The Student Room Group

How can I do well in alevels?

I am currently in year 12 and starting my a-level course. The jump between a level and gcse has been overwhelming and there is soo much. I am struggling with how I should revise and what I should do for each subject? I am doing biology, chemistry and history. Is there any tips or advice for my subjects?
The chemistry cgp student guide (not revision guide) is brilliant. The biology one is also good, but I would also recommend the ocr one (that’s if your exam board is ocr of course).

Physics and maths tutor is great for practise questions and past papers.

YouTube wise, Machemguy is brilliant for chemistry. Biorach is brillant for biology.

The website chemguide is also great for chemistry, when you need some more explanation.

I also recommend printing out the specifications and following them closely!

I don’t take history, so I’m not sure of an resources which would be useful. Although I’m sure physics and maths tutor will have some practise questions and past papers.

Hope this helps!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
hiya! history student here.

seneca is a great way to revise as it uses active recall and is free. quizlet is great for revision cards as well as being able to make you're own. answering exam style questions and getting your teacher to mark them is also good :smile:.

for history you should try and colour code important dates and events and try to write concise notes that suit you. it also helps to watch youtube videos if you don't understand a certain event etc. try and go through your notes after class as well and always ask the teacher for help if you don't understand something.
Original post by Aelishaaa
I am currently in year 12 and starting my a-level course. The jump between a level and gcse has been overwhelming and there is soo much. I am struggling with how I should revise and what I should do for each subject? I am doing biology, chemistry and history. Is there any tips or advice for my subjects?

I’ll give some general advice since I noticed that half term is on the horizon. Experiment with different revision techniques, see what an A/A* student does for revision when compared to a D/E student. Take some deep breaths and enjoy the holiday, whilst being mindful about the methods you’ll eventually be incorporating.

Lastly, get the specification for each subject; it’s free and can easily be obtained by searching something along the lines of: a-level AQA biology specification, if you’re doing AQA biology of course. If not feel free to replace this with the exam board that you’re doing.

Good luck!
Original post by franksfoot1
The chemistry cgp student guide (not revision guide) is brilliant. The biology one is also good, but I would also recommend the ocr one (that’s if your exam board is ocr of course).

Physics and maths tutor is great for practise questions and past papers.

YouTube wise, Machemguy is brilliant for chemistry. Biorach is brillant for biology.

The website chemguide is also great for chemistry, when you need some more explanation.

I also recommend printing out the specifications and following them closely!

I don’t take history, so I’m not sure of an resources which would be useful. Although I’m sure physics and maths tutor will have some practise questions and past papers.

Hope this helps!

Thank you sooo much!
What history topics are you doing? Different topics might favour different methods. For my Civil war course I need to know less events in higher detail than my Tudors course that needs more events in less detail. For the Civil war I favour writing detailed notes about each specific event, for the Tudors I prefer timeline style notes to cover the longer period better.
I personally write up my notes really clearly on a frequent basis. In lessons I write a load of information that's relevant, but kinda use shorthand methods that aren't great for long term recollection. I then write them up on One Note where I have them all clearly separated by section of the topic, and I then put the key facts in bold.
I also created timelines with facts attached to each event that were really useful for visual learning.
onenote civil war.pngMy OneNote notes
timeline.pngMy timeline
Also, use your teachers for exam technique. Practice write questions and ask them to mark or critique them. Start early and learn where you need to improve. I left it a bit late and ended up screwing up my end of year 12 mock, but learned a ton for my year 13 mini mock
Original post by OJlongley
What history topics are you doing? Different topics might favour different methods. For my Civil war course I need to know less events in higher detail than my Tudors course that needs more events in less detail. For the Civil war I favour writing detailed notes about each specific event, for the Tudors I prefer timeline style notes to cover the longer period better.
I personally write up my notes really clearly on a frequent basis. In lessons I write a load of information that's relevant, but kinda use shorthand methods that aren't great for long term recollection. I then write them up on One Note where I have them all clearly separated by section of the topic, and I then put the key facts in bold.
I also created timelines with facts attached to each event that were really useful for visual learning.
onenote civil war.pngMy OneNote notes
timeline.pngMy timeline
Also, use your teachers for exam technique. Practice write questions and ask them to mark or critique them. Start early and learn where you need to improve. I left it a bit late and ended up screwing up my end of year 12 mock, but learned a ton for my year 13 mini mock

Thank you soooo much! This is really helpful. I am doing revolutions of Russia and Britain :wink:
Reply 7
Thank you soooo much! This is really helpful. I am doing revolutions of Russia and Britain :wink:

What board are you studying ?

I feel for you I was in the same position last year but trust me it gets better. In my first chemistry test even though I revised, I got 36%. I was super sad but I'm glad looking back because that bad grade taught me so much and helped me improve. My method was just making notes and reading them but for chemistry exam questions are ESSENTIAL in my opinion. The questions are mostly similar and there's specific mark scheme wording which can only be picked up whilst doing exam questions. A website I really like for AQA exam questions is scienceskool because all the q are compiled in a booklet. https://www.scienceskool.co.uk/a-level-exams1.html this is the link. just scroll down and you'll find the different booklets. These q are all old spec so i reccomend going through the new spec papers and doing exam q relevant to ur topic- this is something all the A* students do. Don't learn the mark schemes tho, understand them. PMT is also good for exam q but theres so many booklets and I noticed that q repeat in different booklets so I just prefer my method.

For biology, its important to ensure you understand the content really well. So read your textbook, watch videos online, ask your teacher and ensure you understand the content. Making spec specific notes is essential and then follow up with exam q. For the new spec there aren't many q so I'd also do the old spec ones if you have time. But focus a lot on understanding content for all your subs thats really important

You'll get there so dw too much. It won't be easy but you'll get there. Everyone struggling even if it may not seem like that. I also have quite good spec specific notes for AQA biology and chemistry and I can share those:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1z9l5GWGoT5BKX4vq3vddz7AFYMQbfXCt?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16Qu8Sr_yWSClUAb_KUpAz4i-qtaK7_5R?usp=sharing
Original post by cupcake4546
I feel for you I was in the same position last year but trust me it gets better. In my first chemistry test even though I revised, I got 36%. I was super sad but I'm glad looking back because that bad grade taught me so much and helped me improve. My method was just making notes and reading them but for chemistry exam questions are ESSENTIAL in my opinion. The questions are mostly similar and there's specific mark scheme wording which can only be picked up whilst doing exam questions. A website I really like for AQA exam questions is scienceskool because all the q are compiled in a booklet. https://www.scienceskool.co.uk/a-level-exams1.html this is the link. just scroll down and you'll find the different booklets. These q are all old spec so i reccomend going through the new spec papers and doing exam q relevant to ur topic- this is something all the A* students do. Don't learn the mark schemes tho, understand them. PMT is also good for exam q but theres so many booklets and I noticed that q repeat in different booklets so I just prefer my method.

For biology, its important to ensure you understand the content really well. So read your textbook, watch videos online, ask your teacher and ensure you understand the content. Making spec specific notes is essential and then follow up with exam q. For the new spec there aren't many q so I'd also do the old spec ones if you have time. But focus a lot on understanding content for all your subs thats really important

You'll get there so dw too much. It won't be easy but you'll get there. Everyone struggling even if it may not seem like that. I also have quite good spec specific notes for AQA biology and chemistry and I can share those:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1z9l5GWGoT5BKX4vq3vddz7AFYMQbfXCt?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16Qu8Sr_yWSClUAb_KUpAz4i-qtaK7_5R?usp=sharing

i agree with this and scienceskool is a life saver use it !!!
PS. i want to say that when trying to access the files it says the person requires permission so you may get a email about them want to to access the file
Original post by lunariumxo
i agree with this and scienceskool is a life saver use it !!!
PS. i want to say that when trying to access the files it says the person requires permission so you may get a email about them want to to access the file

Yeah that's fine. I got the email and gave them access
Original post by OJlongley
timeline.pngMy timeline

What did you use to make this timeline? :smile:
Original post by Kstudy93
What board are you studying ?

I’m doing edexcel

I do the exact same subjects and I’m struggling too!

Quick Reply

Latest