The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What are my odds of getting in?

Hi all, im applying for the management course at Durham. My predicted grades are AAA which match the entry required of AAB. However, they want gcse maths at a grade 7 and i received a grade 6. It is worth noting that i attend a somewhat deprived state school. How likely is it i get an offer? cause i can still change my ucas if i want.
I am in a similar situation, the course I want to do requires AAA which is fine as my predicted grades are A*A*A but my GCSE's weren't great :/

Im hoping that they take into consideration that we could not sit them because I know I could have done a lot better if I sat the exams. Hopefully, they won't look at GCSE's as much :smile:

I would say definitely apply
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Layla1712
I am in a similar situation, the course I want to do requires AAA which is fine as my predicted grades are A*A*A but my GCSE's weren't great :/

Im hoping that they take into consideration that we could not sit them because I know I could have done a lot better if I sat the exams. Hopefully, they won't look at GCSE's as much :smile:

I would say definitely apply

yes i know, its so unfair how they consider our gcses when we didnt even sit them... anyways yep, i applied, even tho the offer rate is only like 1 in 3! best of luck to you!
Original post by pancakekreps
Hi all, im applying for the management course at Durham. My predicted grades are AAA which match the entry required of AAB. However, they want gcse maths at a grade 7 and i received a grade 6. It is worth noting that i attend a somewhat deprived state school. How likely is it i get an offer? cause i can still change my ucas if i want.

Your chance of getting in is 0%. You do not meet the minimum requirements for the course and so your application will be automatically rejected, unless you have a contextual offer which also waives the GCSE maths requirement. Have you asked Durham if this is a possibility?
Original post by pancakekreps
yes i know, its so unfair how they consider our gcses when we didnt even sit them... anyways yep, i applied, even tho the offer rate is only like 1 in 3! best of luck to you!

Those odds are a lot better than some other places tbh haha, thé course I want to do at UCL is around 1/24😭😭

Best of luck x
GCSE requirements are not flexible. They are about the basic skills needed to successfully complete the course.
Applying without the required GCSE grades is the quickest way to get a swift rejection.

Ask your school about retaking this GCSE in the summer.
Any offer would then include this as an extra condition.
This is something to check before applying. As above, it will almost certainly be a straight rejection.
Hi , I would contact admissions at Durham ASAP before the cooling off period if your form has been submitted to ucas and ask about whether contextual relates to gcses as well. Also is your school considered as one that would garner a contextual offer. It seems very unfair that gcses that were not formally taken can have such an influence. If you really want Durham and they tell you it’s 7 or a rejection then speak to the school about a resit this summer and get this added to your form OR take it off and choose somewhere else. Good luck !
GCSEs are usually not included in a Contextual offer - GCSEs are about basic skills and therefore not 'optional.'
Original post by McGinger
GCSEs are usually not included in a Contextual offer - GCSEs are about basic skills and therefore not 'optional.'

I’m sure you are right But There is nothing lost in checking though with the uni offering the course though is there? And at the same time asking them if they would consider an application based on a maths resit.
Original post by Fruity Girl
I’m sure you are right But There is nothing lost in checking though with the uni offering the course though is there? And at the same time asking them if they would consider an application based on a maths resit.

I know of a lower RG in the past that asked for a numeracy competency exam pass at 75% for a student with outstanding A level subject predictions great gcses but a maths grade one below recommended.

Quick Reply

Latest