The Student Room Group

volunteering for politics and international relations

I am interested in studying politics and international relations at LSE. Is it worth doing volunteering with my local candidates for the upcoming elections for my personal statement? or should I focus purely on super-curriculars? I already have work experience booked in an MP's office so I am just wondering whether I should try get more of this political experience.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
You dont need any sort of work-experience for a Pol/IR degree. Remember, its an academic degree, it isnt 'how to be a politician' so whilst it might be interesting knocking on doors or trailing around after your local MP, this wont make any difference to your UCAS application.

More useful/impressive will be relevant reading etc - have a look at a few of these suggestions :
Recommended Reading | Politics and International Relations | The University of Sheffield
Recommended Reading List | Department of Political Economy | King’s College London (kcl.ac.uk)

Recorded lectures from UK academics :
Plato and the Idea of Political Office (gresham.ac.uk)
Markets and Marxism: USA, USSR and China (gresham.ac.uk)
Iran’s ‘Woman, Life, Freedom’ Movement (gresham.ac.uk)
The Irish Question and the Ulster Question Then and Now (gresham.ac.uk)
etc
Reply 2
Original post by dunjja89
I am interested in studying politics and international relations at LSE. Is it worth doing volunteering with my local candidates for the upcoming elections for my personal statement? or should I focus purely on super-curriculars? I already have work experience booked in an MP's office so I am just wondering whether I should try get more of this political experience.

as someone who's applied for that exact course. work experience is the last thing you need for a degree like politics. Universities want to see how you analyse or critically evaluate through what you've read and written. work experience is only required and encouraged for those doing medicine/vet med. political experience is therefore not something unis look for but can be nice if you want to show you've gone out of your way to find it but i don't think it will set you apart from any other candidate. i would say focus on reading around the subject and do essay competitions.
Reply 3
Original post by hahaaddie
as someone who's applied for that exact course. work experience is the last thing you need for a degree like politics. Universities want to see how you analyse or critically evaluate through what you've read and written. work experience is only required and encouraged for those doing medicine/vet med. political experience is therefore not something unis look for but can be nice if you want to show you've gone out of your way to find it but i don't think it will set you apart from any other candidate. i would say focus on reading around the subject and do essay competitions.

Thanks so much! I have got a huge reading list I'm working towards already but its a relief work experience isn't important. Unfortunately, it is mandatory i do 20 hours at school but now i know i shouldn't try do more so, thankyou :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dunjja89
Thanks so much! I have got a huge reading list I'm working towards already but its a relief work experience isn't important. Unfortunately, it is mandatory i do 20 hours at school but now i know i shouldn't try do more so, thankyou :smile:

ah yes please remember not to burn yourself out! and great that you’re so prepared already with the reading list. Good luck for your application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending