The Student Room Group

What are advanced highers like?

My school makes you do three advanced highers in S6 which I think may be too much work! 😖😫how do you manage the workload? Are advanced highers a good idea/how many advanced highers are the right amount? I want to do biology for sure maybe history?? Thanks for any replies
I do 2 advanced highers.. economics + business. I don't find the workload to be overly stressful tbh - just make sure to be good at time management and you'll be totally fine : ) I can't speak from personal experience but I've got a few friends who do history and say its just a lot to remember but its quite interesting. Best of Luck x
Original post by NellyCormack04
I do 2 advanced highers.. economics + business. I don't find the workload to be overly stressful tbh - just make sure to be good at time management and you'll be totally fine : ) I can't speak from personal experience but I've got a few friends who do history and say its just a lot to remember but its quite interesting. Best of Luck x

Thank you! That is good to hear :smile:
I am doing 2AH (maths, physics), 1 crash Higher and picked up another higher from my NAT5s.

My school allows us to drop one column if we do an AH, but we still need to do 4 subjects. If they had allowed 3AH only I would have jumped at it but I was worried 3AH and another higher would be too much.

AH are getting into even more depth and complexity, but if you grasp it ok they are not that much extra workload, although having the reduced course by not having the projects to do this year might make them feel like less work. They should also now be subjects you are good at and enjoy which I think always makes things easier.
Hey! Last year I did 2 Advanced Highers (English and History) and 2 Highers (Politics and RMPS)

The course content for history is quite intense (I did Britain in WW2) but it’s really interesting and I would definitely recommend it - I also found it a lot easier than higher so that’s a bonus!!

I would say overall, the workload is manageable if you get it all done and use your free periods to your advantage (though I did go to Tesco + Costa a lot🤦🏼*♀️)
And if you study for your prelims it will make the actual exam revision soooo much easier!!

:smile:
Original post by BlackLab
I am doing 2AH (maths, physics), 1 crash Higher and picked up another higher from my NAT5s.

My school allows us to drop one column if we do an AH, but we still need to do 4 subjects. If they had allowed 3AH only I would have jumped at it but I was worried 3AH and another higher would be too much.

AH are getting into even more depth and complexity, but if you grasp it ok they are not that much extra workload, although having the reduced course by not having the projects to do this year might make them feel like less work. They should also now be subjects you are good at and enjoy which I think always makes things easier.

Thank you! Yes I think I will pick subjects I enjoy as it will make is easier :smile:
Original post by ChiaraThompson
Hey! Last year I did 2 Advanced Highers (English and History) and 2 Highers (Politics and RMPS)

The course content for history is quite intense (I did Britain in WW2) but it’s really interesting and I would definitely recommend it - I also found it a lot easier than higher so that’s a bonus!!

I would say overall, the workload is manageable if you get it all done and use your free periods to your advantage (though I did go to Tesco + Costa a lot🤦🏼*♀️)
And if you study for your prelims it will make the actual exam revision soooo much easier!!

:smile:

Wow thank you for the kind response! It helps me form a good picture of what’s it like to make my decision :smile:
Original post by NellyCormack04

Hi, I was wondering how you found advanced higher business and if it’s an interesting and fairly decent course? I am allowed to crash either advanced or higher business this year and am unsure on which one.
Original post by warishahshahid
Hi, I was wondering how you found advanced higher business and if it’s an interesting and fairly decent course? I am allowed to crash either advanced or higher business this year and am unsure on which one.

Hi there,

It really depends on your work ethic, as Advanced Higher Business can be quite a full-on and in-depth course. If I were in your position, I'd think about it in relation to whether you are taking other Advanced Higher courses. Will you be able to fit in a whole new course that you've not studied before? As for Higher, I wouldn't say you'd find it too difficult at all.

Hope this helps!
Reply 9
Original post by ChiaraThompson
Hey! Last year I did 2 Advanced Highers (English and History) and 2 Highers (Politics and RMPS)The course content for history is quite intense (I did Britain in WW2) but it’s really interesting and I would definitely recommend it - I also found it a lot easier than higher so that’s a bonus!! I would say overall, the workload is manageable if you get it all done and use your free periods to your advantage (though I did go to Tesco Costa a lot🤦🏼*♀️) And if you study for your prelims it will make the actual exam revision soooo much easier!! :smile:
Oml I’m studying advance higher history at the moment, do you have any recommendations for learning the course? Our teacher has never taught it before and we’re the schools first advance higher history class in a while.
Reply 10
Original post by Science girl
My school makes you do three advanced highers in S6 which I think may be too much work! 😖😫how do you manage the workload? Are advanced highers a good idea/how many advanced highers are the right amount? I want to do biology for sure maybe history?? Thanks for any replies

I’m currently studying 3 advance highers (Maths, English and History) and crashing a Higher (Chemistry).

Overall it’s not so bad if you can use your study time effectively. And it helps if you are good at reaching out when you need help.

For me I attend only half of my maths lessons and half of my English as they are on at the same time so I must teach myself the parts I miss out on showing it is doable but you must be self-disciplined.

I think the most daunting part of advance highers, for me,would be dissertations only because I haven’t had to do any until now my final and most important year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending