The Student Room Group

A level BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, PHILOSOPHY + ETHICS help! :)

Hi,
I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, and Philosophy + Ethics for a levels (exam boards all OCR) and really want to do as well as I can.

Please share tips on how to revise or reinforce understanding and any useful resources!
Much appreciated :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by thewannabevegan
Hi,
I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, and Philosophy + Ethics for a levels (exam boards all OCR) and really want to do as well as I can.

Please share tips on how to revise or reinforce understanding and any useful resources!
Much appreciated :smile:

Hi, I’m doing OCR Chem as well! With chemistry, cue cards sound pretty useful though I haven’t done any yet. Basically, instead of writing as much info on the back of a flash cards, you write key words which will then trigger the memory of the pieces of info related to that word. Definitions cue cards will probably work, as well as remembering ions, qualitative analysis and whatever else we will learn in these 2 years. I like using diagrams to help me as well, if I make notes bc I just hate writing so much 😂

Practice papers/questions as well, for any subject. They will give you a sense of common questions and exam writing techniques when looking at the mark schemes.
Original post by 3ggfriedrice
Hi, I’m doing OCR Chem as well! With chemistry, cue cards sound pretty useful though I haven’t done any yet. Basically, instead of writing as much info on the back of a flash cards, you write key words which will then trigger the memory of the pieces of info related to that word. Definitions cue cards will probably work, as well as remembering ions, qualitative analysis and whatever else we will learn in these 2 years. I like using diagrams to help me as well, if I make notes bc I just hate writing so much 😂

Practice papers/questions as well, for any subject. They will give you a sense of common questions and exam writing techniques when looking at the mark schemes.

Hi!
I'm thinking of using cue cards to help me blurt information.
Learnt about blurting from a youtuber called UnJaded Jade and it's basically 'blurting' everything you can remember about a topic into a big mind map or something (any form really as long as you get it written down) and then you correct and add to it with another colour. It uses active recall and also helps identify what bits you need to improve on!
I was also thinking of doing exam questions as I'm going along because I've heard the exams can often require you to apply knowledge to new examples and stuff so to help with exam technique.

I'm actually so nervous for when it starts getting super hard so I want to make sure I have good systems in place so I don't panic lol!
Let me know how you get on :smile:
Hi!
I'm thinking of using cue cards to help me blurt information.
Learnt about blurting from a youtuber called UnJaded Jade and it's basically 'blurting' everything you can remember about a topic into a big mind map or something (any form really as long as you get it written down) and then you correct and add to it with another colour. It uses active recall and also helps identify what bits you need to improve on!
I was also thinking of doing exam questions as I'm going along because I've heard the exams can often require you to apply knowledge to new examples and stuff so to help with exam technique.

I'm actually so nervous for when it starts getting super hard so I want to make sure I have good systems in place so I don't panic lol!
Let me know how you get on :smile:

Ooh I know her, she is so hardworking. Have you watched Jack Edwards?

To be honest I used to do the same but it wasn’t a mindmap, I just copied out the info from my head onto my notebook 😂 at the end of GCSEs I felt like a robot, honestly.

We’re in it together!!

& Philosophy and Ethics sounds cool but is it an essay subject?
Ooh I know her, she is so hardworking. Have you watched Jack Edwards?

To be honest I used to do the same but it wasn’t a mindmap, I just copied out the info from my head onto my notebook 😂 at the end of GCSEs I felt like a robot, honestly.

We’re in it together!!

& Philosophy and Ethics sounds cool but is it an essay subject?

Love Jack Edwards! His humour is honestly on another level!
Yeah Philosophy + Ethics is pretty essay based but so far really interesting!
Love Jack Edwards! His humour is honestly on another level!
Yeah Philosophy + Ethics is pretty essay based but so far really interesting!

What have you learnt about so far? Ethics slip into Psychology a bit, which is what I’m also taking.

Imagine having the time for YouTube AND school
What have you learnt about so far? Ethics slip into Psychology a bit, which is what I’m also taking.

Imagine having the time for YouTube AND school

We've been doing ancient philosophical ideas in philosophy (so Socrates, Plato + Aristotle) and introducing general ideas in ethics (I think natural moral law is what we're about to get onto!) What have you been doing?

I've noticed on the spec there's a bit on Freud who I know is a famous (albeit a little outdated) psychologist. I think if I took a 4th A level it would have definitely been psychology!
We've been doing ancient philosophical ideas in philosophy (so Socrates, Plato + Aristotle) and introducing general ideas in ethics (I think natural moral law is what we're about to get onto!) What have you been doing?

I've noticed on the spec there's a bit on Freud who I know is a famous (albeit a little outdated) psychologist. I think if I took a 4th A level it would have definitely been psychology!

All the old peeps ahha, I would get so bored in these ancient lessons

Yeah I think we learn about his theory on aggression, currently studying Milgram's obedience study, was a very interesting yet ironically unethical experiment.

Quick Reply

Latest