The Student Room Group

Feel uncomfortable talking about myself

I'm naturally a reserved and introverted person but I worry about how that affects my ability to form friendships. I do have a fairly small social circle (with close friends) but I find it hard to talk about myself with people I'm not familiar with/ don't feel comfortable around. I always think people won't be interested in what I have to say. I recently started a new job in an office where people are constantly talking about themselves and it feels a little uncomfortable to me. I'm friendly to everyone and always show interest in their lives but am reluctant to share my life as I always think nobody will care lol. How can I overcome this?
Reply 1
have you tryed writing down
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm naturally a reserved and introverted person but I worry about how that affects my ability to form friendships. I do have a fairly small social circle (with close friends) but I find it hard to talk about myself with people I'm not familiar with/ don't feel comfortable around. I always think people won't be interested in what I have to say. I recently started a new job in an office where people are constantly talking about themselves and it feels a little uncomfortable to me. I'm friendly to everyone and always show interest in their lives but am reluctant to share my life as I always think nobody will care lol. How can I overcome this?

First thing is that lots of people like to talk about themselves so if you are a good listener and appear interested (and you sound great at that), and ask the odd question, they will almost certainly like you - and you won't necessarily have to share much about yourself. However, the odd, non-revealing comment ('I like that film as well') is often enough to get a short conversation going. The book An A to Z of office life has lots of ideas on making 'small talk' (basically, talking about not very much at all!). In the early stages of your new job, it's quite helpful not to talk too much about your life. Although most people will be nice, kind and friendly, not everyone is as they seem, so waiting a bit to see who you can trust is not a bad idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending