The Student Room Group

Technology degree

Hi I’m max currently studying media communication with foundation year this is not what I really expected on the course so I’m looking for a course that is technology since I’m very good at fixing phones something that I can major and will help me open a phone repair store but I have a problem is math I find math very hard so if any one can give an idea a major that can be related to phones I will be very happy to hear
Original post by Matadd
Hi I’m max currently studying media communication with foundation year this is not what I really expected on the course so I’m looking for a course that is technology since I’m very good at fixing phones something that I can major and will help me open a phone repair store but I have a problem is math I find math very hard so if any one can give an idea a major that can be related to phones I will be very happy to hear

For something more technical, potentially aligned with fixing phones, you're probably looking at electronic and/or electrical engineering.

These will involve a certain amount of maths (sorry), but you don't necessarily have to have taken A level maths to access them - particularly if you opt to take a foundation year.

For example, York's "BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering with a Foundation Year" (details here) is targeted at those without A level maths, and they use the additional (foundation year) to bring you up to speed: "You'll spend your first year learning maths and physics content to A level standard, and you'll begin to develop your practical skills in the electronics lab."

Have you considered an apprenticeship instead, to get the practical real-world experience which might be more suited to your aspirations (and your dislike of maths)?

Top tip: Whichever course you pick, read about the course content. A Media and Communications degree is never going to be about fixing phones. :wink:
Reply 2
I never thought about apprenticeship but math is too hard for me but thank you this advice I will look into an apprenticeship
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
For something more technical, potentially aligned with fixing phones, you're probably looking at electronic and/or electrical engineering.

These will involve a certain amount of maths (sorry), but you don't necessarily have to have taken A level maths to access them - particularly if you opt to take a foundation year.

For example, York's "BEng (Hons) Electronic Engineering with a Foundation Year" (details here) is targeted at those without A level maths, and they use the additional (foundation year) to bring you up to speed: "You'll spend your first year learning maths and physics content to A level standard, and you'll begin to develop your practical skills in the electronics lab."

Have you considered an apprenticeship instead, to get the practical real-world experience which might be more suited to your aspirations (and your dislike of maths)?

Top tip: Whichever course you pick, read about the course content. A Media and Communications degree is never going to be about fixing phones. :wink:

I'm currently study media and communications with foundation year at regents University so what should I do quit or find something else to do
Reply 4
I'm studying in London
Original post by Matadd
I'm currently study media and communications with foundation year at regents University so what should I do quit or find something else to do

Do you have a personal tutor, or similar that you can talk to? Perhaps Regent's University has a more suitable degree you can switch to (rather than having to leave and start again next September)?
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
Do you have a personal tutor, or similar that you can talk to? Perhaps Regent's University has a more suitable degree you can switch to (rather than having to leave and start again next September)?

Not really they don't have something intresting only media and communication was the best one when I have chosen it since all the rest are boring for me
Original post by Matadd
Not really they don't have something intresting only media and communication was the best one when I have chosen it since all the rest are boring for me

Then it sounds like you're on the wrong course, with no ability to switch to the right one. :frown:

I'd focus on the practical side of things via apprenticeships, and see if you can find anything of interest there.
Original post by Matadd

an electronics repair apprenticeship
Reply 9
Original post by Matadd
I never thought about apprenticeship but math is too hard for me but thank you this advice I will look into an apprenticeship

Go for IT course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending