The Student Room Group

Is a Computing HND course worth it?

So I've finished college (hopefully have passed my T-Level - digital production or something) and don't really know what to do next. Back in January I applied for a few uni's and the HND course at the same college. Knew I didn't wanna go to uni and got accepted for the HND course as long as I pass, teachers like me and said they wanted me to stay. The problem is, I'm not massively sure if I want to do this course. I admittedly have absolutely nothing else lined up, which is one of the reasons I'm considering the course. Got a part time job however the course is 3 or 4 evening classes a week so I should be able to work around the course. I didn't massively enjoy my T-Level, found it quite difficult but didn't hate it either. Anyone who has done a computing HND, is it worth doing? I'm aware that after two years I can go to uni to make it a degree but this doesn't really appeal to me.
(edited 9 months ago)
Honestly if you didn't really enjoy doing your T-level course it doesn't sound like a formal course is really your best bet anyway. If you did want to continue developing your knowledge in some capacity I'd probably suggest looking at apprenticeship options (potentially up to degree apprenticeships) in the area you are interested in.

Also if you do later change your mind and want to go to uni the HND route actually makes things a bit more complicated from a student finance perspective, as you'd only be able to do a 1 year top-up course to "complete" the degree (if you decided you wanted to do a full degree in another subject for example, you'd end up not being able to be funded for at least one year of that course...).

Remember that just because you don't pursue it now doesn't mean you won't be able to pursue it in the future - you may find having some time away from formal education and focusing on work for a bit is a good experience anyway (and might help you focus on what specifically you may want to do in more formal education later). Definitely wouldn't recommend continuing with education "just because" - I think it's a lot better for you to have a clear idea of why you want to do the course, with a specific goal, and a genuine motivation for it.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending