The Student Room Group

Best unis for Law - Warwick/Leeds/Birmingham/York/Exeter

Hi,

I am struggling to decide between Uni of Leeds, Uni of Warwick, Uni of Birmingham, Uni of York and Uni of Exeter in terms of prestige/employment prospects. For context, I want to be a barrister. As these are all RG and all ranked pretty well struggling to decide which is best?
Reply 1
leeds and exceter are better but theyre all good, birmingham and york are the bottom of the range youve given and york is in the middle id say
There’s 5 UCAS options and you have listed 5 unis who are honestly all on the same ‘level’.

Things to consider are contextual offers so you know if you can insure any of them and location. Living in Warwick and Exeter is different than Birmingham and Leeds.

Have you already decided on any other unis you want to apply to?
Reply 3
Original post by LawStudent456
There’s 5 UCAS options and you have listed 5 unis who are honestly all on the same ‘level’.

Things to consider are contextual offers so you know if you can insure any of them and location. Living in Warwick and Exeter is different than Birmingham and Leeds.

Have you already decided on any other unis you want to apply to?

Hi, I already have my grades :smile: so that’s less of an issue for me, I meet the requirements for 4/5, only one that is ‘aspirational’ is warwick. I’ve sent these five off, so they are likely to be my options (unless i change within the next 2 weeks,) do you feel these are good law schools/ allow me to work for a bigger firm?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ivy331
leeds and exceter are better but theyre all good, birmingham and york are the bottom of the range youve given and york is in the middle id say

thanks!! so of the two, which do you feel would be viewed better; leeds or exeter?
Original post by destinydb
Hi, I already have my grades :smile: so that’s less of an issue for me, I meet the requirements for 4/5, only one that is ‘aspirational’ is warwick. I’ve sent these five off, so they are likely to be my options (unless i change within the next 2 weeks,) do you feel these are good law schools/ allow me to work for a bigger firm?

Ignore Ivy. Leeds and Exeter are no better than the others mentioned.

How is Warwick aspirational when their entry requirements are AAA and Leeds are A*AA? are you international student?
In terms of academic standards and graduate prospects there is little or nothing to choose between any of these. As a very rough guide, take a look at these rankings:

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/law

There are, however, huge differences between the learning and lifestyle experiences they offer. Having studied over the years at Warwick, Leeds and York I can vouch for that.

Birmingham and Leeds are located on the edge of large cosmopolitan cities, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings. Exeter and York are on the outskirts of much smaller, historic cities with student populations which tend to be somewhat less diverse. York is also one of only six English universities that are collegiate. The colleges are more than just halls of residence and many students think that gives them a sense of identity and helps them fit in.

Warwick is an out and out campus university a few miles outside of Coventry and has an unashamedly modern and business oriented outlook.

In ordering a list of priorities, the OP would be well advised to do a virtual tour of each area and then visit whichever two or three looked most favourable. And, of course, it is most important to look in detail at the course structure and choice of option modules available. Finally, it is worth bearing in mind that York's undergraduate courses in Law place a strong emphasis on collaborative study or 'problem based learning', which suits some but not others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=637V80WxvLw
Reply 7

How is Warwick aspirational when their entry requirements are AAA and Leeds are A*AA? are you international student?

For some of the others I have lowered offers due to EPQ/contextual offers, so the entry requirements are all much lower than the grades I received, whereas Warwick would not offer me an epq/contextual offer.
For some of the others I have lowered offers due to EPQ/contextual offers, so the entry requirements are all much lower than the grades I received, whereas Warwick would not offer me an epq/contextual offer.

You already have the grades tho so I don’t think it makes any odds tbh
Reply 9
thanks!! so of the two, which do you feel would be viewed better; leeds or exeter?

generically speaking exceter has more of a reputation per say for being selective however leeds academically does still hold up, my main point would be that its like comparing oxford to ucl the academic requirements are almost the same however oxford is generally seem as more reputable
Reply 10

take this with a grain of salt the university you aspire to should be your ideal placement and this included many other factors not juts the entry requirements. even if you get higher grades than what you use to attended those universities the a levels you have will remain in your job applications and etc at this moment id say organise your preferences on offers and other factors that are important to u eg: location module offers placements many universities place higher entry standards to receive better applicants it does not however automatically connotate to a better university in ever instance just be wary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending