgow? LOL

Absolutely.
Reply 15
Absolutely.

What metrics or ways does Glasgow trump Durham?
Original post by Scrooo
What metrics or ways does Glasgow trump Durham?

International profile and recognition (higher World Ranking in QS-THES tables), age of institution (about 400 years older than Durham), greater research power, much higher annual income, one of the founding universities of the Russell Group, prestigious medical, dental and veterinary medicine schools. And, of course, a gorgeous giant main building that can match anything at Durham.
Reply 17
International profile and recognition (higher World Ranking in QS-THES tables), age of institution (about 400 years older than Durham), greater research power, much higher annual income, one of the founding universities of the Russell Group, prestigious medical, dental and veterinary medicine schools. And, of course, a gorgeous giant main building that can match anything at Durham.

So your main points for why its better is it ranks better in world league tables... and that its old. Because those are the reasons you choose a university. Not much higher graduate salaries. Much higher representation in IB, Law and other top sectors. Not the much higher entry requirements? I'm just going to guess you're a Glasgow student because nobody worth their salt would even compare the two tbh. Glasgow is probably not even top 20 in my opinion.

No, if you excel or not its far more about you than the uni. Tables do offer broad guides to academic standards but note (at least):

(a) the character of places differs hugely. LSE and Durham both rank highly, but one is in a huge expensive mega city and the other a small cheap northern cathedral city with a castle and colleges. If you prefer one over the other you will probably flourish all round there, including academically. Rankings cant tell you what you prefer.
(b) undergraduate is more about teaching than research. Some rankings look more at research, which might not be relevant to you.
(c) you probably wont be taught by world experts at UG anyway, and world experts are not necessarily great teachers.
(d) rankings fluctuate randomly and differences in quality can be small. Top 10 or top 20 might not differ by much.
Original post by Scrooo
So your main points for why its better is it ranks better in world league tables... and that its old. Because those are the reasons you choose a university. Not much higher graduate salaries. Much higher representation in IB, Law and other top sectors. Not the much higher entry requirements? I'm just going to guess you're a Glasgow student because nobody worth their salt would even compare the two tbh. Glasgow is probably not even top 20 in my opinion.

I said Durham is probably a top 10 UK university for undergraduate studies, but that it comes a little short of being a top 10 UK university as a whole. The salary and career statistics should be taken with a pinch of salt, as many upper middle class students have gone there over the decades, and they have professional networks in place from their private school days and via their friends and family. The entry requirements at Durham are higher now yes, but they haven't always been. As Durham targeted a high ranking in domestic league tables, Glasgow have prioritised their strategy on research and facilities. Going to Durham is, sadly, not a passport to a high paid job in Law, IB or Management Consulting for working class and lower middle class students - there are other factors that come into play that can significantly affect career success.

Glasgow overall just sneaks into the top 10. Durham is a little further behind.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest