The Student Room Group

University of Leicester A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys I’ve read that those with achieved A-levels are guaranteed an interview at Leicester if they meet certain conditions. My UCAT score was 2490, so I may just miss the cutoff for the top 5 deciles requirement. If I don’t meet it would you say I could still have a shot at an interview? I have the full 32 marks on GCSEs + A-levels. I’m unsure what the UCAT conversion is. I don’t know whether they mark those with achieved A-levels separately/have a different cutoff.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by A_02
Hi guys I’ve read that those with achieved A-levels are guaranteed an interview at Leicester if they meet certain conditions. My UCAT score was 2490, so I may just miss the cutoff for the top 5 deciles requirement. If I don’t meet it would you say I could still have a shot at an interview? I have the full 32 marks on GCSEs + A-levels. I’m unsure what the UCAT conversion is. I don’t know whether they mark those with achieved A-levels separately/have a different cutoff.

If your UCAT is not in the top 5 deciles you would be assessed in the same way as candidates with predicted A levels would be selected.(scroll to page 6) https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/mbchb/scoring

Which will make your score 56.5-a bit risky if you don't meet the achieved A level condition
Reply 22
Hi guys

Do you know if IGCSE is considered the same as GCSE in the pre-interview scoring system?
Original post by Revoli
Hi guys

Do you know if IGCSE is considered the same as GCSE in the pre-interview scoring system?

I believe so? On their document that they've released they have said: 'Academic score will be based on eight GCSEs (may include one Level 2 BTEC) but otherwise must be GCSE, iGCSE or non-UK equivalents.' though you might want to read through the document yourself since there's quite a lot!
Reply 24
They use UCAT official deciles
Hi, I achieved A*AB (A in chemistry) so I know that I have their grade requirement, and after emailing them they've said I will be an achieved grade applicant but since I will resit the B in October, does that still make me an achieved grade applicant or would I be a predicted grade applicant?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by WTSBLG
Hi, I achieved A*AB (A in chemistry) so I know that I have their grade requirement, and after emailing them they've said I will be an achieved grade applicant but since I will resit the B in October, does that still make me an achieved grade applicant or would I be a predicted grade applicant?

Achieved, I would think, as you have achieved the grades they want
Original post by GANFYD
Achieved, I would think, as you have achieved the grades they want

That's what I thought too, but I may email them later on just in case, thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 28
It says on the leicester admission statistics for medicine that it’s minus score for guarantee interview is 57 for 2021. Does this mean that if your below this you’ll be automatically rejected? I’m on 57
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Rafay._
It says on the leicester admission statistics for medicine that it’s minus score for guarantee interview is 57 for 2021. Does this mean that if your below this you’ll be automatically rejected? I’m on 57

Have you read what Leicester say abou thtis?
"The score listed is the lowest score required to be guaranteed to be invited to interview. There were some applicants who scored lower than this who were invited to interview. Those applicants were in a borderline group who had their application assessed in a tie-breaker situation. Please note: our scoring system can change every year, and as such, this score should in no way be deemed to be a minimum required every year to receive an invite to interview."
Hi! I'm a year 13 student living in Wales looking to apply to Leicester for medicine. After looking at the entry requirements on the website, I'm still a bit unsure how it all works in regards to how they score applicants. I have 10 A*s and 2 A's at GCSE and 4 A grades at AS. I am predicted A*AA at the end of year 13, however, my UCAT score is quite low - 2320 band 3. Would you say it's unlikely I would get an offer because of this? Does anyone know other universities that have no minimum UCAT score? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Original post by nicolev18
Hi! I'm a year 13 student living in Wales looking to apply to Leicester for medicine. After looking at the entry requirements on the website, I'm still a bit unsure how it all works in regards to how they score applicants. I have 10 A*s and 2 A's at GCSE and 4 A grades at AS. I am predicted A*AA at the end of year 13, however, my UCAT score is quite low - 2320 band 3. Would you say it's unlikely I would get an offer because of this? Does anyone know other universities that have no minimum UCAT score? Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

If you break it down, you scored 55 (I think, feel free to check with the link), which is still relatively high. We don’t know what the interview score cut off is for 2022, but it’s not impossible to get one below the cut off. As for other low UCAT unis, there are plenty if you search that will weigh heavier on other factors (e.g. work experience, GCSEs). Also you could consider taking the BMAT if you’re up for it. A fair few would consider A*AA. Hope that helps!

https://le.ac.uk/-/media/uol/docs/academic-departments/medicine/study-regulations/2022-scoring-of-application-a100-final-final.pdf

https://educationprojects.co.uk/low-ucat-score-where-to-apply-and-what-to-do/
Reply 32
Trying to find my chances for an interview at Leicester as a gap year student with achieved grades.
Achieved GCSEs:
Mathematics - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 8
Physics 8
Geography - 8
English Language 7
Computing 7
Spanish -7
English Literature - 6
History - 6

Achieved A Levels:
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Maths - A

UCAT: (total score - 2930, average 732.5)
VR - 600
DM - 750
QR - 780
AR - 800
SJT - Band 3

The total score is coming to 58.Can someone please advise based on the stats above? Thank you.
Reply 33
Original post by Jhunna
Trying to find my chances for an interview at Leicester as a gap year student with achieved grades.
Achieved GCSEs:
Mathematics - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 8
Physics 8
Geography - 8
English Language 7
Computing 7
Spanish -7
English Literature - 6
History - 6

Achieved A Levels:
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Maths - A

UCAT: (total score - 2930, average 732.5)
VR - 600
DM - 750
QR - 780
AR - 800
SJT - Band 3

The total score is coming to 58.Can someone please advise based on the stats above? Thank you.

Leicester guarantees interviews to achieved A level applicants https://le.ac.uk/medicine/study/mbchb/scoring
Sent off my ucas application! Now we play the waiting game 😬
Hiii basically I got a score of 56.5 according to the Leicester scoring system and ik last year the cut off was 57 and it's probably gonna be higher this year so would it be a dumb thing to do to apply to Leicester or no?? Ik I've probably just answered my own q but I thought i'd ask anyway lol
Original post by dnejfn
Sent off my ucas application! Now we play the waiting game 😬

Ooh how exciting (but scary)! May I ask where else you have applied to? :wink:
Original post by midnightskies0
Ooh how exciting (but scary)! May I ask where else you have applied to? :wink:

Liverpool, Manchester and Aston :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by HAMZAHHHH
Hiii basically I got a score of 56.5 according to the Leicester scoring system and ik last year the cut off was 57 and it's probably gonna be higher this year so would it be a dumb thing to do to apply to Leicester or no?? Ik I've probably just answered my own q but I thought i'd ask anyway lol

Not a stupid question, no harm in testing the waters haha. I would say it's pretty risky and would probably avoid unless you are desperate to go there and your other options are very safe. The cut-off is likely to go up this year just because of grade inflation from last year and increased med school applicants (judging from UCAT takers there are even more than last year)
Original post by dnejfn
Liverpool, Manchester and Aston :smile:

Good luck! I'm applying for Liverpool too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending