The Student Room Group

University of Leicester A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by applecyder
Hello, I read about guaranteed interviews at Leicester and it said top 5 deciles are guaranteed interviews - is this for achieved A level students only? I thought 50% of the application was dependent on UCAT score and the other 50% on GCSEs - are people with predicted A levels at a disadvantage to those with achieved A levels?

Achieved applicants don't have to go through pre-interview scoring, they just have to meet the minimum requirements for A-Levels and UCAT deciles and in turn are guaranteed interviews. Whereas predicted applicants have to be scored and the top x% are invited to interview. I wouldn't say it is as much of a disadvantage as you think because offers are based off of interviews. If you have only predicted grades (I'm assuming you have) calculate your score and see where that would sit you against last year's applicants. If you are above or below the borderline JUST, it is a very risky uni to apply to. If you are firrmyl above it, you are not disadvantaged as the likelihood is, you will be invited to interview. Good Luck:smile:
Original post by chris01928
Achieved applicants don't have to go through pre-interview scoring, they just have to meet the minimum requirements for A-Levels and UCAT deciles and in turn are guaranteed interviews. Whereas predicted applicants have to be scored and the top x% are invited to interview. I wouldn't say it is as much of a disadvantage as you think because offers are based off of interviews. If you have only predicted grades (I'm assuming you have) calculate your score and see where that would sit you against last year's applicants. If you are above or below the borderline JUST, it is a very risky uni to apply to. If you are firrmyl above it, you are not disadvantaged as the likelihood is, you will be invited to interview. Good Luck:smile:

I score 30.5 (UCAT) and 32 (GCSEs), which means I have a total of 62.5 points. I hope that the point threshold doesn't increase by too much for international applicants. Do you know if the 57 point threshold for 2021 entry was the same for both home and international students?

Thank you so much for your reply <3
I score 30.5 (UCAT) and 32 (GCSEs), which means I have a total of 62.5 points. I hope that the point threshold doesn't increase by too much for international applicants. Do you know if the 57 point threshold for 2021 entry was the same for both home and international students?

Thank you so much for your reply <3

I've only just set my eyes on Leicester so I'm not really sure about the figures - I'm an achieved applicant. Does anyone else know?
Original post by Yuzmah
Hi where did you get the information that 57 was last years cut off score? i am a bit worried as i have a score of exactly 57

Heyyy I think it was on the Leicester 2022 entry student room page so idk how reliable it is
Reply 84
Original post by HAMZAHHHH
Heyyy I think it was on the Leicester 2022 entry student room page so idk how reliable it is

I had 56. 5 last Yr apparently that was borderline, I got no interview.
Reply 85

I do wonder whether Leicester are going to be taken by surprise by the number of achieved grade applicants they get and are going to use this clause from their admissions document to cut numbers down
"Following scoring of academic ability and UCAT, applicants will be ranked within the 5 groups (predicted A-level, achieved A-level, resitting A-level, Graduate and Access), and the highest scoring candidates will be invited to interview. The lowest ranked applicants will not be considered further."
@GANFYD
I've got a score of 60, based on their system (7 9's, 1 7 at iGCSE) and a UCAT of 2940. It says that pre-interview international students are ranked against themselves, so do you know how to get the statistics on international students applications last year? Are the cut-offs likely to be higher than the 57 of non-international students last year?
Am I likely to at least get an interview?
Original post by GANFYD
I do wonder whether Leicester are going to be taken by surprise by the number of achieved grade applicants they get and are going to use this clause from their admissions document to cut numbers down
"Following scoring of academic ability and UCAT, applicants will be ranked within the 5 groups (predicted A-level, achieved A-level, resitting A-level, Graduate and Access), and the highest scoring candidates will be invited to interview. The lowest ranked applicants will not be considered further."

God that is a worry. Do you have any idea of how they are going to then score within those ranking because surely A-Levels should be taken into account when scoring achieved applicants? Good spot with the clause
Could reapplying to Leicester be a little risky as I have previously done an interview with them? Their admissions document says:

"They will need to demonstrate a significant improvement in any potential interview
score to be considered for an offer, as the previous year’s score will also be taken into account. We do this
to balance out any advantage due to being familiar with our interview process and stations."

I just don't know how much they mean by 'significant'. I received an interview score of 83 (when the cutoff was 85) so would I need a huge jump to 90+ to receive an offer? I'm not sure if I should bother with Leicester anymore.

Thank you for any input given!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 89
God that is a worry. Do you have any idea of how they are going to then score within those ranking because surely A-Levels should be taken into account when scoring achieved applicants? Good spot with the clause

They then say they will look at the whole application to decide who to shortlist.
I don't like the use of the word "guarantee" if you then put a caveat in, but if they do interview all achieved grades that apply, are they going to reduce numbers for other applicants? Are they going to have a ring fenced number of places post interview? People have called them about this and they just seem to say they are not expecting many achieved grade applicants, but they must be living in a different world to me!
Original post by GANFYD
They then say they will look at the whole application to decide who to shortlist.
I don't like the use of the word "guarantee" if you then put a caveat in, but if they do interview all achieved grades that apply, are they going to reduce numbers for other applicants? Are they going to have a ring fenced number of places post interview? People have called them about this and they just seem to say they are not expecting many achieved grade applicants, but they must be living in a different world to me!

It seems like they have forgotten that there have been grade inflations and that there are far more applicants than places each year. It's like they were trying to make the entire process easier for themselves without thinking about that huge incentive to apply to Leicester. I'm really not sure where to apply to now because as you say predicted or achieved students will suffer. Real shame:frown:
It seems like they have forgotten that there have been grade inflations and that there are far more applicants than places each year. It's like they were trying to make the entire process easier for themselves without thinking about that huge incentive to apply to Leicester. I'm really not sure where to apply to now because as you say predicted or achieved students will suffer. Real shame:frown:

Oh noooo... Does that mean even if you have a high score out of 64 (I thought I had a relatively 'safe' score of 62.5) - you're not safe with Leicester? I do wish they'd specify how they gave out interviews :frown:
Oh noooo... Does that mean even if you have a high score out of 64 (I thought I had a relatively 'safe' score of 62.5) - you're not safe with Leicester? I do wish they'd specify how they gave out interviews :frown:

I'm not really sure but I imagine there is going to be a fair increase in applications this year which might make it harder to get in. I'm not sure about statistics someone else might know if your score is safe enough.
Reply 93

It is just that they will not be clear how they are going to deal with what is likely to be a massive influx of "guaranteed" interviews. They should look at the hassle Exeter had last year, with those with predicted grades needing A*A*A* and 3040 UCAT for an interview, and then, completely foreseeably, too many people already with the grades for the places they had.

I am sure it is well intentioned, but it is shortsighted and not thought through and they are not putting in plans for what is clearly about to happen (or at least not telling applicants)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
It is just that they will not be clear how they are going to deal with what is likely to be a massive influx of "guaranteed" interviews. They should look at the hassle Exeter had last year, with those predicted grades needign A*A*A* and 3040 UCAT for an interview, and then, completely foreseeable, too many people already with the grades for the places they had.

I am sure it is well intentioned, but it is shortsighted and not thought through and they are not putting in plans for what is clearly about to happen (or at least not telling applicants)

PRSOM
PRSOM

What's a PRSOM?
What's a PRSOM?

You can't rep someone a lot without repping other ppl between, so its basically the equivalent of repping them. They want to rep them but the system doesn't allow them to. Just shows how great GANFYD is and that we're all really grateful that they're here helpful us :smile:))
(edited 1 year ago)
Even if you have achieved a levels do people think Leicester is a safe choice for interview this year?
Does Leicester care at all about sjt? I have achieved grades and a ucat score above 5th decile, but band 3 would this put me at any advantage? Thanks
Original post by anon123456789!
Does Leicester care at all about sjt? I have achieved grades and a ucat score above 5th decile, but band 3 would this put me at any advantage? Thanks

I believe they would only use SJT in a tiebreak situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending