The Student Room Group

Warwick monthly costs

Hi,
I am an Economics offer holder for the undergrad program. I am thinking of staying at Whitefield since that's the cheapest and I wanted to know what would be the average monthly living costs. Whitefield provides laundry but doesn't include a meal plan so how much would groceries and travel and going out add up to on average?
Completely depends on your lifestyle, I average about £30 a week on food/going out/other expenses, but I don't go out a lot and don't leave campus much. I imagine if you're planning to go out in Leamington/Coventry a lot then the cost of buses and drinks would add up quickly. Also, you aren't guaranteed your top choice (or even one of your top 6 choices), so make sure you'd be able to budget if you did end up in a more expensive option.

Just to note, there are laundry facilities, but you still have to pay to use them. I don't know the Whitefields price since they (and Rootes) use a different company to the rest of campus, but it's probably just a few pounds per wash or dry.
Original post by vanshika20
how much would groceries and travel and going out add up to on average?

Questions like this are always impossible to answer -- it depends on your lifestyle and needs.

Even something like tea bags you have the range of "supermarket basics range", "supermarket branded" (e.g. Sainsbury's red label), "mass-market branded" (e,g,PG Tips, Typhoo), "speciality" (e.g. Twinings Lapsang Souchong), "esoteric" (e.g. something you have to get Harrods to order in specially).

Travel - how often will you need to travel, to where, and by what means?

Going out - again, how often? And what's your idea of "going out"? There's a big difference between "meeting friends once a week for a couple of drinks and then retiring early" and "going out three times a week, visiting three clubs, drinking eight pints and having a kebab afterwards and then going home by taxi".
Reply 3
Original post by Interea
Completely depends on your lifestyle, I average about £30 a week on food/going out/other expenses, but I don't go out a lot and don't leave campus much. I imagine if you're planning to go out in Leamington/Coventry a lot then the cost of buses and drinks would add up quickly. Also, you aren't guaranteed your top choice (or even one of your top 6 choices), so make sure you'd be able to budget if you did end up in a more expensive option.

Just to note, there are laundry facilities, but you still have to pay to use them. I don't know the Whitefields price since they (and Rootes) use a different company to the rest of campus, but it's probably just a few pounds per wash or dry.

oh wow okay, I dint know that about the laundry and preference thing. So if i dont go out a lot for food and just buy groceries and cook and go out a few times a month then I should consider the costs as 300 pounds a month? Also, do you know how much could I earn monthly by a part time job?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by martin7
Questions like this are always impossible to answer -- it depends on your lifestyle and needs.

Even something like tea bags you have the range of "supermarket basics range", "supermarket branded" (e.g. Sainsbury's red label), "mass-market branded" (e,g,PG Tips, Typhoo), "speciality" (e.g. Twinings Lapsang Souchong), "esoteric" (e.g. something you have to get Harrods to order in specially).

Travel - how often will you need to travel, to where, and by what means?

Going out - again, how often? And what's your idea of "going out"? There's a big difference between "meeting friends once a week for a couple of drinks and then retiring early" and "going out three times a week, visiting three clubs, drinking eight pints and having a kebab afterwards and then going home by taxi".

ahh right yae my bad:/

all basics for groceries and for going out prolly very less in the start but then depending on my part-time job salary, my going out could vary ig. Then how much do you think the cost would add up to? Also, do you know how much could I earn monthly by a part-time job?
@_gcx might be able to give some insight into this? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
@_gcx might be able to give some insight into this? :smile:

do I need to message him?
Original post by vanshika20
do I need to message him?

No, I tagged them so they can see this thread and reply in their own time...
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
No, I tagged them so they can see this thread and reply in their own time...

oh okay thankyouuu so muchh
£300 pm is totally doable, I spent about that without paying attention to my spending. You could easily half that if you were economical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending