The Student Room Group

London climate protest

TEENAGE climate activist Greta Thunberg attended a small protest in London on Friday (29) against global banks’ role in the fossil fuel industry, ahead of travelling to the upcoming COP26 summit in Scotland.

The 18-year-old environmental icon joined a few dozen young protesters demanding banks stop financing polluting projects, such as fossil fuel extraction, outside the headquarters of Standard Chartered bank.

After being thronged by the hordes of waiting cameras, she briefly rallied with other young activists at the site in London’s financial district before leaving without making a speech.

GettyImages-1350013284.jpg

Scroll to see replies

A moron protesting about something which she has no idea about, followed by morons who have even less idea.
How long did it take her to ride here?
Another delusional egomaniac. She'll fit in well in the halls of power when she's old enough.
Original post by TCA2b
Another delusional egomaniac. She'll fit in well in the halls of power when she's old enough.

Lets be honest, never mind the halls of power, as a delusional egomaniac she would fit in well in halls of residence
Original post by caravaggio2
Lets be honest, never mind the halls of power, as a delusional egomaniac she would fit in well in halls of residence

Touche. :congrats:
Reply 6
I'd have slightly more respect for her if she wasnt such a hypocrit. She uses plastics (made from oil), drugs (also oil), transport (you guessed it, oil), banks (oh sweet irony) and so on so forth. Practice what you preach.
Reply 7
Original post by Napp
I'd have slightly more respect for her if she wasnt such a hypocrit. She uses plastics (made from oil), drugs (also oil), transport (you guessed it, oil), banks (oh sweet irony) and so on so forth. Practice what you preach.

This.
She comes from a very privileged family who used a **** ton of fossil fuels, and tells us plebs to reign down on our use of fossil fuels. Someone as naive as Greta isn't smart enough to have such a large audience and attention, she is just a face and there is probably someone in the shadows controlling her.
Reply 8
Original post by Djtoodles
A moron protesting about something which she has no idea about, followed by morons who have even less idea.

Pray, do enlighten us about what you know about climate change...
Reply 9
Original post by Napp

I find this line of reasoning quite odd. It's a bit like those who seem to suggest that in order to be left wing you basically have to live in a box with your family and never buy anything.

The point is to reduce emissions so far as reasonably possible, while recognising that some emissions will ultimately always be necessary.
Original post by DSilva
I find this line of reasoning quite odd. It's a bit like those who seem to suggest that in order to be left wing you basically have to live in a box with your family and never buy anything.

The point is to reduce emissions so far as reasonably possible, while recognising that some emissions will ultimately always be necessary.

No emissions are necessary. Climate activists can be monks who eat berries they find and only own rags to hide their private parts! In order to be a climate activist while not being a hypocrite this is the one of the few ways possible.
Reply 11
Original post by sufys12
No emissions are necessary. Climate activists can be monks who eat berries they find and only own rags to hide their private parts! In order to be a climate activist while not being a hypocrite this is the one of the few ways possible.

Again, this is so silly. Net zero doesn't mean no emissions at all, it means that there shoudn't be a net amount of emissions.
Original post by DSilva
Pray, do enlighten us about what you know about climate change...

If was to dump all the knowledge I have accumulated on this subject it would read like war and peace. Suffice to say spouting pointless lines like "stop climate change" is just not useful and she is a big proponent of renewables which clearly demonstrates her knowledge on the subject is limited at best (similar to your average politician tbh), given she doesn’t acknowledge any of the shortcomings of renewable energy nor does she understand the actual impact these energy sources have on the natural world in terms of space, wildlife etc. She is like most loud people with a "cause" very superficial and actually incorrect.
She passes on answering any serious questions usually. She is just a religious zealot.
You'd almost think there was no one but her there :rolleyes:
Reply 15
Original post by Djtoodles
If was to dump all the knowledge I have accumulated on this subject it would read like war and peace. Suffice to say spouting pointless lines like "stop climate change" is just not useful and she is a big proponent of renewables which clearly demonstrates her knowledge on the subject is limited at best (similar to your average politician tbh), given she doesn’t acknowledge any of the shortcomings of renewable energy nor does she understand the actual impact these energy sources have on the natural world in terms of space, wildlife etc. She is like most loud people with a "cause" very superficial and actually incorrect.

So you're saying, on the basis of no evidence at all, and overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that renewables are worse for the environment than fossil fuels? 🙄🙄🙄

And yet you accuse her of knowing nothing about it...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by DSilva

Except that isnt wehat shes after she wants zero emissions and for people to live like cavemen. Suffice it to say, people dislike being lectured on their daily habits by a teenager who doesnt even practice what she preaches. Ironically she probably has a higher carbon footprint than most people given her propensity for travelling around the place waving placards and telling people to sit infront of traffic.
Reply 17
Original post by The RAR
This.
She comes from a very privileged family who used a **** ton of fossil fuels, and tells us plebs to reign down on our use of fossil fuels. Someone as naive as Greta isn't smart enough to have such a large audience and attention, she is just a face and there is probably someone in the shadows controlling her.

I'm not sure id say anyone is controlling her, she seems a big enough egotist that all the stuff she says and does she believes in. Although the nonsense about blaming her notional illness (i think austisdm or something?) on the state of the climate really put the nail in the coffin for any respect for her for me to be honest. But hey ho, what is a simple planet killing pleb such as myself to do in the face of the elite like her?
Reply 18
Original post by Napp
Except that isnt wehat shes after she wants zero emissions and for people to live like cavemen. Suffice it to say, people dislike being lectured on their daily habits by a teenager who doesnt even practice what she preaches. Ironically she probably has a higher carbon footprint than most people given her propensity for travelling around the place waving placards and telling people to sit infront of traffic.

I don't think she wants zero emissions, she wants net zero, which isn't the same thing. Some emissions will always occur, it's about minimising those as much as reasonable.

She doesn't fly nor does she eat meat. Anyway a lot of this strikes me a bit of attacking the person not the argument.

An argument stands and falls on its own merits. If people want to debate and question her arguments they should do so, rather than attacking her personally.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DSilva
So you're saying, on the basis of no evidence at all, and overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that renewables are worse for the environment than fossil fuels? 🙄🙄🙄

And yet you accuse her of knowing nothing about it...

Lol are you one of those who reads something entirely different to what has been written? Please show me where i say "renewables are worse for the environment than fossil fuels". I can wait.

If you don’t know what the negative impacts that renewables have on the environment are I can explain. Suffice to say if you want to go green you need to follow the French example (which fyi she doesnt like) and if you want to pointlessly destroy countless natural habitats in an effort to appease some virtue signalling adolescent then follow the German example.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending