The Student Room Group

Studied wrong things for an apprenticeship?

Hi! I'm a 17 year old, A2 and AS college student. Only got two AS levels last college year, B's in both Psychology and Politics. Now I am studying an addtional AS level in Criminology along with my A2 levels.

I very much would not like to go to University. I would love to get some good experience along with being able to make some money long-side it. An apprenticeship is very appealing to me, but I'm not sure if I chose the right A-Levels to get into one?

I'm currently not sure what I want to do as a career, as I have interests in so many things - I will be bugging the careers advisors at my college for help, just looking for some other opinions from other people first.

All I want for a job is to be something stable, and not be physically demanding :nyoron:.
I've got a good plan for the future already - it's just the career choice that I'm struggling with!

I have so many other interests like game design, coding, art, cooking, and others which I have left as hobbies - mostly cause I picked them up recently (after I chose my subjects), or I'm not sure the jobs are as stable or available.
I'm mostly a self-taught artist (apart from level 8 in Art GCSE), and have found success in selling my art online (through commission work) but obviously it is not enough to survive on, just some pocket money - so that's why it's a hobby, not a career I want to pursuit.

Of course - I enjoy the subjects I chose plenty, but are there any careers or areas of apprenticeships I could pursue with Psychology, Politics, and Criminology? I feel like I trapped a more creative person into a logical subject trap! There is not much I have seen when I was researching - so I'm kind of stuck - especially since my college expects me to write a my first draft of a personal statement for a Uni course or apprenticeship.

Any advice or thoughts would help, negative, positive, or else. Thanks! <3
Because you often learn on the job with apprenticeships I’m sure if you write a good application and interview well there will still be lots available to you regardless of your Alevels !
Hope that helps :smile:

- student blog @realliferebs.blog
https://realliferebs.wordpress.com/2021/09/14/5-essentials-you-need-for-university/
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rebecca 268
Because you often learn on the job with apprenticeships I’m sure if you write a god application and interview well there will still be lots available to you regardless of your Alevels !
Hope that helps :smile:

- student blog @realliferebs.blog
https://realliferebs.wordpress.com/2021/09/14/5-essentials-you-need-for-university/

Agreed, and regardless, let the employers decide if your qualifications are suitable. Don’t reject yourself :smile:

Apply to what interests you regardless of what they ask for. As someone who’s completed a degree apprenticeship without any A levels, i can confidently say interest in the subject and passion for the work is what best drives your development on an apprenticeship.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending