The Student Room Group

University of Edinburgh A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

This Year I'm applying for Medicine at the University of Edinburgh. My Higher grades are AAAAB and I'm a Widening Participant. My predicted grades for AH are AAB. I have done some virtual work experience due to COVID i couldn't do any 1 to 1 work expirience. I still have to do my UCAT but i think i will get 2700 and band 1. I speak 5 languages. Please anyone tell me what are my chances of having an offer?
Reply 41
WP makes a difference, but I do not know what adjustments they make (quite a lot, it seems as a casual observer)
Hi!I am a RUK (Northern Irish) student wanting to apply for Medicine at Edinburgh 2022 entry. I have a UCAT of 3040 and band 1. I have 10 GCSEs, all grade 9. I got 4 As in my AS levels (Biology, chemistry, maths and spanish) and am predicted 3 A*s in A-levels (biology, chemistry and maths since I dropped Spanish after AS-level). I have no hands on clinical experience because of COVID, but I worked as a receptionist in a GP clinic and in a pharmacy, each for 3 days. I have completed multiple virtual work experiences and have good volunteering experience. I’m wondering if I have a good chance of getting an interview? I’m also wondering if the personal statement is read/heavily considered at Edinburgh? Thanks so much :smile:)
Reply 43
Original post by canberra456
Hi!I am a RUK (Northern Irish) student wanting to apply for Medicine at Edinburgh 2022 entry. I have a UCAT of 3040 and band 1. I have 10 GCSEs, all grade 9. I got 4 As in my AS levels (Biology, chemistry, maths and spanish) and am predicted 3 A*s in A-levels (biology, chemistry and maths since I dropped Spanish after AS-level). I have no hands on clinical experience because of COVID, but I worked as a receptionist in a GP clinic and in a pharmacy, each for 3 days. I have completed multiple virtual work experiences and have good volunteering experience. I’m wondering if I have a good chance of getting an interview? I’m also wondering if the personal statement is read/heavily considered at Edinburgh? Thanks so much :smile:)

You should be fine, but if you are really unlucky with deciles, you may just drop out if the top one, which might be enough to miss an offer. Check if they release last year's before the UCAT deadline (and yes, I get how crazy it is to be typing this, but that is how it seemed to be last year!)
Original post by GANFYD
You should be fine, but if you are really unlucky with deciles, you may just drop out if the top one, which might be enough to miss an offer. Check if they release last year's before the UCAT deadline (and yes, I get how crazy it is to be typing this, but that is how it seemed to be last year!)

Thanks so much! Hopefully the top decile is below 3000. Do you know if the personal statement is considered at Edinburgh for medicine? :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by canberra456
Thanks so much! Hopefully the top decile is below 3000. Do you know if the personal statement is considered at Edinburgh for medicine? :smile:

Not for shortlisting, They say it is used for interview, but wasn't for my son last year
https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/edinburgh-medical-school/medicine/applying/how-to-apply/requirements/personal-statement
In fact, they even seem to have removed the bit saying that, this year
Original post by GANFYD
Not for shortlisting, They say it is used for interview, but wasn't for my son last year
https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/edinburgh-medical-school/medicine/applying/how-to-apply/requirements/personal-statement
In fact, they even seem to have removed the bit saying that, this year

I'll probably apply to Edinburgh then. Thanks so much for the help!!
Hey, looking for some advice on whether to apply. Would really like to apply to Edinburgh, but worried Band 2 sets me back and I don't want to apply if it will be wasted.

Mr grades are:
GCSE's - 11 9's (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, religious studies, maths, English lang, English lit, latin, Spanish, French, history)
A levels predictions:
A* - biology
A* - chemistry
A* - maths
Received an A* in EPQ
UCAT score:
VR - 700
DM - 660
QR - 900
AR - 720
SJT - Band 2
Total 2980

Work experience:
- worked in vaccine centre administering vaccines
- completed BSMS online work experience

Thanks guys !!
Original post by Isaac2004
Hey, looking for some advice on whether to apply. Would really like to apply to Edinburgh, but worried Band 2 sets me back and I don't want to apply if it will be wasted.

Mr grades are:
GCSE's - 11 9's (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, religious studies, maths, English lang, English lit, latin, Spanish, French, history)
A levels predictions:
A* - biology
A* - chemistry
A* - maths
Received an A* in EPQ
UCAT score:
VR - 700
DM - 660
QR - 900
AR - 720
SJT - Band 2
Total 2980

Work experience:
- worked in vaccine centre administering vaccines
- completed BSMS online work experience

Thanks guys !!

Unfortunately unless you’re Scottish it did seem like RUK candidates could not lose any marks at all last year so a B2 would lead to rejection.
Original post by becausethenight
Unfortunately unless you’re Scottish it did seem like RUK candidates could not lose any marks at all last year so a B2 would lead to rejection.

Really appreciate your help.

I was just wondering that, due to this year, the provisional results for UCAT are saying that only 16% of people got band 1 this year, compared to 35% last year, maybe with less people hitting the Band 1 I stand and outside chance and its worth the risk?

I am also applying to Glasgow, which seems safe as they don't count SJT

Thanks
Reply 50
Really appreciate your help.

I was just wondering that, due to this year, the provisional results for UCAT are saying that only 16% of people got band 1 this year, compared to 35% last year, maybe with less people hitting the Band 1 I stand and outside chance and its worth the risk?

I am also applying to Glasgow, which seems safe as they don't count SJT

Thanks

Edinburgh only invite aroun 195 RUK applicants to interview, so even 16% of the projected nearly 37,000 who will sit UCAT is nearly 6,000 people with a B1. Unfortunately, it looked rather like your 2980 would not have been top UCAT decile last year, either, so that may also be an issue.
Every year, I say Edinburgh's ridiculously high stats are going to put people off applying, so they have to drop, yet every year, they continue to be ridiculous :frown:
Original post by GANFYD
Edinburgh only invite aroun 195 RUK applicants to interview, so even 16% of the projected nearly 37,000 who will sit UCAT is nearly 6,000 people with a B1. Unfortunately, it looked rather like your 2980 would not have been top UCAT decile last year, either, so that may also be an issue.
Every year, I say Edinburgh's ridiculously high stats are going to put people off applying, so they have to drop, yet every year, they continue to be ridiculous :frown:

Yes I completely understand your logic and I know you're right, but I still think I might end up applying as I'd rather the clarity of being rejected than not knowing. Anyway, my other options (Bristol, Glasgow, Birmingham) are pretty UCAT heavy so I should be Ok given the fact Edinburgh is v risky
Reply 52
Yes I completely understand your logic and I know you're right, but I still think I might end up applying as I'd rather the clarity of being rejected than not knowing. Anyway, my other options (Bristol, Glasgow, Birmingham) are pretty UCAT heavy so I should be Ok given the fact Edinburgh is v risky

Only you can decide how much you like Edinburgh!
If it is your dream place, it may be worth it, as somebody has to get an offer (and they have a FAB interivew to offer ratio if you do get there).
Good luck :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Only you can decide how much you like Edinburgh!
If it is your dream place, it may be worth it, as somebody has to get an offer (and they have a FAB interivew to offer ratio if you do get there).
Good luck :smile:

Thanks!
Really appreciate the help
Hi, I was wondering whether it would be worth applying to Edinburgh, or if the risk's too great. I'm a RUK non contextual student.

GCSEs - 10*9s and an 8
A Levels - predicted 4A*s (Maths, Further Maths, Bio & Chem)

UCAT - 3060 B2
VR - 650, DM - 880, QR - 760, AR - 770

And a pretty good resume of work experience if it even counts for anything

Sorry for the length of post
Any feedback will be much appreciated
Reply 55
Original post by Cayman99
Hi, I was wondering whether it would be worth applying to Edinburgh, or if the risk's too great. I'm a RUK non contextual student.

GCSEs - 10*9s and an 8
A Levels - predicted 4A*s (Maths, Further Maths, Bio & Chem)

UCAT - 3060 B2
VR - 650, DM - 880, QR - 760, AR - 770

And a pretty good resume of work experience if it even counts for anything

Sorry for the length of post
Any feedback will be much appreciated

Have a read through the thread :smile:
Original post by GANFYD

Is their usual cut off really that high??
Reply 57
Original post by Chironn
Is their usual cut off really that high??

It is crazy. Just seems to have gone up year on year!
Have a read of last year's thread for the scores that were being rejected.
It is not so bad for Home applicants, but everyone else has to be well nigh perfect :eek:
Original post by GANFYD
Have a read through the thread :smile:

Guessing that's a no then. Are all Scottish unis, like Aberdeen and St Andrews, this tough for RUKs or is it just Edinburgh?
Thanks
Reply 59
Original post by Cayman99
Guessing that's a no then. Are all Scottish unis, like Aberdeen and St Andrews, this tough for RUKs or is it just Edinburgh?
Thanks

They are all much tougher for RUK than Home applicants, but Edinburgh has higher requirements than Oxbridge!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending