The Student Room Group

bad gcse grades - study medicine

not looking for anymore replies
my gcse grades are bad but i was hoping to study medicine at university - will i be able to do this? I was depressed over the course of my gcses and put no effort in at all however I'm working hard for my A levels. I am planning on resitting (bio and) english but i have never been good at it so I'm not sure if my grade would improve by a lot even if i spend a year revising.
gcse grades
9 chemistry
8 french
7 math
7 spanish
6 art
5 physics
5 biology
5 eng lit
4 eng lang

for a levels im taking chemistry, math, psychology and epq - im getting my predicted grades tomorrow.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I’m not looking to do anything related to medicine so maybe my advice isn’t accurate, but personally I think those grades will be fine.

As far as I can tell your A-Level grades (+Personal Statement) are more important when applying to uni. The courses that I’ve looked at so far have only mentioned a minimum of a 4 in English from what I’ve seen (and I’ve been looking at English-related courses!) so I think you should be fine.

I’m applying for uni to start in 2022 so don’t take my words as gospel, as I don’t know everything for certain, but I hope this can help you in some way!
Reply 2
Original post by d0nny
my gcse grades are bad but i was hoping to study medicine at university - will i be able to do this? I was depressed over the course of my gcses and put no effort in at all however I'm working hard for my A levels. I am planning on resitting english but i have never been good at it so I'm not sure if my grade would improve by a lot even if i spend a year revising.
gcse grades
9 chemistry
8 french
7 math
7 spanish
6 art
5 physics
5 biology
5 eng lit
4 eng lang

for a levels im taking chemistry, math, psychology and epq - im getting my predicted grades tomorrow.

So are you in your 2nd year of A-levels i.e. year 13? If so, why are you planning to resit english GCSE, this year? Would it not have made more sense to have done it in your 1st year of A-levels? I will let the medicine experts comment on of it is still possible with your GCSE grades, but if you are getting your A-level predictions tomorrow, it prob makes sense to wait until then.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lalexm
So are you in your 2nd year of A-levels i.e. year 13? If so, why are you planning to resit english GCSE, this year? Would it not have made more sense to have done it in your 1st year of A-levels? I will let the medicine experts comment on of it is still possible with your GCSE grades, but if you are getting your A-level predictions tomorrow, it prob makes sense to wait until then.

sorry for the confusion im getting predicted grades which are just like target grades not actual a A level results. I am planning to resit gcse english this year (1st year) but I'm not really sure how. Thank you for replying though :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by switherall
I’m not looking to do anything related to medicine so maybe my advice isn’t accurate, but personally I think those grades will be fine.

As far as I can tell your A-Level grades (+Personal Statement) are more important when applying to uni. The courses that I’ve looked at so far have only mentioned a minimum of a 4 in English from what I’ve seen (and I’ve been looking at English-related courses!) so I think you should be fine.

I’m applying for uni to start in 2022 so don’t take my words as gospel, as I don’t know everything for certain, but I hope this can help you in some way!

I did also see some med schools that don't have minimum GCSE grades !! I've been really worried about this but I'm sure it will be okay after i resit GCSE English. Thank you so much :biggrin:
Original post by switherall

As far as I can tell your A-Level grades ( Personal Statement) are more important when applying to uni. The courses that I’ve looked at so far have only mentioned a minimum of a 4 in English from what I’ve seen (and I’ve been looking at English-related courses!) so I think you should be fine.

!

Lol this is NOT true for all medicine courses.

The post says medicine, idk why you’re talking about English related courses.

OP, you might have to resit English Lang and Probably some sciences. here is the requirements for each school.

Medicine heavily depends on UCAT/BMAT and interviews also. FYI.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CaptainDuckie

OP, you might have to resit English Lang and Probably some sciences. here is the requirements for each school.

I have already read into this, I was just wondering how likely it would be for me to get in and if anyone had any first hand experience with this :smile:
Original post by CaptainDuckie

Yeah, OP needs to do UCAT now or very soon to apply or have already done them. That’s more important than resitting one GCSE.
Reply 8
Original post by Googley_eyes
Yeah, OP needs to do UCAT now or very soon to apply or have already done them. That’s more important than resitting one GCSE.

my future isn't looking too bright.. I've done past questions but scored cripplingly low everytime. It's just one thing on top of another; honestly I'd prefer to study chemistry at university. I don't think medicine is for me :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by d0nny
sorry for the confusion im getting predicted grades which are just like target grades not actual a A level results. I am planning to resit gcse english this year (1st year) but I'm not really sure how. Thank you for replying though :smile:

So you are still in year 12, right? If so, and if you want to stand any realistic chance of getting into medical school, I think you will need to resit both Eng, and biology, otherwise too many med schools would be off the list for you, and don't forget they are absolute min requirements. Maybe chemistry though at uni is a better bet, as per your latest post.
Reply 10
Original post by lalexm
So you are still in year 12, right? If so, and if you want to stand any realistic chance of getting into medical school, I think you will need to resit both Eng, and biology, otherwise too many med schools would be off the list for you, and don't forget they are absolute min requirements. Maybe chemistry though at uni is a better bet, as per your latest post.

Yes I'm in y12. I think I'm going to resit biology and english regardless of what I'm studying at uni (most likely chemistry at this point though :biggrin:). Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest