The Student Room Group

Canadian Decision Help: Carleton (NPSIA) Vs Durham

Hi everyone, I am hoping Someone has some insight for me here as I am worried my opinions on this are too insular and driven by a geographical location and not how they will help me later.

Context:

I finished my undergraduate degree at Queen’s University in 2020, majoring in political science, and have been working as a Officer with the military since.

This year I decided to apply to graduate school to help my prospects of one day applying to the public sector or possibly transferring into the private sector.

The schools I applied for:
- Carleton (NPSIA) -
Masters of Global Affairs

-King’s College London -
MSc in Strategic Communications

-LSE -
MSc Culture & Conflict in Global Europe

-Durham University -
MSc Global Politics

As of right now I have been accepted to Carleton and Durham, and am waiting to hear from Kings and LSE. I do not expect offers at LSE or Kings but am still waiting.

I understand that the program at NPSIA is well regarded for its coop in Ottawa, but due to my current position at work that doesn’t do a lot for me. I do know that it is a good school in Canada, but I’m worried about the prospects outside of Canada. It is also 2 years.

All things equal, saying I don’t get in anywhere else, right now I am leaning toward Durham due to the international perspectives to be gained, and the ability to have international credentials - as I’d like to work in the UK at some point. The school is also 1 year.

Question:

Is Durham as good of a school as it projects? Money and cost aside, Is it a good choice over Carleton? The idea of where you went getting you through the door is very much alive, and I want to make sure I’m not choosing a school that boasts a reputation it doesn’t have.

My thought process right now is that I feel like my work experience outweighs the extra benefits of NPSIA, and Carleton alone doesn’t beat Durham.

I’d really appreciate any insight you guys may have :smile:
Original post by GiantSquid25
Hi everyone, I am hoping Someone has some insight for me here as I am worried my opinions on this are too insular and driven by a geographical location and not how they will help me later.

Context:

I finished my undergraduate degree at Queen’s University in 2020, majoring in political science, and have been working as a Officer with the military since.

This year I decided to apply to graduate school to help my prospects of one day applying to the public sector or possibly transferring into the private sector.

The schools I applied for:
- Carleton (NPSIA) -
Masters of Global Affairs

-King’s College London -
MSc in Strategic Communications

-LSE -
MSc Culture & Conflict in Global Europe

-Durham University -
MSc Global Politics

As of right now I have been accepted to Carleton and Durham, and am waiting to hear from Kings and LSE. I do not expect offers at LSE or Kings but am still waiting.

I understand that the program at NPSIA is well regarded for its coop in Ottawa, but due to my current position at work that doesn’t do a lot for me. I do know that it is a good school in Canada, but I’m worried about the prospects outside of Canada. It is also 2 years.

All things equal, saying I don’t get in anywhere else, right now I am leaning toward Durham due to the international perspectives to be gained, and the ability to have international credentials - as I’d like to work in the UK at some point. The school is also 1 year.

Question:

Is Durham as good of a school as it projects? Money and cost aside, Is it a good choice over Carleton? The idea of where you went getting you through the door is very much alive, and I want to make sure I’m not choosing a school that boasts a reputation it doesn’t have.

My thought process right now is that I feel like my work experience outweighs the extra benefits of NPSIA, and Carleton alone doesn’t beat Durham.

I’d really appreciate any insight you guys may have :smile:

Hiya, what kind of industry are you thinking of working in in the future, and where?

You mentioned public and private sector, but that was a little bit vague.

For UK employers, 93% said they don't see which university you went to as important. So if you wanted to work in the UK which university you attend shouldn't matter. And indeed the average employer would probably have fairly limited knowledge of the Canadian higher education market.

In fairness to Durham, they're a very old institution which typically carries a certain gravitas in its UK reputation. I'd say amongst the general public it is highly regarded. Within a specific industry might be a different story though. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya, what kind of industry are you thinking of working in in the future, and where?

You mentioned public and private sector, but that was a little bit vague.

For UK employers, 93% said they don't see which university you went to as important. So if you wanted to work in the UK which university you attend shouldn't matter. And indeed the average employer would probably have fairly limited knowledge of the Canadian higher education market.

In fairness to Durham, they're a very old institution which typically carries a certain gravitas in its UK reputation. I'd say amongst the general public it is highly regarded. Within a specific industry might be a different story though. :smile:

Thanks for the advice,
If I was to leave the public service I think I would transition to security or policy consultancy. But I’m 24 and still forging things out haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending