The Student Room Group

Counselling is utter trash

Now this is from my own experience with the sheets of smiley faces but share your own experience down below whether you agree with me or not (try to persuade me).

Scroll to see replies

It can be. But the person having the counselling has to be keen to open up, realistic and patient.
Having a counsellor won't magically make you feel better, they're people not miracle workers.
I think it's important to be realistic about what you actually want the counselor to do, how you want to be helped and what you want to change in your life.
Why does anyone need to persuade you?
Reply 3
You can’t expect it to be a magic wand. However in my experience IF you hit a bit of rapport with your counsellor it can be helpful
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
It can be. But the person having the counselling has to be keen to open up, realistic and patient.
Having a counsellor won't magically make you feel better, they're people not miracle workers.
I think it's important to be realistic about what you actually want the counselor to do, how you want to be helped and what you want to change in your life.

My counsellor was nice. But I realised that I was wasting my time when I realised having a counsellor is just basically me talking about my problems and them saying ‘yes uhm yes aww don’t be like that’. I spent 9 months in counselling if you’re wondering and I did my absolute best to get the most out of it. But as a young child, I thought that’s it, mental health support is only that much. I wasn’t aware of therapists and psychiatrists coz nobody had the professional idea to refer me to someone. Although when they did, the treatments were very unprofessional and underfunded.
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
You can’t expect it to be a magic wand. However in my experience IF you hit a bit of rapport with your counsellor it can be helpful

My counsellor was nice and that’s it. She didn’t know how to tackle my problems and just listened. I didn’t want someone to just listen. I wanted someone to understand and actually help me with becoming better from my illness. But they decided it wasn’t that serious or important. That’s just the nhs sometimes.
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
Why does anyone need to persuade you?

Basically I’m trying to see the other side of things but I want to mainly talk with people who’ve had the same horrible experience as me just to listen to their stories.
Original post by Honey57
Basically I’m trying to see the other side of things but I want to mainly talk with people who’ve had the same horrible experience as me just to listen to their stories.

I have no horrible experiences to share, I'm afraid.
Reply 8
Original post by black tea
I have no horrible experiences to share, I'm afraid.

That’s fine. Honestly, it’s good hearing stuff like this. It feels like there is still hope and that not all people suffer.
Original post by Honey57
That’s fine. Honestly, it’s good hearing stuff like this. It feels like there is still hope and that not all people suffer.

I've never had counselling :redface:
Counselling should compliment an overall wider solution to a problem you're facing personally, coupled with your own work as an individual on your own mental well-being, support from family, friends, colleagues and setting realistic goals for you to achieve.

Counselling alone will seldom be the answer.
Reply 11
Original post by dbhc2411
Counselling should compliment an overall wider solution to a problem you're facing personally, coupled with your own work as an individual on your own mental well-being, support from family, friends, colleagues and setting realistic goals for you to achieve.

Counselling alone will seldom be the answer.

Yessss I like this idea of what it should be like. But unfortunately I didn’t have this experience because tbh I think my counsellor didn’t have this view and the right knowledge to help people.
Reply 12
Yeah I know
Hopefully it changes in the future and therapists and counsellors actually take their jobs seriously rather then just feeling sorry for us.
Reply 13
Why would anyone want to argue about it when its such a personal thing and your mind is so utterly made up?

I mean, in ones experience it is **** but plenty of people swear by it and if nothing else its handy to have a notionally nonjudgmental talking board.
Original post by Honey57
My counsellor was nice. But I realised that I was wasting my time when I realised having a counsellor is just basically me talking about my problems and them saying ‘yes uhm yes aww don’t be like that’. I spent 9 months in counselling if you’re wondering and I did my absolute best to get the most out of it. But as a young child, I thought that’s it, mental health support is only that much. I wasn’t aware of therapists and psychiatrists coz nobody had the professional idea to refer me to someone. Although when they did, the treatments were very unprofessional and underfunded.

In my experience the most useful therapist was a psychotherapist I paid for privately.He had a actual action plan of how to help me and also did offer opinions about what I was saying.I saw quite a few sympathetic smiley faces before him.Many years later I found a useful counsellor.At that time I did need someone to listen but she was also pro active with ideas and challenging my thinking.Look at qualifications and if they are no good after 6 sessions ie not working in the right way for you find another one.
Original post by Honey57
My counsellor was nice and that’s it. She didn’t know how to tackle my problems and just listened. I didn’t want someone to just listen. I wanted someone to understand and actually help me with becoming better from my illness. But they decided it wasn’t that serious or important. That’s just the nhs sometimes.

i had therapy on the nhs, and my therapist was such a nice person. however, one of her suggestions for me to try was having a hot shower? like i get it's relaxing but how is a shower going to help my problems lol
Depends on what you want to get out of it, the rapport you have with your counsellor and how much effort you're willing to put in
Reply 17
Original post by bones-mccoy
Depends on what you want to get out of it, the rapport you have with your counsellor and how much effort you're willing to put in

It also depends on how much the counsellor has experienced and effort that they’re willing to put in as well
Original post by Honey57
It also depends on how much the counsellor has experienced and effort that they’re willing to put in as well

I was taking that as a given
A couple of things to add to this (& I will declare an interest - married to a counsellor):

1) As has been said before, counselling isn't a magic bullet, they are facilitators. They can help, but it is up to you to do the work
2) The choice of a counsellor is a very personal and the relationship is an important factor in any result. Ask around for recommendations and don't be afraid to try a single session to see if you 'click', if not, find someone else.
3) Most importantly, there is no legal restriction on who can call themselves a counsellor. Before starting with a counsellor, I would recommend that you check if they are accredited by one of the professional bodies (either BACP or UKCP). They will then be properly trained and work to an ethical framework. There are a lot of charlatans out there who will charge silly money, work without training and probably cause more harm than Article on unqualified Therapists

Quick Reply

Latest