The Student Room Group

Manipulative behaviour in a streetcar named desire

What are some places in the play where manipulative behaviour is shown by either Stanley or blanche?? Excluding scene 5 where blanche manipulates the young man.?

Pls helpppp
Original post by P1xievampr
What are some places in the play where manipulative behaviour is shown by either Stanley or blanche?? Excluding scene 5 where blanche manipulates the young man.?

Pls helpppp

What you call manipulation often depends on your perspective. Do you manipulate from a point of strength or from a point of vulnerability? There is an assumption of a mismatch between your motives and your behavior. In short, dishonest behavior. So, in order to answer your question, you must define manipulation.

Tennessee Williams is one of my favorite writers of all time. But it was mostly due to The Glass Menagerie. There is a very manipulative mother in The Glass Menagerie, but it is always easy to see why. She is not evil. At what point does it become something else?
Pretty much any of Blanche's interactions with Stella can be seen as manipulative if you're looking for it. Consider every mention of Belle Reve between the two.

Pls helpppp

I mean... I'd say when Blanche first meets Mitch. She lies about being the younger sister, just to make herself more desirable.

Pls helpppp

If you get a cushy job in some other city, and I love you. If I cry to make you stay, do I manipulate you or simply show what I feel?
Reply 5
Original post by michaelhw
If you get a cushy job in some other city, and I love you. If I cry to make you stay, do I manipulate you or simply show what I feel?

Its a fine line isnt it? Not to mention grossly subject to personal interpretation. Hence the current misuse of the term gaslighting and such.
Original post by Napp
Its a fine line isnt it? Not to mention grossly subject to personal interpretation. Hence the current misuse of the term gaslighting and such.

Yes, you are right. But If I say I love you, when I am really after your money. THEN, there is no doubt, however. But I can't remember this in A Streetcar Named Desire? That sounds more like a noir movie starring Barbara Stanwyck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending