The Student Room Group

Politics question!!!!

what is the difference between party policies between the Conservatives and Republicans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bruhhh... I gt a 12-marker. I just need some points. its for politics a level Its on party policies..how is it broad?
Original post by NI52
bruhhh... I gt a 12-marker. I just need some points. its for politics a level Its on party policies..how is it broad?

republicans - do you mean the us republicans, trump etc?
Reply 3
Original post by rbbcstrks
republicans - do you mean the us republicans, trump etc?

yes, YEP
Reply 4
In terms of party policiy, I was going to talk about tax, healthcare, etc...idk if these are valid points.
Original post by NI52
yes, YEP

the us republicans are more right wing than the cons.
Cons are centre-right, the republicans are right wing.
e.g. the cons support the NHS which is public. the republicans do not support a public health service.
the cons are more socially liberal than the republicans who are socially conservative.
the republicans are closely tied to Christianity and traditional values, the conservative pm david cameron supported gay marriage
Original post by NI52
In terms of party policiy, I was going to talk about tax, healthcare, etc...idk if these are valid points.

both are low tax but the cons less so - for example the recent rise in ni to pay for social care, furlough during covid.
Reply 7
the us republicans are more right wing than the cons.
Cons are centre-right, the republicans are right wing.
e.g. the cons support the NHS which is public. the republicans do not support a public health service.
the cons are more socially liberal than the republicans who are socially conservative.
the republicans are closely tied to Christianity and traditional values, the conservative pm david cameron supported gay marriage

THANK U FOR THAT. could I argue that the conservatives have little care for healthcare though? Due to the 4.1 billion needed to cover NHS costs?
Original post by NI52
THANK U FOR THAT. could I argue that the conservatives have little care for healthcare though? Due to the 4.1 billion needed to cover NHS costs?

Yes you could say that while the conservatives support the existence of the NHS as a system of public healthcare, as they are a centre-right party they will not borrow more or rise taxes to provide more funding for the NHS because their political philosophy is low taxes.
Reply 9
Yes you could say that while the conservatives support the existence of the NHS as a system of public healthcare, as they are a centre-right party they will not borrow more or rise taxes to provide more funding for the NHS because their political philosophy is low taxes.

Thank u . Have u done politics a level already? You seem very good at it - the points. Could I also show u my points and AO1s to back it up, please? When Im done.
Reply 10

Also I agree that the Reupublicans do not support a public health service, so what do they believe in?
Original post by NI52
Thank u . Have u done politics a level already? You seem very good at it - the points. Could I also show u my points and AO1s to back it up, please? When Im done.

No but I've completed a law degree so I have a good understanding of politics. Yes show me them when you are done.

Also - the difference between the republicans who are supportive of gun ownership which is prohibited in the uk. republicans support such libertarian freedoms. republicans are more opposed to abortion - conservatives are more pro choice = republicans more socially conservative.
Original post by NI52
Also I agree that the Reupublicans do not support a public health service, so what do they believe in?

Private healthcare - get your own health insurance. Opposed Obamacare but trump administration did not come up with an alternative.
Reply 13
No but I've completed a law degree so I have a good understanding of politics. Yes show me them when you are done.

Also - the difference between the republicans who are supportive of gun ownership which is prohibited in the uk. republicans support such libertarian freedoms. republicans are more opposed to abortion - conservatives are more pro choice = republicans more socially conservative.

THANK U, this helps alot. And I will send you essay plan when I'm done.
Original post by NI52
what is the difference between party policies between the Conservatives and Republicans?

One difference arguably is that during Trump's admin, he took a protectionist stance on the economy, placing tariffs against adversarial countries like China and Mexico. This was justified on the grounds that it would benefit American workers, especially the manufacturing sector. Trump sought to project an "America first" position on trade and economy, rejecting the value of free trade and global cooperation. However, the Tories have historically valued the importance of free-trade and global capitalism, believing that protectionism only weakens ties between nation states and creates further division over the economy. This is illustrated through the first free trade agreement between the UK and Australia since Brexit. The crux of it all is that, Boris seeks to build a "global Britain", in contrast to Trump's cultivation of "America first".
They are wildly different.

Republicans are about individual liberty, low tax, pro-business, low regulation, states rights.
Tories are centrist (by US standards left wing), the current crop are pretty authoritarian (although given the global circumstances the yard stick here is hard to measure), tbh the Tories enforce high taxes and always spending money they are really just a labour-lite nowadays.
Original post by NI52

You should look at the relative GDP healthcare spend v historical norms, the boosted borrowing funds due to covid, and they’ve just raised NI to funnel more money into it. They keep throwing money at the NHS and the NHS keeps spending it all & asking for more.
Reply 17
Original post by mnot
You should look at the relative GDP healthcare spend v historical norms, the boosted borrowing funds due to covid, and they’ve just raised NI to funnel more money into it. They keep throwing money at the NHS and the NHS keeps spending it all & asking for more.

Thank you for that! I know that for Conservatives, there's the Furlough scheme during Covid and the
1.25% Recent rise in National Insurance to pay for social care - to reform social care. These are actually examples of recently raising taxes in response to the pandemic. However, do you have any examples of the Republicans lowering taxes? Recent AO1s? Maybe the Trump reform act
Original post by NI52
Thank you for that! I know that for Conservatives, there's the Furlough scheme during Covid and the
1.25% Recent rise in National Insurance to pay for social care - to reform social care. These are actually examples of recently raising taxes in response to the pandemic. However, do you have any examples of the Republicans lowering taxes? Recent AO1s? Maybe the Trump reform act

I would just go to statista and look at all the annualized graphs comparing healthcare spend v GDP, and then compare all the federal tax rates as well as state income taxes where the core markets are similar between republican & non GOP governments (or where the state government swung enabling direct comparison) although this will take some time to research.
Reply 19
Private healthcare - get your own health insurance. Opposed Obamacare but trump administration did not come up with an alternative.

hey, are u available to check my essay plan?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending