The Student Room Group

if apprenticeships are the better route, why can’t you do a medicine apprenticeship?

closest I can find is a pharmacy assistant apprentice.
Well a medical degree looks like it already has a lot of the features of an apprenticeship built in... (except you get to pay back your own tuition fees these days)

guess no one wants to call it an apprenticeship cos that'd be offputting to the middle class :colondollar:
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
Well a medical degree looks like it already has a lot of the features of an apprenticeship built in... (except you get to pay back your own tuition fees these days)

guess no one wants to call it an apprenticeship cos that'd be offputting to the middle class :colondollar:

if calling it an apprenticeship is off putting for the middle class, I am guessing you favour academics and A Levels more?
Original post by Anon346775
if calling it an apprenticeship is off putting for the middle class, I am guessing you favour academics and A Levels more?

No I don't mean myself when I'm talking about the middle class
I think its because the content you would have to learn on top of working full time would be too much for the students. The content alone must be hard enough to go through. I did an accountancy apprenticeship and i hardly had any time to do anything outside of work and studying especially during busy season at work where i'd have to work 10 hours. I feel like the only way it would be possible if they extended the length of the degree so students had more time to go through the content.
closest I can find is a pharmacy assistant apprentice.

medicine has strict regulations and would take years to update it so that apprenticeships were allowed. there's no reason for regulators to allow medicine apprenticeships since they wouldn't make as much money.

also, in general whether an apprenticeship is a better route or not depends on the company, role, and person.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
apprenticeships give experience and guarantees you a job at the end, uni doesn’t, apprenticeships avoid uni debt, uni doesn’t.

Can a person who is academic and excels in A levels do well in a hands on course? I am sure they can, but not sure if the same can be said for the other way around.
apprenticeships give experience and guarantees you a job at the end, uni doesn’t, apprenticeships avoid uni debt, uni doesn’t.

Can a person who is academic and excels in A levels do well in a hands on course? I am sure they can, but not sure if the same can be said for the other way around.

Medical degree virtually guarantees employment... Its one of the characteristics existing medical degrees share with apprenticeships.
The number of people admitted into medical degrees is designed to make sure theres going to be a job for all of them at the end.
Academic degrees you finish the course and then have to compete for jobs in an over saturated graduate job market.
apprenticeships give experience and guarantees you a job at the end,

so just like a medical degree then
If one did exist it would be a path to nurturing knowledge I guess?
I was reading about black history in medicine and Daniel Hale Williams started off as an apprentice surgical assistant before going on to college/university and turned out really skilled. He is known as being the first to perform successful open heart surgery.

I wonder how many skilled people in any discipline slip in-between the gaps either unknowingly picking an education route that isn't designed to allow them to reach full potential or picking a subject other people or society pressured them towards.

Finding your calling in life is basically a lottery, you either win or you don't and end up as a 9-5 zombie with no real impact on the world.
my point is why is there only one pathway into a medical degree?
my point is why is there only one pathway into a medical degree?

Why is it a problem that there is only one pathway? There is one pathway to many careers. Personally, I would rather be treated by a doctor who had a proper education rather than someone who just learnt practical skills on the job.
Original post by black tea
Why is it a problem that there is only one pathway? There is one pathway to many careers. Personally, I would rather be treated by a doctor who had a proper education rather than someone who just learnt practical skills on the job.

what if you can’t do it due to personal reasons, then you basically sacrifice your career and you do something else.
what if you can’t do it due to personal reasons, then you basically sacrifice your career and you do something else.

yes, same as you would for any career option that you couldn't do for whatever reason. that's just life
I think maybe because working full time and having to learn the content would be difficult. I did an accounting apprenticeship and found that I had no time to do anything outside of studying for exams and work. The ACAs are a lot less intense than medicine so I can see why there isn't tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending